Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

I know 100’s of these sidewalk building’s in Zhonghe, but in all honesty the headline is wack, as it goes that’s quite an attractive building for Taiwan.

2 Likes

The article ends with this confusing sentence about the outcome of the case:

In the end, the court ruled against the store manager. [The court] called for Li to reimburse the store NT$600 for the batch of ruined tea eggs.

3 Likes

Garage door is not square with the ground either.

2 Likes

Normal, Yonghe someone built a wooden glass shed style building in same sidwalk position, sloping with the paving. Anyhow a seamstress moves into this abomination to do sewing service, 2 weeks later council or whoever goverment department tell them to remove.
They deconstruct then build again across the road!! again sloping with the sidewalk looking such a state with build - remove - rebuild, 1 week later goverment department rip it down and take it away.

3 Likes

Question: how come the sidewalk is considered “private property”?

7 Likes

Construction will be demolished if found to be built without planning permission

It’s not really a very big if is it? Suggestion for the author, look up a relevant law and quote it in the article for reference.

3 Likes

It’s already gained national notoriety, it’s all over the news, it makes Changhua look terrible . . . My prediction is that it’ll be taken down pronto.

Guy

1 Like

I’m available to help smash it into a million pieces. Just putting it out there.

1 Like

Well, I mean…it’s not like that’s hard to do.

2 Likes

That’s a bit harsh. It’s a birthplace of the modern environmental movement in Taiwan, starting in Lugang and radiating out.

And a hell of a lot of the food produced in Taiwan is from that part of the island.

I’d like to give them the benefit of the doubt here, and to see what happens. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

I don’t see how that makes a place nice lol

1 Like

They were at least trying to keep it nice. They successfully stopped DuPont from setting up shop in Lugang in the 1980s. This was linked to wider protests against the top-down planning (i.e. no local consultation) of the KMT authoritarian state. These protests helped to bring an end to the dictatorship era. Taiwan today is far from perfect, but it is—following this social movement in Changhua—less imperfect due to their efforts.

Guy

3 Likes

You say this like it’s a good thing… :smirk:

I’m saying that their attempts (not always successful) to keep high polluting outfits like DuPont out should be viewed with respect, not derision.

Guy

1 Like

Wait…what are you saying? DuPont was lined up to take over food production in Changhua? :astonished:

If you are not familiar with this story, I can recommend you (later) have a look at the opening of this superb documentary, which I have recommended elsewhere on this site:

Guy

1 Like

OK, but back to the more serious topic of food…how about tangyuan garlic clam chicken pizza with eyeballs? :drooling_face:

8 Likes

:face_vomiting:

OK now we are on the same (vomit laden) page.

Guy

Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

A think a movement should be started to eliminate that danger from our community.

2 Likes