Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

I can fully vouch for this, a friend of mine was involved in an accident that resulted in the deaths of a pregnant woman her friend and her kids. Even though he wasn’t to blame, it was only after the investigation and going through the evedence meticulously at the inquest, that he come to terms with he fact there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. It also protected him legally as the woman’s family was trying to sue everyone and anyone to get a payout, including the mechanic who serviced her car the week before.

9 Likes

In South America they eat them like chickens. But yeah, they probably slaughter them ‘humane’

5 Likes

That’s why they were domesticated originally. They’re one of the few animals domesticated in the Americas.

6 Likes

Gidammit I hate face masks so much now.

10 Likes

This is not a burger. A burger by definition “a dish consisting of a flat round cake of minced beef”

Throwing a slice of bacon on a bun with lettuce does not make a bacon and cheese burger. Not the first time ive encountered similar (a gourmet cheese sandwich that was 90 percent lettuce–the advertised ingredient should be the majority)

No wonder private cafes barely last a year here. I bought this thinking a “bacon cheeseburger” would be nice. Instead I get handed this.

I got a refund.

7 Likes

Mhh… lettuce with cheese. Did you ask for the recipe? :laughing:

4 Likes

That looks like it has, like, zero nutrition—and almost certainly carcinogens with the faux “bacon” or “ham” or whatever that pink meat may be. :slightly_frowning_face:

Not a great way to start the day!

Guy

3 Likes

Not A Burger

Not Toast
white-bread-500x500-1

14 Likes

Why does Taiwanese milk taste so different to Western milk. At Costco I bought milk from USA and NZ, and both taste they should: creamy.

Taiwanese full fat milk doesn’t taste creamy at all.

Is it possible they’re extracted some cream/fat from it before sale? The ingredients could still say 100% milk.

Also been discussed before, but Taiwanese milk also never seems to go sour. Worrying.

4 Likes

Have you seen the grass here?

1 Like

I’ve found in every Asian country I’ve lived the milk was awful. I’ve chalked it up to chemicals they put it as preservatives (because these aren’t milk drinking cultures and they drink it slowly) as well as the lactose problem (hence the cultural difference, most Asians are lactose intolerant aren’t they?). and possibly chalk, usually sugar.

I guess the food, and the weather, probably play a role as well

1 Like

You are what you eat.

1 Like

This bit is always a mystery

I always thought it was heat treated, like the Sterilised milk my family got delivered from the milkman when i was growing up.

1 Like

Some milk around here is actually produced by mixing cream, water and milk powder.

You need to look for that sticker as I‘ve learned:

Have you tried the IMEI milk (which they‘re also selling at Costco)? Does it have the same issue in your opinion?

3 Likes

It’s raining, which means it’s time to complain about the glazed decorative marble shops insisting on putting outside. I felt my feet slide four times on the walk to the MRT station. I really hate that. They might possibly be the worst thing in Taiwan because it’s pure idiocy.

13 Likes

Yeah, it’s totally ridiculous to do this, especially in a city that rains so much. I often just walk in the road and/or the rain on the non-tiled part of the pavement to avoid the tiles.

9 Likes

But they look nice and shiny

5 Likes

This is part of surviving in Taiwan—to develop acute unconscious abilities to detect those danger zones (idiotic tiles in the rain, blind corners, etc) that could lead to trouble, and adjust accordingly.

Guy

9 Likes