Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

Those gas tanks even empty are heavy. If full, that is damn dangerous.

If parts of you crave some tea!

3 Likes

Do they have, ‘salty’?

It’s happened again: 3 times in 6 months.

3 Likes

Sorry…I think this is whack.

Some of my wife’s friends are not admitting they have covid. My wife has a group of close friends who meet at least once every month. They discuss various personal issues all the time but until yesterday were not willing to tell each other they had covid. After one person told the group she had covid another 3 admitted they had covid. The wife thinks they were embarrassed to admit they had covid.

Then the wife hears about an intern at a hospital. She has covid but is not telling the hospital she works at because she does not want to cause trouble for her colleagues. She worries if she stays at home to quarantine her colleagues workload will increase.

15 Likes

“Save face, not lives”

15 Likes

This is happening everywhere. I have kids taking time off because they have a sore leg, stomach ache, their gran is visiting etc. anything but admit someone in the house has covid.

7 Likes

I’m pretty happy that my students are admitting they’ve got COVID (unless they’re lying to get out of class?). There’s definitely still some stigma and shame attached to it, but I think that’s quickly reducing with the rapid spread.

I’ve had a couple of students apologize for not being careful enough, which I think is sort of sad.

7 Likes

A friend in the Navy got Covid last month while attending a work conference in Taipei. Her superiors told her that she should have just kept it quiet and put up with it, and that she was causing the Navy a lot of trouble as many people in the conference will need to isolate and they might have to cancel the whole conference. She replied “Good. Hopefully that will stop the spread. You’re welcome.”

Ok I may be paraphrasing. Anyway, they then threatened her career and told her to forget about ever getting a promotion.

That’s the ROC Armed Forces for ya.

10 Likes

FIFY

Lots of people do not have days off or are entitled to any compensation.

The same pressure people have taking a day off even if not sick from.bosses and colleagues since most workplaces are understaffed and overbooked.

It was the same before when people went to work sick or recently operated. How many people do you know take time off here for chemo or birth?

And talking about pregnancy, there is the old time favorite being at least scolded/demoted or even fired for getting pregnant/giving birth.

COVID? Truck on.

There was a boss who made the news here by posting “people who work don’t get sick” on the company website.

6 Likes

Covid is now significantly harmless. Punishments for having Covid are harmful.

1 Like

You’re right, my sweeping statement doesn’t cover the full complexity of the choices people are forced to make during this chaos.

Fuck, I mean I’m a bit hypocritical for making that statement as I was forced to do something similar, I had an itchy throat but didn’t test as I couldn’t afford to not have wages for 2 weeks and I live in the UK.

7 Likes

I often see a guy who has 8 dogs which run alongside his motorcycle. Today I saw him drive across the street from his house and stop. Well, his 8 dogs then starting pooping and pissing in front of his neighbor’s house. Then he drove off with his eight dogs following him (well, looked more like 10 dogs this time). I thought that was mighty neighborly of him.

I used to have a guy walking 6 dogs come down the street in front of our house. After I noticed more dog poop in front of my house I gave him a dirty look. He then started taking a short cut which bypassed my house. Good. Better he have them poop elsewhere. My house is the only one on this street and there is a thousand meters of roads without houses near me.

7 Likes

Overall it seems reasonable. They are at least keeping the kids out, which does show that they’re caring about others. Sending them to school would be the actual dick move.

Unfortunately the system is clearly set up that “admitting” infection has significant penalties, so it’s not surprising that a lot of people are hiding it.

If the official number is 50,000, the true number must be at least 5x that, in my opinion

If so, that would be around 250,000 new infections per day right now. That is more than 1% of the population, which I remember reading would be the peak of an omicron wave (say around 230,000 new cases per day). I’d be surprised if the actual numbers were that high right now, but who knows.

Guy

My justification as follows:

I personally know 5 “independent” groups of people who have tested positive. i.e. not people under one roof, but different groups of friends, colleagues, family.

It’s certainly common that people who are positive are not disclosing it. According to posts here, this is super common. I read yesterday about kids off school because of sore legs and other excuses. People in LINE trading photos of negative test results.

If we operate on a basis of the official 370,000 cases so far in this wave, that’s 1.6% of the population (or 1 in 63 people) have had Covid. Given that I personally know 20+ positive cases, I would have to know 1,260 people, which I definitely do not. (It’s an overestimate of about 10x.) Maybe that’s selection bias from me being in Taipei with more cases. Or maybe not.

Anyway, that’s how I arrived at 5:1. This variant is crazy infectious and Taiwan has not really slowed down anything. Everybody still going to work. Restaurants open. Leisure activities still on. There’s also the inconvenience of testing and reporting, producing under-estimates of the real count.

So I don’t find 250,000/day to be that unbelievable.

Everything about this is wack. Read the article yourself. I mean everything.

Passengers waiting at stations on the Bannan Line (Blue Line) and the Songshan–Xindian (Green Line) heard the new jingle for Darlie Toothpaste as trains neared the platform. This was unusual, as most lines, with the exception of the Wenhu Line (Brown Line), usually play various songs, all without lyrics.

However, on Tuesday, instead of the standard melody, passengers on the Blue and Green lines heard a song featuring lyrics sung by Wei Li-an (韋禮安), who goes by the stage name WeiBird. The key refrain from the song is “The Black Person Toothpaste of the past is now Haolai, fresh and confident. Call me Haolai.”

5 Likes

Sure they buy it. If you want a food hit just throw everything together and serve.

Danger ( 危險) is his middle name.

3 Likes