Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

Welp…I made some posts earlier about feeling iffy about sushi because a lot of people don’t wash their hands…but not the only thing you have to look out for. Next time you go to an izakaya might want to check the soy sauce container as well…could be full of mold.

Don’t worry though…they’ll still post on Facebook how they “disinfect the place”.
Why do places like this not get named in the news? Nothing wrong with me sharing the name of the place is there?

Also hilarious how 東森新聞 CH51 censors the picture of the mold…

6 Likes

This is all about SOPs and Restaurant Operation 101.

It’s no secret that many places in Taiwan do not follow SOPs.

You’ll have more luck with this if the managers on site / operators are Japanese.

Guy

3 Likes

My wife also bough some "spicy"lubricant, that all her “taiwan girl forum” talk about . That Stimulates both.

We tried and for her felt good…only the sensation but made difficult for reach it…it was longer.

1- Makes more slippery, cons from our perspective.
2- We used in a cabin while camping, no AC, very hot…ajd with that lube… everything was on fire.

3- We clean it up and continue without it.
We used for 10mins, not reach.
After clean it, 15 mins as normally sx she reach 3 and i could feel more and finish.

If keep that thing…maybe i will have a cramp first before reach it

3 Likes

I didn’t know it was on in advance. I turned up on the day, saw it was on and was immediately put off by the extortionate price. $400NT to browse a dozen taco stands lol

Events like that should be free to enter–or at the very least, a low price. Not $400nt which is ludicrous.

3 Likes

Yeah, I assume the organizers wanted to cover their costs and make some money on the event. Maybe you could found a pro bono Taipei taco society and do it for free.

I agree it was a little on the pricey side though, especially if you didn’t buy a presale ticket for whatever reason. I understand that the sellers needed to pay several thousand to be there as well.

1 Like

Going back to my unfortunate experience at one of these quite a few years ago: the price may have been a ham-fisted way of limiting unnecessary crowding, and to make sure that everyone was there to buy tacos rather than, I dunno, rubberneck (and I’m constantly amazed by what will attract onlookers in Taiwan!). It was almost impossible to even walk around the one time I attended, although that was at a different venue.

1 Like

Yeah, it was fairly busy when I went there on Saturday evening and that occurred to me as well - the space wasn’t huge, and a load of curious grandmas staring at every stall but not buying anything probably wouldn’t have made things better.

Only bought one drink at the drinks stall though, on account of the price (NT$250 for a canned beer). After that we decided to buy drinks in 7-11 or Crafted (also NT$250-350 for canned beers, and I definitely don’t like that there are no price labels there :scream:, but much more of a range).

1 Like
6 Likes

Good God! That photo instantly put my starfish on pucker mode. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Another classic post.

1 Like

Holy shit.

Good craft beer is typically this price. Hops are expensive.

I should note that Saturday wasn’t the first time I’ve bought or drunk beer.

1 Like

Are you on Untappd?

I’m not. I think I installed it a couple of years ago but ended up never using it (as part of a general move to spending less time staring at my phone).

My problem with the drinks stand at the event was just they only had one real “regular” IPA I wanted to drink (plus two or three others that were pineapple or stout or whatever, all canned, and a few cocktails), and in that context NT$250 per can to drink while standing around without a table and juggling paper plates of tacos seemed a bit pricey. I would have happily spent quite a lot more over the course of the evening if they’d had more variety, slightly lower prices, or some decent draft beers like Redpoint. But they didn’t, so we bought drinks elsewhere.

3 Likes

Or something

6 Likes

Is this wack, or just cool?

Yilan Bus Station circa 1984.

Guy

6 Likes

The person who did this needs to be found and locked up. Shitbag

4 Likes

At first I thought you were responding to the architectural confection I posted. I thought the response was a bit harsh.

Then I realized nope, it’s the grimmer post above you’re referencing. :neutral_face:

Guy

5 Likes

Seems a bit Lego to me. I kinda like it.

1 Like