Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

True. I’m not saying they shouldn’t wear a helmet. Hell, I don’t think kids should be on scooters at all(don’t even get me started on standing in front of their parents)… but I’m imagining that the times the kids aren’t wearing one, they’re in a situation where their aunt/uncle/grandpa/neighbor’s cousin’s dog’s owner picked them up from somewhere on a moment’s notice and the kid doesn’t just happen to have a helmet with then.

1 Like

Right, she should be strapped to an Ama’s back.

1 Like

10 Likes

Yum, tasty snack:

3 Likes

Taiwans dog shite drainage. Every time thers rain, the streets end up ankle deep. Then a few days later it stinks to high heaven

3 Likes

Talking with strangers can be fun, but boy it sure is awkward when someone wants to get affirmation about how great and beautiful Taiwan is while they proceed to start smoking and just tossing their cigarettes wherever they want (too lazy to even stomp it out), bonus points if people are burning paper money nearby and making a lot of smoke. Yeah…Taiwan sure is beautiful alright

5 Likes

That stuff is invisible to them, they don’t see it as it’s been normalized.

This will only stop if and when the majority of the temples take a leadership role to say the gods are fine if we don’t put more particles in the air. Some temples in Taipei have already started this trend, but we’ll need more for this to catch on.

Guy

4 Likes

I kid you not…someone has a raccoon chained up inside a cage as a pet outside a Familymart near my kid’s school.
A raccoon!

Is that even legal?

Chaining up or caging any animal, especially in this heat, is wack enough on its own. But being a raccoon takes it to a whole nother level of wack.

Anyone chaining up or caging an animal, especially in this heat, deserves to be chained up or caged themselves and left outside to roast in the noonday sun.

8 Likes

Cnuts. Is it worth reporting them to the authorities? Taiwan does have functioning animal-protection laws these days. Remember this?

3 Likes

Take pictures and videos to use as evidence and call the Taipei City Animal Protection Office

Tel: 886-2-8789-7158
Fax: 886-2-2722-1540
Address: No. 109, Ln. 600, Wuxing St., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City 110022 , Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Hours: Monday through Friday 09:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.

Taipei Animal Shelter

Tel: 886-2-8791-3254 #3254,3255
Fax: 886-2-2791-3867
Address:No. 191, Anmei St., Neihu Dist., Taipei City 114044 , Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Hours: Tuesday through Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Direct Line of Animal Rescue Service:
1999 or (02)87913064~5

7 Likes

done

10 Likes

Sad story, especially because it was totally preventable.

Previous customers and parents must have known he and his students weren’t using life jackets. But no one challenged him.

2 Likes

This is sad and easily preventable. I’ll never understand why people would want to learn how to sail, without first knowing how to swim. They were in a lake, flat ass water, no current, only 500 meters from shore. Only thing I can think of is they got caught in a bunch of netting or fishing line and couldn’t untangle.

This shit really pisses me off.
Terrible lack of safety.

2 Likes

I personally know (knew) someone who drowned in exactly this manner. Out on a boat, couldn’t swim, and presumably no life jacket (I didn’t ask). Beyond tragic, particularly for the family left behind. I think people who grow up in concrete boxes just have an extremely poor understanding of the many ways Nature can kill you.

4 Likes

Just tell the kids that the parents don’t love them.

3 Likes

Apparently the police were wrong…the coach wasn’t wearing a life jacket but the student was, at least in this latest report that’s what it says.

Following an autopsy Thursday morning, prosecutor Yen Yu-shan (顏郁山) told reporters that no serious injuries had been found on the bodies of the two, adding that Wang had been wearing a life jacket while Tsai had not.

Every year there’s always some wack drowning stories in Taiwan, some sadder than others, some with rippling effects that cause areas to get a blanket ban by the govt…

I’m still surprised about the drowning at Guguan area in Dajia River a week or so ago where a 16 year old drowned when going up to the Maling Natural hot spring with some friends. He slipped and fell while crossing the river but somehow ended up in the deep part…at least from what the news implies he was crossing at the regular area which is plenty shallow enough with water below your knees, so no idea how he drowned other than he panicked or accidentally swallowed some water when he fell. Also the private TaiPower road was mentioned in the report too since it’s technically closed off and not allowed for people to pass through, but lots of people do, climbing over or around the fence and some barbed water had been cut through as well. Would be nice if they opened that road up for people. As far as I know TaiPower does nothing with that property, just all abandoned buildings and a road that’s still in good condition.

1 Like

Begs the question - how does someone drown while wearing a life jacket?

I imagine got stuck under the skiff, the sail, or something and wasn’t able to move out into an open area.

3 Likes

For the ripple effects I mentioned earlier, I was mostly referring to areas getting banned, typically, water sports being banned, even when actual water activities weren’t even the cause of accidents or deaths sometimes. A big example is those people riding 4 wheelers down the beach as the typhoon was making it’s way to Taiwan and a few people got swept up and drowned, something some simple common sense could’ve prevented, yet the beach ended up having all water activities completely banned for years.

XiaoFei has a video on this actually.

5 Likes

If unconscious, they might not be able to keep their face out of the water.

3 Likes