Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

They usually wait until after Halloween.
Except my community building were the Christmas lights stay up all year round!

1 Like

Winter is coming. Time to stock up on cartoon kid’s butt hand warmers…

9 Likes
5 Likes

Police checks find foreigners with long visa overstays

9 Likes

This is far more likely in the US. Police are not allowed to deal with immigration there. But Taiwan police has no such handicap.

Presumably she was ID’d for the crime of “waiting while black.” :unamused:
I don’t think I’ve ever been ID’d (while not driving).

5 Likes

You don’t fast-talk your way out of it?

Well, I’ll try if it ever happens.

1 Like

That woman from Ghana must have quite the story.

Given all the things she must have gone through to get to this point, she deserves honorary or actual Taiwan citizenship.

Guy

7 Likes

I’ve never been ID’d either. Some police even asked me to have lunch with them :pensive:.
I feel bad for that lady but I hope she gets to see some of her relations in Ghana now. 34 years is a lifetime and it wouldn’t be easy here without an ID or NHi card all that time.

By the way there are a 100 stateless kids in an orphanage in Taipei, many of them surely have some Taiwanese heritage , that’s truly fucked up .

9 Likes

Cops don’t normally just go and ask you for id unless they’re giving a ticket or something. There must be a rule on this.

So maybe she was jaywalking?

Police in Taiwan have a long history of harassing Africans. Nothing to do with the rules.

12 Likes

No, it is racial profiling.

8 Likes

So how did she spend 30 years without being asked for id?

Who says she did? Maybe she talked her way out of it in the past.

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s still wack to me. Just last month this freezer case had ice cream in all 5 compartments. Now that the weather is “cold” there’s only one case with ice cream (which will be reduced to 2 shelves in winter).

7 Likes

11 Likes

It’s to make room for hot pot ingredients.

I’m questioning the economics of eating hot pots at home however. A lot of hot pot restaurants offer excellent value.

1 Like

A few moments ago. Eating dinner at a restaurant serving Japanese style food. Waiter brings my set meal and very politely says xiexie and takes a deep bow, his head directly above my table. The dandruff on my chicken was free! :partying_face:

4 Likes

Traditional Chinese medicine pharmacy in Taichung in trouble for selling rhino horn. One customer had spent millions of NTD believing it could cure his cancer.

5 Likes