Walk your dog 3 times a day -- or be fined

I thought you animal lovers would like this. :slight_smile:

cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04 … index.html

[quote]Turin law: Walk your dog 3 times a day – or be fined
Also bans turning pet into ‘fluffy toy’
Monday, April 25, 2005 Posted: 4:35 AM EDT (0835 GMT)

ROME, Italy (Reuters) – Dog owners in Turin will be fined up to $650 if they don’t walk their pets at least three times a day, under a new law from the city’s council.

People will also be banned from dyeing their pets’ fur or “any form of animal mutilation” for merely aesthetic motives such as docking dogs’ tails, under the law about to be passed in the northern Italian city.

“In Turin it will be illegal to turn one’s dog into a ridiculous fluffy toy,” the city’s La Stampa daily reported.

Italians can already be fined up to 10,000 euros and spend a year in prison if found guilty of torturing or abandoning their pets, but Turin’s new rules go into much greater detail.

Dogs may be led for walks by people on bicycles, the rules say, “but not in a way that would tire the animal too much.”[/quote]

How about scooters?

:bravo: :slight_smile: :notworthy:

Very encouraging!

Thanks for posting that!

great news… hopefully the rest of the world won’t be far behind…

What would it take do you think to enact a law that makes it a legal requirement when buying a pet, especially dogs and cats at a pet store, or adpoting one from a shelter, that a data chip MUST be inserted bearing, along with the animals’s info, the name, address, contact details of the owner as well as date of purchase, etc. so that should the pet later be found abandoned or mistreated the owner could face criminal charges if the pet wasn’t reported lost etc…to prevent callous pet owners from still dumping their unwanted pets in the mountains and reporting them lost in the hopes that they wouldn’t be found and returned, allowing your pet to get lost in the first place could be a punishable offense with a very hefty fine…

at least the cruel irresponsible fools that make up the majority of pet owners in Taiwan would be far less likely to get pets on an impulse or mistreat them if they knew there was a mechanism in place that held them publically and legally responsible for their pets well being for the duration of the pets natural life… since the taiwanese seem incapable of understanding the moral obligation, responsbility and consequences of owning a pet, they need to be underscored with heavy legal and financial consequences, the only thing the Taiwanese seem to understand… When dealing with the peasant mentality of the Taiwanese the only thing that works is the carrot and the stick approach with a heavy emphasis on the stick…

[quote=“plasmatron”]…a law that makes it a legal requirement when buying a pet … that a data chip MUST be inserted…[/quote]Eh? I thought it was the law, because there was such a lot of noise about it, lemme see, two or three years ago?

Or maybe there is a law, and as usual, it just isn’t followed up because:
a) there isn’t any budget for manpower
b) the department that was supposed to enforce the law wasn’t informed
c) some ‘industry association’ whined and squealed to ensure that both a and b above occured.

Does that law apply to poodles?

[quote=“hsiadogah”][quote=“plasmatron”]…a law that makes it a legal requirement when buying a pet … that a data chip MUST be inserted…[/quote]Eh? I thought it was the law, because there was such a lot of noise about it, lemme see, two or three years ago?

Or maybe there is a law, and as usual, it just isn’t followed up because:
a) there isn’t any budget for manpower
b) the department that was supposed to enforce the law wasn’t informed
c) some ‘industry association’ whined and squealed to ensure that both a and b above occured.[/quote]

more than likely all of the above although as far as I know chipping your pet isn’t mandatory… I think all of the uproar a few years back was when someone suggested it should be and the peasants got uppity about being made to spend a couple of hundred bucks on their pets…

personally I think it should be mandatory and it should go hand in hand with extremely heavy fines and jail sentences for abuse, neglect and abandonment…