Want to take the dog to Kenting

When the weather warms up a little I will head down to Kenting and I want to bring my dog.

I think i’ve read here that some of you have brought your dog down there with you.

How is travelling with the dog? Do any hotels allow dogs to stay in the room with you?

Mabye I would camp on the beach while down there. I was thinking about maybe bringing a dog crate or cage and if I go into town during the day I could leave him in the cage in the shade.

Do you think this could work?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :scooby:

I think a long rope tied to a tree near some shade at the campsite would be fine when you go to town. Better than a cage. We usually tent there but we prefer the campsite to the beach because it has showers and sand doesn’t get into everything. Many beaches if not all of them prohibit camping anyways.(Easily poached though, we’ve done that too…) The campsite we go to is very small and never busy. Let me know if you want directions.

If you never travelled with your dog then there’s only one way to find out how it will handle it and that’s to take him for a drive. Kenting is a nice place for dogs, they get to run on the beach and play a lot if you choose camping over a hotel room. Most cheaper hotels will let you take your dog inside I’m guessing but I’m not sure about the more expensive ones.

Have fun!

bobepine

Thanks for the advice bobpine.

My dog has been in the car several times and he actually enjoys it.

I have camped right on the beach at Bai Sha Wan several times. Most recently last March. I think someone told me a while back that the police don’t allow it anymore though. Not sure.

Good advice about tying him to a tree instead.

I’ve taken my dog to Kenting about 4 times on my scooter (Taoyuan to Kenting) and once in a car. I’d stop two hours or so at the nearest rest stop to give her a chance to stretch and go to the bathroom if she needed to.

I prefer staying the nicer hotels…and so far no one has said no. Although I give a quick speech about how well trained she is and how she’ll sleep in the bathroom. I then get her to perform for them a bit to which they ohh and ahh to.

I took the mutt to Kenting last weekend. He had a great time. It was the first time he’s seen the ocean.

I got there late and went to the beach at night. My dog was running around the beach having a great time and then he decided to jump into the water. I think he didn’t even know what it was. He leapt a few feet from shore and disappeared. He sunk to the bottom (only a couple of feet) and I didn’t see him for like 10 seconds.

I was just about to jump in to save him when he popped out of the water swimming his ass off. Scary shit. Now he is apprehensive about going into the water.

I stayed in a Hotel called “Wo De Jia” (My home) which is on the main strip at the far end. It was a nice place with rooms costing NT1000 for a double and most importantly they allow dogs.

Next trip i’m going to see how he likes camping.

I’ve tossed my dog off of a few waterfalls. She still likes water…but me…not so much.

She loves to swim. Whenever I go swimming she’ll follow me around the water. Taiwanese people always flip-out when they see this. Most of them have never seen a dog swim before (that’s what I guess from their reactions anyway).

We’re heading to Kending for Spring Scream and was told Ceaser Park has dog houses outside where our mutt can stay.

I tell the hotel staff that my dogs sleep in the bathroom…or on the blacony. But actually they sleep on the bed with me.

I’m hoping to take my dog to Spring Scream next Wednesday. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this without renting a car? I really don’t want to take a scooter. (Actually, does anyone know how long the drive is?)

Bus companies say they don’t allow it.

[quote=“dearpeter”]I’m hoping to take my dog to Spring Scream next Wednesday. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this without renting a car? I really don’t want to take a scooter. (Actually, does anyone know how long the drive is?)

Bus companies say they don’t allow it.[/quote]

From Taipei your looking at about 7 and a half hours with moving traffic. And if you’re talking about a weekend, add on a couple of hours (or more). This is by car.

By scooter…you’ll hear people say they can do it in 9 or 10 hours. But experience has taught me you need to eat, rest…and get lost for an hour or so. By scooter a realistic estimation would be 12 hours…from Chung-Li. So maybe 12 and a half from Taipei.

My friends did Taipei -> Kenting, Kenting -> Taipei … in one day on scooters…took them 24 hours.

Actually…if you take the east coast down…I’m guessing it would be an hour or two quicker. I usually took the west coast down…then the east coast back up…and the east coast seems quicker.

Guess I’m lucky, it only takes me one and a half hours to get there from Pingtung City! :sunglasses: