Warlord diplomacy coming to an end?

Looks like Taiwan is going to lose an ally in Liberian President Charles Taylor soon. What rock are they going to have to turn over to replace scum like him? I remember seeing him and his fellow murderous goon-bodyguards when I was eating at the Regent a few years ago. He was in town for a full state reception with Chen “So-what-if-he’s-a-brutal-thug” Shuibian. Thinking of all his limbless victims made breakfast rather unpleasant.

Liberian Thug Charles Taylor

When he captured his predecessor, ha got the guy decapitated - afterwards he used his head as bonnet ornamentation on his car.

About five years ago I went to an exhibition where all the ROC’s diplomatic allies had stalls showing their local produce and tourism. The saddest stall was the one from Liberia. It was actually manned by a minister from the Liberian government - I still have his name card somewhere. All he had on show were a few bits of pieces of plants and minerals in little polythene bags with sticky labels handwritten in biro.

Those exhibitions used to be held every year. Unfortunately they have been discontinued.

Lucky the Canadians dont recognise China diplomatically … oh, hang on :slight_smile:

I was once at a reception where Zhang Zemin was present… I fel the same way.

[quote=“Juba”]About five years ago I went to an exhibition where all the ROC’s diplomatic allies had stalls showing their local produce and tourism. The saddest stall was the one from Liberia. It was actually manned by a minister from the Liberian government - I still have his name card somewhere. All he had on show were a few bits of pieces of plants and minerals in little polythene bags with sticky labels handwritten in biro.

Those exhibitions used to be held every year. Unfortunately they have been discontinued.[/quote]

I met that guy, too. He was selling for NT$100 photocopies of artwork he had drawn, just to help make ends meet.

Nice guy, though.