WARNING: APRC Applications Now Require Appointments...in Level 2

I don’t recall making an appointment for my application, but it was a long time ago.

One of many! Don’t expect anyone to be there waiting when you arrive at your appointment time either…

3 Likes

I had to make an appointment to submit my application too.
They got my documents, asked some questions, explained the process and characteristics of the APRC and told me when to go back to get the card.
All with an smile in their faces!
I can’t complain. :smiley:

1 Like

Weird thing was. Personnel there told me that requiring appointments was a new and temporary thing.

:idunno:

The Xinbei NIA doesn’t get stacks of happy face reviews, does it.

The Taipei City folks I’ve dealt with have always been very professional and courteous. Then again I have not dealt with them during the pandemic.

Guy

1 Like

APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist) - Legal / Visa & Residency - Forumosa

9. Setup an appointment with an agent to turn everything in.
I know some people have just walked into the NIA and taken a number instead of making an appointment, but that is not the way to do it. Call your agent and make an appointment. They are not always there (they do take vacations), plus who wants to sit and wait in line.
The agent in Taoyuan at the time of writing this was Vivian Tseng. She doesn’t take shit and her English isn’t that good. It is a major plus if you can speak Chinese when dealing with her but not necessary. Her number is 033310409 ext 121. She sits at the back of the office and you don’t need to wait or take a number to speak to her unless she is busy with someone else. At the time of writing this, she was the only agent in charge of dealing with APRC applicants in Taoyuan. Don’t get on her bad side, because she is all you got!!

From 2009!

And 2007! APRC Interview - Legal / Visa & Residency - Forumosa

1 Like

I thought agent is someome you ask to do the app for you.

Plus. It also says you need a fingerprint.

“Just walk up with your receipt and tell them you are applying for an APRC and need to do fingerprints for the FBI.

Looks like the guy needed a criminal background check.

forgive my scepticism in reading 12 year old info. I clearly made the mistake following the official NIA site.

1 Like

One strategy I’d adopt in the future is to call ahead before making the journey.

I think this might be an especially good idea during pandemic restrictions.

Guy

Hi. I’m currently calling to ask you if the info on your own site is correct and accurate.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well. Guess I am only doing this once and letting you guys know my experience. It didn’t even cross my mind that an appointment may be necessary.

1 Like

You never know! I’m doing it for the third time later this week!

If that’s what I think it means, congrats!

It was 5 years ago, hence the APRC application, but thanks anyway! May you also be making more APRC applications in your future!

1 Like

It should be a NTC thing. Not for TC, as @afterspivak posted.

2 Likes

Good to hear you’re getting your APRC @Marco :happyrunningaround:

In Taoyuan at least, when I got mine a few years ago, an appointment was required (I remember that they had only one APRC rep at the time). I don’t know the situation now in the Peach Garden.

I imagine the majority of applications go through Taipei or NTC so perhaps there are more reps and usually not a need for appointments? Or, like you mentioned, probably a lack of communication on their part. Shocking, I know. /s

3 Likes

I’ve only ever done NIA things in Taipei Taipei. This was my first time in Zhonghe doing it.

In Hualien last week put in my application without an appointment. Was told need 4 weeks to complete.

A strange thing happened the day after I submitted my application. While in the office the immigration officer showed me a table with my arrivals dates. I did not examine closely but in last 10 years not that much travel so seemed right. I assumed she was only interested in more recent arrivals. However, the next day the immigration officer called my mobile phone which was answered by my wife. She said she wanted to confirm an arrival in 1990. She asked if I was working at company XXX which my wife confirmed as correct (but was actually not correct as started at that company in 1992). The officer said their records back at that time were not so good.

1990? Wow. I really did not expect them to care about arrivals 30 years ago. I guess could tell them my first entry was 1987…and been in and out of Taiwan at least 50 times.

3 Likes

Lol, had no idea. Back in march I just walked into NIA in Nantou with the documents.
They did not mention anything. Just filled out the forms and that was it. :sweat_smile:
There was no wait either. Nobody besides me was in there at that time.

4 Likes

May I remind you that for years -YEARS!- the address for NIA’s New Taipei location was NOT updated in their English website? Many a poor soul thought it was a stone’s throw from the Banciao station, almost next door to Far Eastern mall …only to embark in a trip if disappointment.

5 Likes