Warning! Dominos Pizza new tomato sauce is horrible

I don’t understand the low sodium everything. In my opinion using less sodium and adding more sugar just makes it even less healthy. I think the link between sodium consumption and high blood pressure is not quite as clear as doctors like to make it to be, and perhaps food companies hoping to make “healthy” food would just use less sodium and more sugar.

I rather have a low sugar tomato paste with the right amount of salt. I like my food to taste good.

2 Likes

Pizza Hut hasn’t been good since they stopped using those cast iron skillets to make them a decade or so ago.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. You like your food to taste good. :+1::+1:

4 Likes

+1 to Salto in Taipei City, especially if you stick to the basic margherita. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

https://www.fda.gov.tw/UnsafeFood/UnsafeFoodContent.aspx?id=3982

To be fair, tomato is generally a heavily chemical contaminated product

檢出殘留農藥環氧乙烷1.3 mg/kg

I think that’s the ethylene oxide residue (/2-chloroethanol) from fumigating something else in the sauce, rather than the tomatoes themselves?

(I’m not sure what “something else” is and didn’t check - maybe guar gum or some spices in the sauce, something like that would be my guess.)

The pizzas have been dry since I arrived here. Companies seem to treat tomatoes as a prized resource here. The locals still give business to Pizza Hut and Dominos. What an abomination.

1 Like

Just eat Pizza Rock if you want a chain store that actually uses pizza sauce. Otherwise there are tons of good Italian or NY style pizza available in Taipei. Just don’t go to the local stores

1 Like

This is who we go to now. My son really likes it; it is a thinner crust that is a lot like the pizza my wife used to make. That, and the sauce is decent.

2 Likes

True in many cases. But with the shops I like—Solo, Salto, etc in Taipei City and environs—they typically have some nice olive oil on the counter which I use to “dress” the pizza. I guess I got used to the wet style from Zoca’s as he makes he pizzas relatively wet. That’s my workaround, and at the shops I mentioned I am not disappointed. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

Sprayed in the fields, fumigated in transport and preserved when processed hehe. Tomato products have a lot going on.

2 Likes

And this is how Hawaiian pizza and Asian seafood pizzas got started.

1 Like

That’s fine, but I don’t think any of those steps involve ethylene oxide as with the link you posted above, do they?

As far as I can tell, I think it’s mainly used for dry stuff like what I mentioned.

Tomato products are really perishable unless frozen. I had some mold up in the fridge before.

I don’t know what you’re on about. Are you replying to me or someone else? It would be clearer if you used the reply and/or quote functions.

If you just wanted to tell that anecdote about the time you had some moldy tomatoes… err, thanks I guess. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I did reply to you, the problem is forum software, not me.

Tomato sauce lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge. I found that out the hard way a while ago.

What’s the problem with the software?

2 Likes

When you reply to someone, sometimes it doesn’t show up as replying to a certain person.

Ya. I was mentioning " to be fair", loads of different tomato products are laced with chemicals. Not just dominos sauce. Par for the course sadly.

I find that doubtful. I suspect you may have clicked on the main reply button not the one in my post.

In any case, if you were intending to reply to me… why? What you wrote doesn’t relate to anything I wrote. I know you have a habit of writing before reading, but what I said is that I don’t think ethylene oxide is used to fumigate fresh produce like tomatoes but rather dry ingredients like seeds and spices, and that’s how the ethylene oxide residue likely got into the sauce in the case @Explant posted.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the perishability of tomatoes or your anecdote about the time you had some moldy tomatoes. So what’s the point of mentioning those things in a reply to me? Do you think I don’t know that tomatoes are perishable? Do you think anybody else doesn’t know? You might be the only person here to be surprised that tomato sauce doesn’t last longer than 2 weeks in the fridge. I wouldn’t leave it anywhere near that long.

Besides, what you wrote (“tomato products are really perishable unless frozen”) isn’t even true. Canned/sealed tomato sauce (the topic of this discussion), canned tomatoes, ketchup, etc. aren’t “really perishable” at all. They last ages. It’s not because of the ethylene oxide residue though.

3 Likes