Warning: Jump Start Kindergarten Under Investigation

For those of you who work at Jumpstart or know someone who does please read this.

Several months ago, Taipei’s Department of Education fined Jumpstart somewhere between 60,000 NT and 300,000 NT for running an illegal business. Here are a few links, there are many more online.

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20160720/911954/

(this one is from the government)

If you use Chrome, you can translate the pages and get a rough idea of what went down. Point is, the department of Education knows full well that foreign English teachers are working at an illegal kindergarten. It is only a matter of time before the Immigration Department starts deporting people.

What’s worse, I personally know that there are a few former employees who are suing the company for wrongful termination, being denied severance pay, and fraud. It appears that Jumpstart has got some skeletons in its closet.

Again, if you work there or know someone that does, I would strongly recommend they leave as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks for the information. Like I’ve said, even if you can legally work in a kindergarten (which most foreigners can’t), working for a dodgy employer carries the risk of losing your job when the employer gets in trouble.

Summary of Apple article:

After the Treehouse English scandal in April, the super-posh Bokelai (Berkeley) Education Organization and its three branches in Longan, Guting and Ren’ai have been discovered to be kindergartens falsely registered as buxibans.

The mother of a prospective student complained when she discovered the kindergarten didn’t have a kindergarten license, comparing it to hanging a sheep’s head but selling dog meat.

A reporter posing as a parent went to the Guting branch and was told by a teacher that tuition averages $27,000 per month including miscellaneous fees.

The reporter also found out that each class has one foreign and one Taiwanese teacher, classes are taught in English, and the teachers’ duties include helping the kids change their clothes, blow-drying their hair, and pacifying them when they cry and scream that they want to go home.

Next, the reported staked out the other two branches where the parents drive expensive cars and couldn’t get in without an appointment.

The Chief Secretary of the Taipei Department of Education explained the requirements for a kindergarten are tighter than for a buxiban, to ensure the teachers are qualified and so on.

An investigation then discovered the smoking guns of illegal kindergartens: bedding and toothbrushes! (That’s what was missing in the Treehouse investigation iirc.) Plus large play equipment and a “game class” in the schedule. As these things were not government approved, the DOE decided they were providing educare in violation of the Early Childhood Education & Care Act, fined them 6k to 30k, and ordered them to cease all non-buxiban activities, and in accordance with the Supplementary Education Act, they were given a deadline for improvement.

Also, the Longan branch has a code violation from partitioning a basement room, which was referred to the Fire Department and the Jianguanchu (Construction & Management Office?).

Bokelai refused to comment.

Summary of comments on the article:

The size of the fine vs. the tuition means they have no fear. If an accident happens, parents will blame the government.

City Hall has it backwards, we should speak English every day, they’re violating our constitutional rights.

They’re just following orders, it’s the Ministry of Education that decided in 2011 not to allow English in kindergartens.

That’s actually irrelevant in this case, because the DOE apparently took no interest in the English classes. Although the education authorities are supposed to co-operate with other authorities for the protection of children, and learning foreign languages is officially detrimental to the health & welfare of kindergarten students in Taiwan, afaik there’s nothing that actually requires them to report illegal foreigners who are obviously there for the purpose of teaching English.

Summary of the DOE document:

The Bokelai (Berkeley), Bodian, and Yongyan buxibans have all been found to be operating illegal kindergartens or after-school care centers. Bedding and toothbrushes were seized, and so on. The Department publishes a list of perpetrators and their violations every month, and parents are encouraged to understand the differences between kindergartens, buxibans, and after-school care centers. Suspected violators will continue to be investigated.

This publishing of information about violations and administrative penalties is annoying because it’s always hidden in the bowels of a government website. They definitely were going to fine these guys, but there could be appeals, so I wouldn’t take it as confirmation.

Corruption and juicy scandals in the … KINDERGARTEN industry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Actually, “scandal” and “smoking guns” don’t appear in the article. It’s just a summary of the content.

But yes, there’s a popular perception that corruption exists in the kindergarten industry. Evidence: Taiwan is full of kindergartens openly offering English classes, even though such classes are illegal, no matter who teaches them.

I just found a skeleton. In Feb 2008, a teacher was hit by a car on her way to work, which counts as an occupational injury. A doctor ordered her to rest for six weeks. Jump Start was only willing to give 7 days off and fired her. When the case went to trial, they accused her of faking it (“she was only bruised!”). She only got a little over $50k from the company, plus a little bit from labor insurance. Lesson: if you have medical treatment relating to an occupational injury, keep your receipts!

Incidentally, the court made it a matter of public record (in 2010) that the kindergarten’s “Baby Class” had students as young as 1 year and 8 months, plus a foreign teacher (whose name does not appear in the judgement).

@yyy Thanks for the updated information. I didn’t know Jumpstart was sued back in 08. Though I would critique one thing. The DOE may not have taken interest that foreigners were working there, however, if I was one of those teachers featured in that Apple video, I would not be sitting pretty right now.

No reason to have your life ruined over a rinky dink buxiban that can’t follow the rules.

Cheers,
Rick

Absolutely – I never recommend working illegally.

I know about this school. [text redacted by moderator]

I heard this story second hand so take it for what’s worth. But considering what has already been said about Jumpstart here, this story rings true.

I agree with @Rick_Teacher, if you are working here you should think very seriously about quitting.

Dan

@Dan-the-man that’s interesting. I wonder if we know the same guy. That story sounds familiar.

I just found another one. An American sued in 2012 after an alleged wrongful dismissal. The buxiban (not the company this time) said it was a resignation. The teacher lost, appealed, lost again, appealed again, and is currently waiting for the Supreme Court to do its thing.

Each branch is independently registered, though it appears to be a family business. None of the Chinese company/buxiban names bears any resemblance to the English name.

@yyy yep, I know that guy. [text redacted by moderator]
A few months later, they did the exact same thing to another teacher. Makes you think, are there any decent teaching jobs in Taiwan?

Dan

I hadn’t realized we were talking about the same guy. I’ve had another look now, and he does indeed claim they coerced him into sigining a resignation letter, but the judges apparently ignored the whole locking in the conference room part. Another teacher testified that the argument was loud enough to be heard in other rooms, but he couldn’t make out the words.

If you hear from him when the appeal finishes, please update us.

@yyy I showed this forum to my friends (the guy who’s suing Jumpstart). He was surprised that this matter was suddenly getting attention, but naturally happy that their schools are being fined by the DOE. As far as his trial goes, he had only mentioned that he is waiting for the Supreme court to take up the case again and until then wishes to remain anonymous.

[text redacted by moderator]

In all the years I’ve been in Taiwan, I have never heard of school managers taking the time to do anything like this. I know this has been said a few other times on this forum, but if I worked at this school I would’ve left this place yesterday.

Dan

I’ve accidentally found another case involving this chain.

In 2008, the “Bokelai” branch hired a foreign teacher and applied for his work permit, but one day before the permit was issued (or one day before the starting date of the permit’s validity if it was issued in advance), an inspector showed up and caught him teaching. He said it was just a demo. He was given 14 days to depart and blacklisted.

The appeal took about nine months, but the government won.

I was just about to apply to this school… until I caught this forum. Jeez! This place sounds like a nightmare.

A couple years back I met a guy who worked at Jump Start, and he always complained about the HR guy there. Complained all the time about how deceptive and manipulative he was.

Makes you wonder that maybe this school’s management is to blame for all their recent troubles with the govt.

Buxibans… Such a hit and miss type of job. I only did 2 years and then I got out, I couldn’t stand how one branch was great to work at and my 2nd branch was absolute hell.

My buddy suing Jump Start also complained about the HR guy.

It would be fun if someone got the job there but wore a secret camera and or tape devices. :innocent:

The other day my wife’s friend asked me if I knew any good English kindergartens for her daughter? I told her there are probably a few good ones but she should do her research to check. She then asked me if I knew anything about Jump Start. I showed her this forum and needless to say she won’t be enrolling her kid there.

It made me wonder however, is there a Chinese equivalent to Forumosa that parents use to check schools?

Is there anyone in Forumosa-verse that uses a site like this in Chinese?