WARNING! Nigerian scam machine on forumosa

Hey there,

Forumosafieds has a nigerian scam artist combing its ads!

He goes by the name of Mr. Greg and his email is engr.smith@hotmail.com

I’m not going to go into too many details unless you ask for them. He’ll contact you to see if you want to sell your stuff to him. You’ll say yes. He’ll say ship it to Nigeria. You’ll say give me money. He’ll send you a draft from somewhere in the world. You’ll ship the stuff. A couple days later, the bank will tell you the check is bogus (if they didn’t catch it in the first place).

I can see the NIGERIAN scams coming a mile away. I posted the MSN conversation we had. It looks harmless enough until I blew the lid off of his pitch when i told him double the asking price and he jumped at it.

I like Nigerians. They’re funny and friendly. I wish I’d stop getting scam artists coming from there because it’s dragging their reputation through the mud.

I had another run in I can tell you about if you’re interested.

And remember… ALWAYS GOOGLE THE ADDRESS AND NAMES THEY USE BEFORE YOU SEND MONEY OR SHIP ANYTHING to people you aren’t sure about.

Turkey says:
Hey . Who’s this?
Engineer says:
i sent u an email
Engineer says:
i am Mr.greg
Turkey says:
So where is africa is your girlfriend?
Engineer says:
University of ibadan
Turkey says:
Cool I have a friend there. What is she studying?
Engineer says:
achaeology
Turkey says:
So if you decide to get the camera. How do we do the transaction?
Engineer says:
i want to send it to her over there
Engineer says:
may be thru fedex
Turkey says:
Ok.
Engineer says:
do u have all the acessories and the box
Turkey says:
I have the battery charger, firewire, abd lense cap.
Turkey says:
battery and charger
Engineer says:
ok
Engineer says:
but u should have something to box it
Turkey says:
I can get the manual and email it in .pdf form if she wants.
Turkey says:
I’m sure I can box it.
Turkey says:
So you’re not in Taiwan?
Engineer says:
whats the pdf for?
Turkey says:
.pfd is a kind of file. the file is like a ebook. If I downlaod the user manual for the camera it will be a file like DVL520u.pdf
Turkey says:
easy to read like a .doc file.
Engineer says:
ok
Engineer says:
thats fine
Turkey says:
So you are not in taiwan?
Engineer says:
]yea
Engineer says:
am inthe staes rigth now
Turkey says:
Have you ever been to Taiwan?
Engineer says:
yea i work there
Engineer says:
am on leave now
Engineer says:
will be back next month
Turkey says:
So you were saying that if you wanted the camera. You’d like to send the money VIA your bank
Engineer says:
yea, through bank transfer
Engineer says:
from here
Engineer says:
all i need is your bank details and the money can be transferd
Engineer says:
but i need to be satisfied with it before anyting
Turkey says:
What do you want to know?
Engineer says:
how long you been using it
Turkey says:
Off and on for a few years.
Engineer says:
and the reent condition
Turkey says:
I have another camera that I use as my main camera. I used this camera when we needed more than one at the same time
Engineer says:
recent codition
Engineer says:
is it digital
Turkey says:
it’s got a couple scratches on the outside. But the insides have very little use.
Engineer says:
?
Turkey says:
Yeah it’s a miniDV camera. Fully digital. Can use the cable to transfer a PC
Engineer says:
ok
Engineer says:
i prefer digital
Turkey says:
Oh wait. I just got an email from someone in taipei that wants the camera.
Engineer says:
u got the picrture of both
Turkey says:
If I can’t sell it to him. I will contact you, ok? Sorry
Engineer says:
ok
Engineer says:
but i can pay your price for it
Engineer says:
u never even told me te price yet
Engineer says:
i am very much intresed too
Turkey says:
The price was 13000 (taiwan dollars)
Engineer says:
am ok with the price
Engineer says:
just let meknow what happens
Turkey says:
ok
Turkey says:
If I don’t sell it to the other person… I’ll contact you.
Engineer says:
its ok

Thanks for the heads up, Turkey. :notworthy:

I placed an ad last week and got a reply from someone wanting the goods shiped to Nigeria so it’s not just one case.

Thanks for the warnings, y’all. I’ll state the obvious at this point, because there’s usually someone out there who can benefit from it: the above warnings serve as a good reminder to the rest of us to be sure to get cash, or good funds via ATM or wire transfer before releasing our goods. If you do take a check, which I don’t recommend in Taiwan, don’t ship the goods until the check has actually cleared. (And even then, you are still liable to your bank for those funds should a problem with the check be discovered after clearing, which is why you shouldn’t accept a check unless you know and trust the issuer.)

Ok here’s another story since it seems like people could learn.

Last year I tried to sell my sister VW cabriolet (pice of shit) on the www.buysell.com in Vancouver. Recieve email. Guy wants car doesn’t haggle price. I Reply and say come take a look. He can’t look because he’s overseas. He says it’s for a customer. I don’t care as long as car is gone. He sends bank draft. My sister is so happy she wants to cry. car is $3000 draft is for $4000. He asks us to wire $1000 difference to Nigeria. I say "give me a recipients name and address. I google it and tell my sister it’s a scam. She cashes check anyway (for good times). I say don’t spend though. Bank calls next day and wants her for questioning. I say tell her them you’re stupid. They agree and investigate the nigerian scam machine.

Nigerian scam machine emails me a month later iwth threats telling me I didn’t ship the car… WHAT A GAS. I had some fun with him for a while because I liked making him think the money was on the way. Maybe it kept him close to that nigerian address for a little longer so the cops can catch up with him.

The draft came from some, 3rd party, dude that thought he was getting a smoking deal on something from someone… definitely not a shit VW.

Is nobodey reading my posts about the scams I posted, it’s not limited to photographers but I explain how they work … so read it and don’t get tricked by them …

Never ever send money from a balance on cashiers or personal cheque … if they send a cheque that’s over the amount you ask, this is a red flag going up …

I was going to say…send him a load of bricks, but then he’d probably build a house right?

Then there’s the Nigerian Bishop scam on interpreters (same idea – involves sending too much money and then asking for a refund.)

Much, much more information here, including helpful photos of forged financial instruments. I had way too much free time the week “Melinda” contacted me about interpreting for “that big youth conference in New York City” last December…

[quote=“ironlady”]Then there’s the Nigerian Bishop scam on interpreters (same idea – involves sending too much money and then asking for a refund.)

Much, much more information here including helpful photos of forged financial instruments. I had way too much free time the week “Melinda” contacted me about interpreting for “that big youth conference in New York City” last December…[/quote]

Fixed your link … :wink:

And the answer to your suggestion on your last post on the translatorcafe is … they already do wedding photographers :smiley:

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]I like Nigerians. They’re funny and friendly. I wish I’d stop getting scam artists coming from there because it’s dragging their reputation through the mud.[/quote] :noway: Yeah I know all about their reputation. Sani Abacha anyone. I reckon they teach it in schools over there.

Hi turkey_dinner! femi (femi_tamila002@yahoo.com) has the following message for you:

Dear seller my name is miss femi tamila,i live in the state of united state,i saw your item on the Auction,I am interested in buying 1 pcs each of this item from you,provided its in good working condition and quality am ready to buy it for USD 800.00 including the shipment fee via Dhl or Ems Pocztex to the price listed so as to close the auction on the items which is needed urgentlly by a client of mine in Africa.Expecting your reply ASAP so as to proceed with the payment via bank transfer or western union,Let me know if my offer is okay.Contact me directlly at: femi_tamila002@yahoo.com note:only english is welcomed.

Thanks

[quote]Exclusive: Confessions of an Internet Scammer

March 08, 2007 2:20 PM

Brian Ross and Joseph Rhee Report:

Internet_scammer_070307_nr The U.S. operative for a Nigerian Internet scam ring has turned on his one-time colleagues, providing new details of who they are and how they work, for a report to broadcast on 20/20 this Friday.

Eric Amoako, a native of Ghana, made the decision to “come clean” and end his days of crime after being caught on 20/20 undercover cameras attempting to scam a California heart surgeon.

In a remarkably frank interview, Amoako described feeling little guilt about taking more than $100,000 from Americans who fell for the Internet scams, which often depend on the gullibility and the greed of the victims.[/quote]
blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/200 … confe.html