Watching baseball in Taipei?

Hi all,

I have arrived from Canada a little over a month ago and am starting to get my bearings as I try to avoid getting dinged by the scooters :-). I would like some information about baseball in Taipei. I understand that there is a pro league in Taiwan. Where can I get information (in English) about schedule, location of ballpark, etc… When does the season run from (March? April?). Also, I noticed a large soccer stadium near an MRT station yesterday. Is there a soccer league too? If so, where can I get information on that too.

Thx!
Martin.

[quote=“tilkster”]Hi all,

I have arrived from Canada a little over a month ago and am starting to get my bearings as I try to avoid getting dinged by the scooters :-). I would like some information about baseball in Taipei. I understand that there is a pro league in Taiwan. Where can I get information (in English) about schedule, location of ballpark, etc… When does the season run from (March? April?). Also, I noticed a large soccer stadium near an MRT station yesterday. Is there a soccer league too? If so, where can I get information on that too.

Thx!
Martin.[/quote]

The official website of Taiwan’s professional baseball league ( Chinese Professional Baseball League

Here are some pictures of Taipei City’s Tianmu stadium:

gsh.taiwanschoolnet.org/1970/chi … /5-a04.htm

I searched high and low for information in English and couldn’t find anything other than a few news articles. Sometimes the English papers will have information, irregularly. If anyone can find anything I’d like to know as well. I would like to get a some people together to go if anyone is interested. PM me if interested.
Also, there are two professional leagues. Odd for such a small place, I heard it was a split over money. The Chinese Professional Baseball League is the most popular, I think.

Here is the long version :laughing:

There used to be 2 leagues. The company that was running the now defunct Taiwan Major League decided to call it quits two years ago due to poor attendence and poor ratings. Two of TML’s teams went to rival Chinese Professional Baseball League. Sort of like the 70s American Basketball Association being absorbed by the National Basketball Association.

TML was formed due to a split over television broadcasting rights. The company that was broadcasting TML decided to form a new league when it lost the bid to the broadcasting rights to Videoland. Sort of like NBC (US Broadcasting channel) and World Wristling Entertainment and their Xtrem Football League (now defunct). TML did its best trying to give tickets away to increase the fan base, but failed miserably.

The two teams that play in Taipei are the Brother Hotel Elephants and Macoto Bank Cobras. I 'll post a schedule as soon as it is available.

[quote=“YJaeger”][quote=“GOPBill”]I searched high and low for information in English and couldn’t find anything other than a few news articles. Sometimes the English papers will have information, irregularly. If anyone can find anything I’d like to know as well. I would like to get a some people together to go if anyone is interested. PM me if interested.
Also, there are two professional leagues. Odd for such a small place, I heard it was a split over money. The Chinese Professional Baseball League is the most popular, I think.[/quote]

There used to be 2 leagues. The company that was running the TML decided to call it quits due to poor attendence and poor ratings two years ago. Two of TML’s teams went to CPBL. Sort of like the ABA absorbed by the NBA.

TML was formed due to a split over television broadcasting rights. The company that was broadcasting TML decided to form a new league when it lost the bid to the broadcasting rights to Videoland. Sort of like NBC and WWE and their XFL. TML did its best trying to give tickets away to increase the fan base, but failed miserably.[/quote]

That’s way too many acronyms for me, mate.