Water Filling Stations

apology accepted. :+1:

1 Like

So does RO not filter out heavy metals? I heard the water in Kaohsiung has arsenic in, more so than other cities.

I assume you mean reverse osmosis? Yes, that’s supposed to get 99% of everything. I don’t know that all water stations are RO, are they? If so, you’re probably fine. What I would look out for is how long the water sits in the tanks and how often those get flushed out. I think my problem with the school water filter is that there was a ton of sediment build up inside the tank/pipes, which was coming out in the water. Also, the filters do need to be changed.

At some point I started asking everyone i knew (including someone who worked for the 環保局/TW’s EPAish) where i could get water tested, and no one knew what i was talking about. I got a lot of “why would you want to do that?” from most people.
My plan was to take various samples of the water I get most frequently and find out whats in them. I mostly worry about heavy metals, especially since even the US has failed on the lead front, but no one here knew how to do that.

So i spent too much of my free time looking up various portable water filters (sink filters need you to know whats in your water so you have the right filters). Brita, Pur and zero water are pretty worthless. (Yes, even zerowater, which claims to bring your water to straight up H2O, doesn’t work with nonpotable water, which arguably is taiwanese tap water). Berkey and Grayl seemed like the only ones that would actually get at things that make you sick, and Grayl is just a water bottle in size, so thats what i did.

The big problem I’ve heard about reverse osmosis is that it’s super wasteful. Like, 60-80% of the water or something insanely high goes down the drain. It is, however, supposed to be the most effective way to filter water, so if that’s what you’ve got around you, it’s probably well worth it

Man, I have to recheck the last option :rofl: it’s real “urine”, isn’t it?
whatever, I and my friends use that water for cooking and drinking, prefer the more expensive one if the station has. sound ok!