Water Filling Stations

Do you use them?

• I can’t live without them
  • Sometimes
  • Nope
  • Buy it from the store you parisomious bastard!
  • I prefer to drink my own urine

0 voters

I’ve started using the one across the street because it only costs 5NT to fill a 5 litre jug, as opposed to paying 49NT for a new one at the store, but in truth I find the water (filtered through reverse osmosis) to have a somewhat bitter taste to it.

I’m interested in hearing others’ water filling station opinions (experiences?) :idunno:

Ummmm…that should read parsimonious

1 Like

What is this “water filling station” of which you speak?

We used to use one of those. It’s located near my inlaws house in Jiayi and every time we would visit, or her bro would drive down there, we’d take 4 giant jugs to fill up. We never trusted the water, though, and would boil it before drinking, which was a hassle (as was carrying the jugs up 4 flights of stairs to our house), but it was probably better than straight tapwater (or not, I have no idea) and was a lot cheaper than buying gallon jugs of water at Welcom, which is what I did for my first year here.

Then a year ago we bought a very expensive built in wall filter so we drink it straight from the filter faucet.

We have a tap in the kitchen which supplies water. Are you telling me I can sell this for NT$5 a bottle? Actually, it’d hardly be worth my while. There are people in Taiwan without mains water? :astonished:

I have an R-O filter connected to my water supply. The downside is that it’s connected after the tap in the kitchen and leads straight into the hot/warm water dispenser, so if I want cold (or even room temp) water, I need to fill up a bottle/glass and either put it in the fridge or let it sit for 30 mins.

I have one of those filling stations right outside my house.

I would be interested to know how clean the water is.

For those who don’t know what they are, they look like a gas pump and you put in coins and fill up containers. (I think that’s what the OP is talking about)

Does anyone know if there have been studies done on how clean the water from said stations is?

It’s cheap and environmentally friendly. I wonder if it’s friendly for me to drink though?

Is this a southern Taiwan thing? Never seen one here in Taipei.

Yep, that’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Well, I’ve been drinking the water from the one across the street for the last week. I can drink a whole 5800ml of water in a single day. No problems so far.

I just worry about how often (if ever) they change the filter.

Next time I go home I think i’ll take water samples from Taiwan and get them tested. Tap water, bottled water and the pump.

It would be interesting to see the results. But would it be indicative of all water stations, or just the one from which the sample came? :idunno:

There’s one next to my work, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone change the filter. Of course, I’m not at work 24/7.

I use that water (from the machines) all the time for cooking, drinking, and watering my petunias and I haven’t had any problems or noticed a bad taste. The tumors arent getting any larger that I can see, anyway. Actually, I still buy bottled at 7-ll and fill up my personal drinker at offices and schools when I get a chance as well. I’ve heard that the big jugs that they deliver are pretty cheap as well and you get a cooler when you get on that system. I’m going to try that.

Me too. Right now I do that boxed stuff from Costco, or jugs from Welcome (when the box is gone.)

So is there a big difference in the three types offered?

The three types of what?

Water from filling stations

Oh I’ve never actually looked closely at one. Maybe they’re like types of gas at the gas station? :rofl: I don’t really trust filtered water (from public places like schools and bus stations) here, especially after getting weird stomach pains that only came when drinking filtered water, went away when drinking bottled for a week, and came back when drinking filtered.
Now I use a Grayl bottle. Easy to carry, discreet except when filtering the water (then people ask me wtf I’m doing), and gets 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals out. Not cheap start up cost US$60 or so), but the filter lasts way longer than I expected and it’s worked quite well on the cost effectiveness front.

I drank the cheapest one for a year and a half and I’m fine
cough

2 Likes

please don’t talk about my picture so disparagingly, else it may sue you for libel

1 Like

I’m sorry @KHHville’s picture, please don’t sue me for libel?? :face_with_monocle: