Water Supply in Taiwan

There has been a lot of talk about how cheap water is in Taiwan, among the contributors to drought.

I just learned that in the United States, water consumption is heavily subsidized, and large regions of the country are experiencing droughts too. A lot of American water is contaminated. It’s more pronounced in Taiwan because the electronics companies gobble so much.

My water bill is included in my condo fees and isn’t variable.

I just listened to a podcast interview of Seth Siegel, an American who wrote about Israel’s water miracle. He said that in Israel, water is distributed in some quasi-capitalist fashion. It costs about $.60 more per month than it does in the United States. This insures more efficient allocation of water resources.

Israel invented desalination, and I wonder why Taiwan doesn’t do it, when it’s surrounded by water. It’s not scarce.

But from what I’ve watched of Taiwanese shows, desalination is the most expensive option and is seen as a last resort.

But since Taiwanese are masters at cost-cutting, surely they will eventually make desalination a viable choice.

2 Likes

Taiwan doesn’t have a water availability problem. Taiwan has a water retention problem. Build more reservoirs.

Weather changes are effecting Taiwan water availability, so Taiwan can compensate if plan ahead.

Could go with Singapore model where ~40% is recycled sewage.

1 Like

I saw on some show that Taiwan’s storms are getting less frequent but stronger, a trend that’s been happening since the 1960s.

Yes, Desal requires a lot of electricity.

2 Likes

It is energy intensive and there is already a pollution/energy problem here. They need to solve the clean energy problem first, then can consider desalination.

1 Like

And that’s not the only environmental problem.

1 Like