Wavy soundproofing foam; should waves face me or the noise outside my window?

Quick, probably stupid question. I have frequent headaches due to the high steroids I’m on, and they are doing demolition just outside my window. The noise is horrific and will continue for days, possibly weeks. I ordered some wavy foam 7 cm thick big enough to cover the window. Will it work if the waves are facing me, or should the waves face the noise? I can figure out a way to attach it either way. Facing me is easier, as the foam has adhesive backing. If the waves face outward I can attach the foam to a thin soundproofing sheet that then tapes to the concrete around the window. Other suggestions (not ‘move’!) are welcome, but the wavy foam is already on its way.

2 Likes

in my experience, flat side to the wall, textured side out.

2 Likes

Add these to your arsenal: https://www.loopearplugs.com/

5 Likes

I think wavy side out makes sense. Bookshelves, carpeting, and furniture also muffle sound. In addition to earplugs, I had a period where I bought those lawn mower headphones. Together with earplugs, it made things so quiet (obviously doesn’t work for sleeping, but if it’s day time construction it could help).

2 Likes

I ordered a set of safety earphones like for use with electric drills but the darned top strap is too short (I have a big head) and they clamp VERY uncomfortably. I could only wear them for 5 min. while drilling…

1 Like

Generally speaking the wavy/patterned side is supposed to face the noise source, but I doubt it matters much in your case.

Try sealing up any air gaps too. Demolition noise will be tough to block as a lot of it is vibration usually, but good luck.

5 Likes

As mentioned above patterned side to the noise, they break up the sound waves so if possible maybe outside to window? saying that I think either way should have some effect, try sticking them with blu tack first and see how it is.

Also get foam tape for the edges of any doors and windows and if you have concrete walls try putting up some blankets or rugs on the walls as another temporary solution.

2 Likes

There are sound deadening curtains, my boss swears they have a big impact. May have to order from overseas though.

2 Likes

If you’re replying to me, I posted the link to loop earplugs because I know a lot of people with conditions that make it difficult for them to go about daily life with the “usual” noises that “normal people” “get over” who find them to be super comfy (once they size them right) and that they block out the world at the level they need (anything from “able to carry on a conversation” to “shut everyone and thing out”, depending on which style is used). And they’re waaayyyy cheaper than and don’t need to be recharged like noise-cancelling headphones.

But I realize that making your home feel sufficiently quiet is also important. Sorry I can’t offer advice on that front. But consider a comfy pair of earplugs like Loop (there are other brands, I don’t know anything about them) for daily life, especially outside the home. (I’m not being paid to say this and I don’t actually use them personally. I just know some people who swear they have saved their sanity.)

1 Like

Thanks; the rain and typhoons make outside a non-starter, as there’s no glassed-in balcony outside this window.

You will need room within a room, in addition to heavy drywall + that green glue thing to have any effect on demolition sound. Jackhammer vibrates just about everything and you won’t stop it without completely decoupling from that.

Those acoustic foam will probably block the high pitch sound a little bit but will really do nothing against the disruption it causes… But at least it will probably muffle the start of the “ga ga ga” sound if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

Great to see your posts, DB! It’s not “stupid” at all given all you’ve been through.

Guy

6 Likes

@Dragonbones

Never met you, but happy to see your post. It’s evident that you are well loved and respected on Forumosa.

This gent is correct regarding basic sound reduction.

Noise reduction headphones are impressive if you do not have the means of installing a floating floor, rubberized vinyl and similar. I feel your pain.

Worse comes to worse, glue these tiles to a thick piece of sheet rock, and encase the entire window, wavy part facing out.

Speedy recovery.

1 Like

I can’t stand city noise for long. Bose makes the good stuff.

2 Likes

Check your windows and make sure there is not leaks. If is sliding will have leaks. Also check the glass is seals properly. If your window have space you could make an insert.

1 Like

How much do they block , what about if there is a house invasion or someone is screaming fire ? Serious question.

1 Like

I kinda opted for a no outside window room for my new place in Danshui. I got 500nt per month off rent and it will hopefully be less noisy.

A LOT of noise comes from windows. The problem is most rented place won’t have good window, it will be that drafty POS that lets noise, heat, and air in. Having a wall between you and that makes a huge difference.

Getting better window costs money. I hope you like your landlord.

You might need to move.

You can block out noise, but construction involves vibration that can’t be blocked. I had to move out of an old apartment because idling buses shook the building.

I’m getting a pair of the Bose nc headphones tomorrow. I shall report back.

2 Likes