WCIF a cheap drill stand?

I’m looking for something like this:

I already have a decent drill. Just need a stand. Cheap.

The cheaper the better in fact. I’ll hardly ever use this probably and just for light work when I do.

Where should I be looking for a cheap one? Second hand is fine too.

Thanks for any info.
Smelly Stu

I’ve had a couple of things like that, Stu. I threw them both away because they were both crap. IMO, any time you’re going to try clamping a hand drill into a small stand like that, it’s not going to do the trick.
If you’re just wanting to drill screw holes, say in a peghead, you can do it perfectly well by hand, while if you’re wanting to drill actual tuning peg holes, you’ll find its not nearly stable enough.

My 2 cents.

I would call it a drill press. But I don’t know where to get one.

[quote=“sandman”]I’ve had a couple of things like that, Stu. I threw them both away because they were both crap. IMO, any time you’re going to try clamping a hand drill into a small stand like that, it’s not going to do the trick.
If you’re just wanting to drill screw holes, say in a peghead, you can do it perfectly well by hand, while if you’re wanting to drill actual tuning peg holes, you’ll find its not nearly stable enough.

My 2 cents.[/quote]

I realise it’s a pretty shitty option, but it will just have to do. I do have to drill peg holes (or at least widen them). I’d also be using it for drilling holes in die-cast aluminium boxes.

I’ve used drill presses/stands before and even though they’re not as stable as a good one with a built-in drill, they’re still better than trying to hold a drill vertically with one hand, while supporting what I’m drilling into with the other.

A drill press was good enough to accurately rout out the neck attachment on my Strat copy. Just had to be dead careful.

Anyway, still interested in any pointers on where to get one (and how much I could expect to pay).

If you want to go down the Dremel path, they have a nice press attachment.

Try the hardware shop on the corner of Heping and Keelung Road. Upstairs they have loads of tools. Can’t remember prices, but I bought one from there a few years back, so it MUST have been cheap.
Anyway, for widening existing peg holes, wouldn’t you be better off using a reamer?

Is that right by Technology Building MRT Station?

Yeah, and I’ve got a really nice one, but these particular tuners have a completely uniform diameter all the way down, so in this case I would be mad to do anything other than drill them out. That said, I might still end up using the reamer.

Truant, The holes are about 10mm, so I’m not sure a Dremel would be the best option for this. Plus for the die cast boxes, the holes go up to 12 mm. I do want to get a Dremel though. One of these days…

No, it’s right across Keelung Road from the Liuchangli MRT. From the outside it looks like a shop for plumbing supplies, but the second floor is an Aladdin’s cave of tools. Ot used to be, at least.

If your Chinese is good enough you could just try taking it to a machine shop and getting them to do it for you.

I’ve done something like this using a reamer and a rubber mallet to shove the tuning pegs in. Worked fine on the crappy strat copy I had at the time. Made it a bit better.

Sweet, I’ll definitely check that place out. Cheers.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]If your Chinese is good enough you could just try taking it to a machine shop and getting them to do it for you.

I’ve done something like this using a reamer and a rubber mallet to shove the tuning pegs in. Worked fine on the crappy strat copy I had at the time. Made it a bit better.[/quote]

Hmm… my Chinese is shite, plus I’d really like to do this myself. Anyway the reamer is still an option.

That’s a type 6 drill stand, any idiot knows you can’t put a 1590BB in a type 6. You need a type 7 :unamused: