WCIF chorizo?

EDIT: In an attempt to keep topics separate to facilitate merges and searching, I’ve edited this thread to be just about chorizo.

(Originally “Chorizo. Thai candied spicy tamarind. Fresh tortillas. Celebrator Doppelbock. Marzen. Maibock.”)

???

June 4, 2009 EDIT: See this postfor info on fresh, soft corn tortillas, 6", white or yellow corn, available in bags of a dozen for $48 at Florida Bakery, but often not stocked; call first to order.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Chorizo. Thai candied spicy tamarind. Fresh tortillas. Celebrator Doppelbock. Marzen. Maibock.

???[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I saw chorizo at City Super. No fresh tortillas but they had decent soft flour ones.

Yep, I saw chorizo at City Super, though I believe it was about NT$500 for it.

“Fresh” tortillas (or at least soft ones) can be found at Florida Bakery and possibly at Breeze center.

Thai candied spicy tamarind? Try the Breeze center small Thai food section, or do a search of these forums. I seem to remember someone who gave an excellent report about where in Taipei to get Thai spices (ranging from areas near Nanshijiao to Zhishan MRT stops).

What and where is City Super?

The Supermarket in the basement of the Far East Department Store on Dunhua near Technology Building MRT. Excellent place to shop. Well organized isles (with English signage), nice food court, great selection of international foods, etc.

Cool! Thanks! But a colleague tells me that the FE there went out of business. Can anyone confirm it’s still open before I go that far?

Not Far Eastern Dept. store – Far Eastern Mall, in the basement.

The old supermarket did go out of business. This new one opened up I think 6 months ago under Japanese management.

Far Eastern Mall…Far Eastern Dept. Store; Pot-ay-ta…Po-ta-ta :wink:

I run The Wurst Sausages operating out of Hualien and we have Chorizo that we deliver all over the island as well as Italian, Bratwurst, Canadian Maple, Breakfast, and Creole sausages. Call 09 19 250220

Creole? Is that like Andouille?

For the sake of humanity, will a mod please delete the title of this thread? How dare you taunt me by even mentioning such delicious yet unattainable food.

:laughing: You miss the point. We’re here to find ways of making this food attainable! For example, since posting this, I’ve managed to enjoy two out of the three. :sunglasses:

Creole? Is that like Andouille?[/quote]

Chris, Costco has something labelled Andouille (a creole sausage, I take it), FYI. [color=#808040]4/25/2009 EDIT: It’s not flavorful or spicy enough for my tastes, and too salty. I’ve not had the real stuff, so I’m just reacting to what I imagine it should be like. It’s too salty to use as breakfast sausage IMO. It’s okay if grilled, then sliced and browned on both sides of each coin, then used in jambalaya or chickpea stew, although P&P’s Mexican-style chorizo from Canada is actually much better for this purpose. Certainly better than the weird local stuff for such purposes (I don’t like Taiwanese sausage, as it’s a little sweet, too fatty, and often has some odd flavor added, perhaps five spice powder or something. Yuck.) [/color]

Creole is a milder version of Andouilee. It’s kinda like a tangier breakfast sausage with lost of onions in it.

Breeze Center has Cajun Andouille! Wheee! :bouncy:

I’ve found an eBay sellerthat will ship chorizo spice here, so you can just buy a bit of ground pork, add your own spice, and cook it in a skillet, to add to your Mexican eggs, tacos, chicken and rice, etc. He also sells annatto seeds and annatto seed powder (achiote, atsuete) in bulk, and Mexican oregano (a different plant than European oregano). FYI.

EDIT: Seller was Richsas; product listing may change but you can search eBay for him and ‘chorizo spice mix’.

I know I’m picking nits, but andouille is a cajun sausage, not creole, and it is always smoked. An unsmoked tangy breakfast sausage is not even in the same ballpark and you would start a small riot in Cajun country if you called it a cousin of andouille then compared it to a breakfast sausage (and that doesn’t even get into the Cajun/Creole thing).
A few years back Roy Lyons (a certified master chef from Louisanna) was here promoting Cajun cooking and bought some of that “andouille” from Costco just before we were to put on a jambalaya demonstration. I can still see the disapointment in his face when he had a sample then asked me if I thought we had enough time to go pick up some keilbasa he had seen before the demo.
If anyone if interested, I know a wholesaler that has chorizo (Spanish, American, and Canadian) available.

G&G in Tianmu has Spanish chorizo. They’ll try to convince you it’s the same as Mexican chorizo, which of course it isn’t.

What is G&G and where in Tianmu is it?

G&G is a deli in Tianmu where you can get good sandwiches, sliced meats and cheeses, and a variety of imported gourmet items and Western foods. Some may remember them from many years ago, when they were a classy-looking deli on the west side of Zhongshan road a couple km south of Wellman’s, but now they are in an alley behind the NE corner of the intersection of Zhongshan and Tianmu.

Take Zhongshan N. Rd. north, past the American school, and cross the main part of the Tianmu Rd. intersection then IMMEDIATELY turn right onto a small, poorly marked road before passing any buildings or stores (it almost feels like you haven’t completely cleared the Tianmu Rd. intersection). You’ll see a 7-11 fifty yards ahead; go past that, veering slightly leftward, and you’ll see a bright pink sign. Just past that is G&G, on the south side of the alley.

G&G has some things Wellman’s either doesn’t carry or is sometimes out of, but also many of the same items. Today I saw filo, clotted creams (I don’t recall seeing either at Wellman’s*), turkey franks, beef franks, pepperoni, corn tortillas (Wellman’s is often out of those), English muffins, some decent breads, meats and cheeses, and Anchor Steam beer, among other things. I normally go to Wellman’s, but they were closed today, and open tomorrow.

*Edit: saw clotted cream at Wellman’s, March 2011