WCIF Digital voice recorders like Olympus?

Such as those made by Olympus:

DM-10
WS-200S
D-2
WS-100

etc

Oddly enough, I thought they would be everywhere but they’re not. Mind-bogglingly, I have seen tape versions of these on sale for US$100 (US$20 in the States) in Carrefour. I hope this isn’t one of the things that’s ridiculously expensive in Taiwan…

I suppose a trip to Ximending is the answer?

I’ve also been looking for them, but I feel they are overpriced.
I’ve seen no-name ones at the computer market for two grand (Just 32MB).

Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.
I got a Panasonic one at 3C for like 3K, I think.

[quote=“the chief”]Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.
I got a Panasonic one at 3C for like 3K, I think.[/quote]

Yeah, but the problem is they don’t a speaker, which I want. I guess the Lord does too.

I would like to get a voice recorder and then mix two voices together, left and right channel. Can one of those things do it, or do I have to buy a program too?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”]Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.

Yeah, but the problem is they don’t a speaker, which I want. I guess the Lord does too.[/quote]

Headphone jack?

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”]Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.

Yeah, but the problem is they don’t a speaker, which I want. I guess the Lord does too.[/quote]

Headphone Jack?[/quote]

Sigh… OK, for example I want to record daddy saying something to IrishSean. Then mummy can play it back to him while daddy is not there. IrishSean is likely to tug at any cables, etc, so an all-in-one is required.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”]Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.

Headphone Jack?[/quote]

Sigh… OK, for example I want to record daddy saying something to IrishSean. Then mummy can play it back to him while daddy is not there. IrishSean is likely to tug at any cables, etc, so an all-in-one is required.[/quote]
Megaphone?

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“irishstu”]

Sigh… OK, for example I want to record daddy saying something to IrishSean. Then mummy can play it back to him while daddy is not there. IrishSean is likely to tug at any cables, etc, so an all-in-one is required.[/quote]
Megaphone?[/quote]

Yeah! That’ll help him fall asleep. You’re the man, richardm.

I bet it’s cheaper to get one sent out from the States. B&H photo will ship an US$80 one over for US$100. I’m just afraid customs will want a piece of the action.

I have been told mp3 players are a bid fiddly to operate for voice recording (traipsing through menus), and I’d rather not be bothered with the external mic and headphones. Too many wires.

Guess I’ll have to get mumsie to post one over from the other side of the world. Or someone in HK… Will let you know if I find any here at sensible money.

i needed to get one for my thesis interviews. a number of people recommended ERGOTECH:

ergotech.com.tw

look under products at the 5133. this is the newer one. works great as a DVR, and can be used as an MP3 as well. you will need to buy another memory card, but they are cheap now (i got a 1 MB for under $1500 NT). the unit itself was $2800 NT.

i did have to phone ergotech to find out where to get one out here in the sticks. i imagine that taipei would be easier, but you may still want to phone and find a shop close to you.

buy some rechargeable batteries and you’re on your way.

[quote=“xtrain”]i needed to get one for my thesis interviews. a number of people recommended ERGOTECH:

ergotech.com.tw

look under products at the 5133. this is the newer one. works great as a DVR, and can be used as an MP3 as well. you will need to buy another memory card, but they are cheap now (I got a 1 MB for under $1500 NT). the unit itself was $2800 NT.

I did have to phone ergotech to find out where to get one out here in the sticks. i imagine that Taipei would be easier, but you may still want to phone and find a shop close to you.

buy some rechargeable batteries and you’re on your way.[/quote]

And it can record the phone. Thanks a lot for that, will be checking that out. Brill! Really didn’t want to wait for one to come from the US…!

Does one buy it in a normal shop, or get it straight from the company?

a buddy of mine bought a gadget for his ipod a while back that attached to it and recorded voice and stuff. I have no idea if it also had a speaker. I have no idea what it was called or even if you have an ipod. It might have been called an i-mic.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“xtrain”]i needed to get one for my thesis interviews. a number of people recommended ERGOTECH:

ergotech.com.tw

look under products at the 5133. this is the newer one. works great as a DVR, and can be used as an MP3 as well. you will need to buy another memory card, but they are cheap now (I got a 1 MB for under $1500 NT). the unit itself was $2800 NT.

I did have to phone ergotech to find out where to get one out here in the sticks. i imagine that Taipei would be easier, but you may still want to phone and find a shop close to you.

buy some rechargeable batteries and you’re on your way.[/quote]

And it can record the phone. Thanks a lot for that, will be checking that out. Brill! Really didn’t want to wait for one to come from the US…!

Does one buy it in a normal shop, or get it straight from the company?[/quote]

i bought it from a store that the company told me carried it. you may find you can get it direct as i believe that you are in taipei … i dunno though.

be prepared for a bit of a run around on the phone call too - they weren’t sure what to do with me for about 5 minutes. but the product is good.

I think there is a local brand called Denpa or something similar. I have only seen it in local mail-order catalogues though…

Edit:
Maybe you can contact them and ask for their local distributor: www.denpa.com.tw

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“the chief”]Go with a mike-equipped MP3 player, plenty of HD space, and way cheaper, upload to the PC via USB.

Headphone Jack?[/quote]

OK, but the OP doesn’t have any kids, so that soap don’t float…

[quote=“the chief”]

OK, but the OP doesn’t have any kids, so that soap don’t float…[/quote]

[quote=“X3M”]I think there is a local brand called Denpa or something similar. I have only seen it in local mail-order catalogues though…

Edit:
Maybe you can contact them and ask for their local distributor: www.denpa.com.tw[/quote]

Checked that out thanks. Funny the product looks great, but here’s a bloke who’s none too happy with his! Guess I’ll have to give them a ring.

Cheers for that.

WOW! Looking at a website that is charging three times the price of having one sent over from the USA. I kid you not. Go to this comedy website and then price the same thing at B&H Photo including UPS at US$35. Then really scare yourself by going to a discount site!

Some things in Taiwan are insanely expensive. Oh well.

xtrain, was the recording quality on yours good enough for voice recognition software? What model did you get exactly? You don’t happen to know what the bitrate and format of the highest quality recording is?

Still worried about the quality of the Taiwanese machines and have read a few negative reviews about mp3 players that also record. I want to record sounds and voice and have no interest in mp3 playing, whatever that is.

Comedy Pricing:

Olympus DS-2 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder (or “Vice” Recorder, as I just typed. So, Dr Freud, same time next week?)

B&H Photo price, including shipping to Taiwan: NT$4,703

Not available in Taiwan, but the DS-20 is NT$9,490 in Taiwan and NT$6,006 including shipping from B&H Photo in New York. One HUNDRED fucking US dollars cheaper. (Next time somebody criticises America, remind them that they pay half as much as the Euros for everything and their salaries are twice as big. Feel free to remind me as well. God bless America.)

Just like Taiwanese photo equipment retailers, these guys selling these DVRs in Taiwan are making a fortune. B&H Photo is relatively expensive - if I could get Overstockers to ship to Taiwan… (Why do so few online US stores ship abroad?) The unit below is a hundred bucks at B&H, but its big brother with twice the capacity (256MB) is US$109 at Amazon, who won’t ship abroad. Poo.

Olympus WS200S

B&H Photo price, including shipping to Taiwan: NT$4,158

Comedy Taiwan Price: NT$7,990 (nearly twice as much)

And so on.

I’ve heard the samples of the DS-2 and they are exactly the quality I want. Bit perturbed by the talk of handling noise on the W200S as I don’t want to lug around an external mic… Hmmm.

Websites:

tw.search.shopping.yahoo.com/cat … d=97009326

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ype=search

oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly … 8/ds2.html