WCIF Fennel seeds in K-Town

How about a trying a ‘Chinese’ medicine store, you can get lots of stuff there that are spices in the west but medicine in Taiwan/China. They can even grind it up for you. And it’s cheaper.

1 Like

I was wondering about that brand too. I used to buy those all the time, including in Tainan I think, but I haven’t noticed them in ages. They especially showed up in the baking supply stores I think.

You may want to have a look in the different baking supply stores - the post linked below is from 2011, but some of the Kaohsiung stores must still be around.

1 Like

Shopee is easy enough to use without being able to read any Chinese tbh, so no need to bother colleagues. You could maybe try this store/product though:

https://shopee.tw/product/230751321/5518631745?smtt=0.21050588-1641105445.9

The physical store is in Kaohsiung - search for “平易行” on Google Maps.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t have occurred to me, since the Indian guys who taught me to make chai the way their moms made it didn’t use star anise. But you’re right, that’s a very good suggestion!

1 Like

Too bad you’re in K-town and not up here in Taipei as I have all the spices right here on my shelf. But we buy wholesale.

1 Like

Ha! The first place of thought of for Chinese medicine is a market area where also 平易行 from @Andrew is located! I will definitely check out this area but I think it’s closed today…

1 Like

i still can’t read chinese

Use Google translate

This does seem to be a Chinese medicine store according to Google Maps. And the Shopee ad suggests that they distinguish between fennel (小茴香/甜茴香) and cumin (孜然), despite Google translating them both as cumin.

yeah, Google translate is very limited. i’ll just head by that market area, i’ve walked through there and there are a lot of TC medicine shops

Same question in Chinese, with some answers, you use web site translation, one said 正忠市 (Jhengjhong Rd. Markets) and there some others

this isn’t helpful

Commercially they often seem to be translated the same as well.

" There are two types of fennel . … Stems, leaves and seeds of this type of fennel are harvested and used." And one is the ‘Florence’ fennel.

So it obviously gives two different seeds, similar flavor.

Fennel grown in taiwan is of the varieties used for vegetable (enlarged stems). The seed, which is used mostly as a spice in both chinese and indian cuisine is a far different plant but the same species.

Chinese medicine stores always carry fennel seed. They have poor chinese in regards to names and often call cumin “small fennel”, hence the headache you are having. Nevermind caraway and anise seed. Taiwan companies can be hit or miss and sometimes TOTALLY miss the mark on even the names. Seems like it should be illegal, but…ya…taiwan is still evolving when it comes to due diligence in the food sector. The bigger worry with chinese medicine doctors/stores is they are famously terrible at quality control (so check for mold, rat/gecko/cockroach shit) and generally use in small quantities as they are often far less clean than food factory standards are.

I just googled fennel seed and got these results, so shouldnt be that hard to find. If you call/email any of them they should be able to tell you if they are fennel/caraway/anise/cumin seed. Anyone that sells a product (with the exception of TCM) should know what species they have a FDA requires it…

http://www.spicechasm.com/SP.Foeniculum-vulgare.html

Based on the picture, this place even has the young inmmature green fennel if budget is a consideration.

All english google search :wink:

I’m amazed there are so few, if any, south Asian stores in Kaoshiung.

In your situation I’d use the opportunity to go and have some curry then ask if they sell fennel seeds after the meal. I doubt they’ll charge you.

I used to get fresh fennel from an Italian restaurant doing that. They did charge me, but it was worth it.

1 Like

The Chinese medicine market area had it. First place I asked. They also had whole cloves and cinnamon sticks. They didn’t have cardamom, neither did the next few places I asked, so back to Cook Box for this.

Now it’s too late and I don’t have milk, but ready for some spicy tea in the coming days.

1 Like

Cardamom I have too, pods.

i have the pods now, cook box