WCIF: Heirloom Tomatoes

I’m just wondering for reference if anyone has seen Heirloom Tomatoes in Taiwan markets? I’ve heard that there are some farms that grow these tomatoes here, but I have yet to see any in stores or markets that I go to.

Bump!

Looking for heirloom or Roma tomatoes.

I also heard there are some farms I can get fresh, organic produce delivered from. Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Grazie Mille.

2 Likes

What’s so special about heirloom tomatoes that once every decade someone pops in here and asks for them?

“heirloom tomatoes” just means a local variety that has been selected for flavour instead of its commercial properties (transportability, storage, high yield under a standard fertilizer programme, etc).

Known-You Seeds are one of the main players in the commercial seed market here and they have a whole bunch of high-quality varieties which (I think) they’ve developed themselves. I’m not sure if they qualify as “heirloom” exactly, but I’ve seen quite a few of their tomato varieties (and other things) being sold in the markets and fruit/veg shops. Not so much in supermarkets.

Or, of course, you can grow your own …

2 Likes

Because tomatoes have been GMO’d into tasting like foam over the last few years. I will neither argue for nor against GMOs, but a good strawberry or tomato is a million times better than the crap that is sold in grocery stores and markets of late. I find myself picking tomatoes out of everything lately because, while they once enhanced a dish, they now ruin it.

2 Likes

Sure. The local organic stores carry heirloom tomatoes occasionally. There are several organic farming associations that you can suscribe to and get a box full of fresh produce regularly at an attractive price.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you know any good local organic shops in Taipei? I do most of my grocery shopping at the big markets so don’t know any…

There are many chains. Where do you live? At least there should be Cottonfields and Santa Cruz. Large supermarkets like PX Mart and City Super carry an organic produce section.

I usually go to city super at SOGO, but found their tomatoes have been bad. Anything in that area would be helpful. Sorry - I’m a complete noob here.

Edit: a local farmers market type place would be ideal. I can check other markets as well.

Eh which SOGO? There are several… :sweat_smile:

Local farmers? Hmmm Jienguo Holiday Weekend Market and Water Museum market in Gongguan come to mind.

There are traditional markets in most crooks and crannies of the city. Again, where do you live?

Lol. SOGO at fuxing.

I live away from the city in taoyuan, but am often in Taipei.

A few blocks away: the Hope Plaza Farmers market.

Taipei Hope Square
100, Taipei City, Zhongzheng District, Linsen N Rd, 北平東路
02 2393 0801
https://maps.app.goo.gl/T9kWH9aNrRGtk3jx7

The Tanhou organic supermarket, all organic:

TANHOU
100, Taipei City, Zhongzheng District, Beiping East Road, 30號
02 2351 6268
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BXdbn7SkKA8pWvXo9

There should be something else nearer but these are the best.

4 Likes

Thank you!

There are a lot of shops claiming to sell organic groceries. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a look at Tanhou. The whole supermarket claims to sell organic stuff.