WCIF Orange Juice with Calcium and Vitamin D?

In the US, orange juice is sold with the option of having calcium and vitamin D.
Has anyone seen this OJ sold like that here in Taiwan?
Thanks.

Maybe if you buy imported, at Jason’s or City Super. Try the organic stores, too. Better do not buy local juice, after the plasticizer scandal, most of the ingredients leaked out, and plastic was the least of your worries.The

Personally, I either buy oranges and do it myself, or even better: have the stand people squeeze them on the spot and get a bottle. Cheaper. And some vitamin supplements, remember not to go overboard with Vitamin D.

[quote=“Icon”]Maybe if you buy imported, at Jason’s or City Super. Try the organic stores, too. Better do not buy local juice, after the plasticizer scandal, most of the ingredients leaked out, and plastic was the least of your worries.The

Personally, I either buy oranges and do it myself, or even better: have the stand people squeeze them on the spot and get a bottle. Cheaper. And some vitamin supplements, remember not to go overboard with Vitamin D.[/quote]
What plasticizer scandal?

[quote=“PapaAzucar”][quote=“Icon”]Maybe if you buy imported, at Jason’s or City Super. Try the organic stores, too. Better do not buy local juice, after the plasticizer scandal, most of the ingredients leaked out, and plastic was the least of your worries.The

Personally, I either buy oranges and do it myself, or even better: have the stand people squeeze them on the spot and get a bottle. Cheaper. And some vitamin supplements, remember not to go overboard with Vitamin D.[/quote]
What plasticizer scandal?[/quote]

It was a bit before your time: DEHP: Taiwan's Version of the Chinese Milk Scandal?
First Plasticizer Culprits Sentenced
Enjoy.

What Icon said. Buy organic oranges by the case, and juice them yourself, or buy OJ from someone juicing cases of oranges on a street corner so you can see what goes into the bottle. Get your calcium from doufu, cheese or milk (etc.) and your vitamin D from sunlight, salmon, mackerel, tuna, egg yolk, or liver. It’s really not worth the effort to try to source OJ here with these added, :2cents: and you can’t really trust the local juices, many of which are 10% juice (with this info sometimes hidden in tiny print in Chinese, or not even present), plus sugar, water and the gods know what else.

I snagged some organic oranges for free this week, and just now made a lovely milkshake (for the calcium and vitamin D) with bananas (potassium), OJ, and pineapple added.

I saw some Ocean Spray Cranberry juice at 7-11.
Do not trust those as well?

I can’t speak to that product in particular, but after this, as well as after years of scrutinizing ingredient lists and being disappointed in the quality of the products (often just loaded with sugar and preservatives, with little real quality content), I personally have little trust in manufacturers of packaged drinks and foods in general, and make as much as possible from scratch. :idunno: Fruit juices are particularly easy to make, for instance, and you can decrease the likelihood of pesticide residue by buying organic.

[quote=“PapaAzucar”]I saw some Ocean Spray Cranberry juice at 7-11.
Do not trust those as well?[/quote]

Yep, that was on the plasticizer list, too.

Really, Papa Azucar, take advantage of the natural fruits and veggies here. You really do not want to know what’s inside that stuff. And we are not talking about sugar -stuff like even that corn syrup. We are talking nasties.

In the US, you may need vitamin packed foodstuff because fresh fruits and veggies are harder to find and more expensive. Those “enrichments” may be at least justified in places up north where the sun doesn’t shine for many months. Here, if it worked at all, you’d go overboard in vitamin ingestion. Yes, read about that.

My :2cents: : if you do not want your health to take a beating, avoid “fruit” drinks, unless you take a fruit, peel it, put it in a blender and beat it. At least you can have that. My doctor won’t even allow me my favorite organic apple juice. And for heaven’s sake do not take tea drinks from cheapie drink stands. If they do friit drinks in front of you, OK. But last time, even Yakult was in a mess.

I love apple and carrot or apple and celery. Try it.

Pick up a $5k Philips blender and a juicer in a dual set at Costco, for instance. Do not get a cheaper, unknown brand at a store like RTMart, Carrefour or a local shop for $1200. The former should last; the latter will probably not. :2cents:

Go to the 248 organic farmer’s stand in the Mitsukoshi food court (our favorite), just north of Vie (fka Warner’s), or your local Cottonfield or other organic grocer. Or if you don’t want to pay more for organic, go to your local fruit stand, but scrub the skins well with a 3M pad and soap, and rinse well. Buy what’s in season, and make fresh juice. It’s SOOOO much better than the packaged, stale, adulterated crap.