WCIF pull-up bar, yoga mats, dumbbells & workout tools?

i.e. yoga mats, dumbbells, etc.

Starting P90X workout!

Pull-up bars seem to be non-existent in TW.

There’s an ok weights-type store on Nanjing E Rd opposite Taipei Arena.

Athletic shoe store on Shi-Da Rd has some equipment upstairs. Not sure how high their weights go, but a yoga mat should be easy to come by - hugely popular.

There are pullups bars somewhere near the track @ Tai-Da & also by the playground at Da’an park, but you could always just find the closest playground/bus stop. I started P90X a few months back (before breaking myself in an unrelated accident) and initially attempted just using fingertips on a door frame in my apartment w/one foot on a chair … I wouldn’t advise that.

Yoga mats and dumbells (one-piece type) are on sale at Carrefour and other big supermarkets. Also try municipal sports centres.

[quote=“cfimages”]Pull-up bars seem to be non-existent in TW.
[/quote]

A lot more fitness equipment is here than people think. But you have to know where to find it.

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090505018157#pic

This is a good pullup bar that recently became available in Taiwan a few months ago. The price is about what you’d pay in the States.

shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 8&ROWNO=20

This is another good one from PCHome. It’s nice if you don’t have much space.

Hope this helps.

My friend bought a chinup bar somewhere in Taipei, and I vaguely remember seeing one in a store once, but I can’t remember where. They’re very hard to find, but they do exist.

You can get this sub-standard doorway chinup bar in many places:

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090512323872

Please don’t shoot me – I didn’t arrange that picture. :slight_smile:

They’re usually found in sports shops along with the pink dumbbells and cheap jump ropes but I don’t recommend them.

The other doorway pullup bar I posted higher in the thread is much more versatile, safer, and won’t hurt your doorframe. The cheaper one will.

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”]

shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 8&ROWNO=20

This is another good one from PCHome. It’s nice if you don’t have much space.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

The problem is, at least in my experience, that doors and so on don’t have any trim to hang that onto. The doors in apartment, for example, have no trim whatsoever. It’s a frame and the wall surrounds it. It’s smooth. Other doors are sliding. Doors at my school are regular doors, but the trim isn’t nearly big enough to use one of those bars.

I would love to be able to use one… I had one in America. Just no way to use it here.

I have one of those ones that you screw into the side of the frame (I got it from Australia) and I’ve had a friend who weighs close to 100kg use it with no problems. Aside from leaving a few small screw holes in the frame, I don’t see how it damages the door.

You have to be careful that the doorframe is very sturdy, usually in a load-bearing wall. I put it up in one doorway in our apartment that was in a non-loadbearing wall and I cracked the doorframe when I screwed the bar tight into position.

Also if you don’t want to screw the ends into the doorframe (an issue for some people) and just put the bar up by itself in the frame, then you leave these ugly black rubber marks on the doorframe when you take it down. It can also rub the paint of the frame.

The other pull-up bar above won’t do any of that.

You have to be careful that the doorframe is very sturdy, usually in a load-bearing wall. I put it up in one doorway in our apartment that was in a non-loadbearing wall and I cracked the doorframe when I screwed the bar tight into position.

Also if you don’t want to screw the ends into the doorframe (an issue for some people) and just put the bar up by itself in the frame, then you leave these ugly black rubber marks on the doorframe when you take it down. It can also rub the paint of the frame.

The other pull-up bar above won’t do any of that.[/quote]

I haven’t noticed any problems and I’ve had mine screwed in there for well over a year now. Cracking the doorframe probably has little to nothing to do with whether it’s a load-bearing wall or not as the pressure from the wall bearing down on the frame and the pressure of the screw into the wood are in different directions. The important things would be the size of the screws (the thicker the diameter of each screw, the more likely you will be to crack the wood), the quality/density of the wood, and where each screw is positioned within the frame (i.e. in the middle or close to the edge).

Pull up bars are a good workout, but I’ve always been a fan of the peg board.

Not a lot of places with high ceilings in Taiwan, but even a 10 foot one would be useful.