WCIF: SAD lamps

The lamp finally arrived! I just measured the brightness, and it is actually around 10,000.

2 Likes

Just in time.

@vibekiller - do you continue to use this? Any problems?

@nz - did you ever find anything?

Yes, it’s been working perfectly. Though, thankfully, lately it’s been so sunny that I didn’t have any need to use the lamp. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

might be easier to know the specs of the lights, then ask for those specs. the lighting stores probably dont get your light depression issues, but they do understand lumens, kalvins ,wattage etc :slight_smile: just go with the data, they will sort you right out :slight_smile:

I also dont know really what a SAD light actually.is other than brighter light for people. but I do agricultural lights as well as pet industry lights go way up into the lumens as well as having precise graphs and timelines, in nanometers, on what their products produce :slight_smile: can try pet stores as well, if they match the specs you need :slight_smile:

watch your eyes.

I thought SAD light is lights that makes you sad.

Lights in Taiwan makes the whole place look like prison with the bright white fluorescent light everywhere. I hate those.

no, they are lights to place inside the house to brighten your indoor environment. in super northern/southern latitudes the winters can be dark as fuck and it can mess with peoples brains. in taiwan it’s probably.moreso people work during the day ad dont get suitable sun exposure. foreigners from some places may not be used to the short day lengths either. so they use artificial light to stimulate their eyeballs and trick their brains into certain photoperiods and/or intensities to make their chemical productions flow properly. a big reason outdoor exercise is beneficial to those that normally arent outdoors during the day.

badically: some people get depressed when living in the dark. there are many ways to resolve this, one way is through indoor lighting. check the data and insert suitable radiation into your sockets. air quality, fitness etc also are incredibly improtant. but basic lumens to eye ratios are still quite important.

2 Likes

Isn’t the blue light from computer screens also tricking your eye into thinking daylight, and so you have trouble sleeping?

yes, and the proximity to such screens also.

I fail to believe that the hunters, loggers etc that can spot a cockroach 100m away at night in a forest vs the "educated and sophisticated " living indoors can barely read a book without crazy lenses isnt relevant.

hyperbolic, but absolutely on point. indoor taiwan living is pretty damn dire.

1 Like

Just wanted to point out that a scarcity of SAD among hunters, loggers, etc., seems to go hand in hand with developing cataracts late in life. Prolonged, lifelong exposure to sunlight can result in cataracts.

But I think you’re onto something. I keep a SAD lamp on my desk. I use it for ~30 minutes first thing in the morning, even during summer and even on sunny days (too lazy to take my first cup of coffee outside). The biggest benefit is improved sleep. Using it first thing every morning seems to result in good sleep (~16 hours later) that lasts all night long. So, keeps SAD at bay but also really helps sleep quality (for me).

4 Likes

I’d like to give one of these a try over the winter. Any more brand recommendations?

This is the one I have.

2 Likes

That just looks like a regular light.

What’s different about it and do you feel different with it?

I mean, it is basically just a lamp that can reach over 10,000 lux and has full spectrum light. I bought a compact one that looks like a normal lamp, but there are fancier, larger ones that look like a mirror.

very interesting point. I mentioned those 2 as they tend to be outdoors, have a job that requires close and long distance, and mosti importantly under forest canopy. I also note a huge difference in eyesight between such folks and say farmers who are out in direct sun all day. it’s a quite stark difference. Your point makes me wonder though. Cheers. will certainly be more observant and curious here on about this. I wonder how much if a difference there is. Probably more accurately it is just about how much time the sunlight goes directly into ones eyes.

Perhaps a business idea .for leaf filtered sunlight?

on that note, as many may have noticed. the position of the light is essential as well. above, not on angles that just keep glaring into your sockets is probably more ideal. ie. desktop lamps<overhead

Slightly off topic, but a few nights ago I watched the 1984 movie Threads for the first time. It’s about a USSR attack on NATO assets in Britain that results in nuclear winter there. When the ash disappears, after a full year, the sun comes back but due to damage to the ozone layer cancer and cataracts become more prevalent among survivors. Pretty grim. So maybe you’re onto something with taking in"leaf-filtered sunlight." :thinking:

fwiw, highly recommend Threads. Still highly watchable imo although Brits might find it unforgivably dated.

Case in point: Australia :innocent: