WCIF: SAD lamps

Hey all,
Taipei’s constant rain is really bringing down my mood. I want to invest in a SAD lamp (lights that have 10,000 lumens to imitate the sun) and see if that helps. Problem is that everyone I talk to, locals and expats alike, have no idea what I’m talking about.

Other than paying as much for shipping as the lamp itself off Amazon, does anyone know where I could get one (ideally locally)? Thanks!

1 Like

Like this?

https://shopee.tw/SAD-light-%E7%88%86%E6%AC%BE%E5%A4%AA%E9%99%BD%E7%87%88-happylight-%E5%85%89%E7%99%82%E7%87%88-table-LED%E5%85%89%E7%99%82%E7%87%88-%E5%8A%A9%E7%9C%A0%E5%84%80%E4%B8%80%E9%AB%94-i.143728059.6908780488

I find a Google image search with item name and “site:.tw” can help

1 Like

Yes, thanks for running the search. That one’s only 1,000 lumens, so I’d need ten of them to be effective…and I worry about something that cheap…the SAD lamps I’ve seen in the US are all at least US$100. But I’ll check out your search parameters tomorrow; all this rain makes me want to sleep early :sleeping:

1 Like

I’m so happy it’s not hot, I’m full of energy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Free shipping on Amazon if you spend over 75$, Amazon.com : sad light

1 Like

But then that would put the order over the limit of NT$2000 where import duty/VAT becomes an issue, no?

I’d also want to check whether this counts as a “medical device” in the view of Taiwanese customs, since that might cause other issues.

1 Like

After trying some of that coffee at Zhenfei, I know what’s going on. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Get ready your wallet or flee the country when they send the electricity bill…

Deleted

Or: take a trip to Tainan or Kaohsiung to refresh and get re-energized.

Guy

2 Likes

Shhhh!!! Don’t let them in on my plan. Actually, you’re only supposed to sit under them for 15-30 minutes a day, so I can’t imagine it would do that much to the energy bill.

Someone else can chime in on this as I haven’t ordered anything from Amazon however if I remember correctly they add taxes at checkout.

Would be highly surprised if it does, it’s a light and as far as I know is not medically proven effective.

I did this already. It really is worth it.

2 Likes

In most cases yes, they’ll estimate it and refund if you’ve overpaid. I usually am refunded a couple of bucks on most orders.

2 Likes

@nz did you settle for any lamps? I am struggling with SAD right now, and I won’t be able to go outside of Taipei until CNY. :disappointed_relieved:

LED lighting is super cheap…
10,000 lumens is only a few hundred dollars a year assuming 8 hours a day

I have not. The ones on Amazon were all clearly from Chinese/Taobao sellers and I didn’t trust the product descriptions/reviews, which were all clearly written by non-English speakers. The stuff on Shopee looked even worse. Right now I just make a point of going outside at lunchtime, regardless of what the skies look like, and sitting by windows as much as humanly possible. Exercise and meditation help too

2 Likes

I moved my home desk right up against a window.

It helps even though cloudy most/all of the time.

Would love to find some SAD lighting in a shop that I can touch and view before buying.

3 Likes

In an impulse of being fed up of lacking energy, I ordered this one

I’ll report about its effects after some days of using it.

1 Like

Only 15w? I doubt it’s putting out many lumens.

1 Like