We are done with Canada (Retirement update)

He will talk/interact with other humans. The whole age specific interaction thing I don’t really buy into, he has many friends of different ages already.

He also chats with his friends online already, Covid has taught us much about socializing online.

Personally, I think the big concerns with “socializing” in relation to homeschooling (and in our case while travelling) are massively overblown, and he will be just fine. One thing Covid has taught me is that humans are resilient, and we can cope with pretty much anything. A year travelling is not going to harm his “socialization”; whatever that means.

@Darkesontr This is a bit of a push button topic for me; my apologies - this isn’t aimed at you at all. I just think that much of the “socialization” that we learn in school is how to deal (or not) with bullies, how to cope with negative peer pressure (as a child), and often unreasonable, cookie cutter demands of teachers. Although many say, “well they need to learn to deal with these things”, that is true, but with many of these things you often learn very poor coping mechanisms in grade school (that often become trauma based patterns later). They can wait until later (when the child is older and more mature) to learn these things, in my opinion.

Peer groups are important, but become a lot more important in the teenage years, which for him don’t hit for a few more years yet. It will only be a year and change, and I think he will do fine.

3 Likes