We Don't Need No Education?

Got to disagree. Seeing how much time I’ve been spending posting on this group is making me think that maybe I could’ve gotten well into some course by now. How about it? Maybe do an MA and then work up to a Ph.D, so I could put Dr. Hakkasonic on my business cards.

How about it?

Has anyone done an MA, via correspondence, in Taiwan? I think that there are quite a few British universities with such courses and that students can take the exams in Taiwan (or Hong Kong). Anyone have any experience with this?

I do. There are any number of schools which offer degrees at-a-distance. Some of these schools are legitimate and even good, others are diploma mills, and there’s all kinds of stuff in between. The earliest and perhaps most famous example (on the “good” side) would be the University of London.

I recommend a book by John Bear and Mariah Bear, “The Bears’ Guide To Non-Traditional Degrees.” A web search for John Bear will also get you his website, which has a lot of info on it.

Note that Taiwan’s ministry of education will not recognize any degrees which were earned non-residentially, even if the school they came from is legitimate and good. So if you want to use the degree to apply to teach at universities etc. in Taiwan, think again.

TESOL is one of the more common distance learning degrees, but there are plenty more courses aimed at working professionals. Distance Learning is now a big business. As pointed out above, since the establishment of the Open University in the 1969 there are many UK courses, and more US universities are starting to offer the same. There is a short discussion about TESOL distance learning courses here:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=9 … ight=tesol

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]

Note that Taiwan’s ministry of education will not recognize any degrees which were earned non-residentially, even if the school they came from is legitimate and good. So if you want to use the degree to apply to teach at universities etc. in Taiwan, think again.[/quote]

Or you could lie. Soddom’s and mine doesn’t SAY Distance Learning on the Diploma. :unamused:

I would advise anyone doing DL that one must be highly disciplined and have plenty of time to work on it. If you have lots going on in your life and tend to get distracted easily, DL probably isn’t for you.