We need a Spanish-language forum!

You need to find someone to do all that work, and I’d like to offer my services, so here ya go:

Come on someone! Find all those posts!

Don’t mention it. :wink:

[/quote]
FYI, I’m open to the idea of new forums, but first I’d like to see a demonstrated need, i.e. show me 30+ threads that could immediately be moved over to …[/quote]

I’m sorry but this thinking seem a bit circular. It assumes people will talk about a topic before there is a topic to talk about! This may work for a few related threads were a particular theme keeps cropping up but for more genuinely new ideas it is simply the kiss of death.

What’s so bad about starting a new thread and killing it off if it doesn’t take off?

Michael

[quote=“Maoman”] I think a Parenting Forum would/could be very valuable, but I’d like somebody to show me (in one post) the dozens of threads that could be moved there. That would be all the proof I’d need. :sunglasses:

There’s your challenge![/quote]

The other problem is similar to when the womens forum was set up for women only. Not only will it have a tendancy to be private information made public but those that are being written about will have access to it.

Example I ran out a thread for a while about my daughter being in the USA and worrying about drugs. I got great feedback and it helped.

But…if the mentioned party got on the site and found that thread there could be hell to pay (my hell) for talking about her in a public forum.

But…I really do not like the idea of all these private rooms on Forumosa and divisions. Seems to be a recipe for fragmenting the site into groups that can go them against us in the more public forums with back up from the private forums.

So, maybe a good idea and keep it public. Private issues could be discussed by PM with like minded people. These links being established through the general discussion on the parents forum.

Maybe that could have worked with the women? I understand that the problem was men coming in and making smart comments. Well, if the same was happening on the parents forum people could be warned that it is outside the rules. Again, similar problem with a solution.

[quote=“Maoman”]FWIW, I think a Parenting Forum would/could be very valuable, but I’d like somebody to show me (in one post) the dozens of threads that could be moved there. That would be all the proof I’d need. :sunglasses:

There’s your challenge![/quote]

Here’s a few - from a quick search (for ‘parent’, then ‘baby’), so maybe not all are relevant (and i’m sure i’ve missed loads) … i’ve left out obvious legal questions related to kids/parent,.

Educating your child in Taiwan [Educating your child in Taiwan

Parenting Issues - please repost forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=

What would you do if an adult hit your kid at school [What would you do if an adult hit your kid at school(Update) - #23 by karmaGfa

Re: How easily do children addopt a foreign accent? [How easily do children adopt a foreign accent? - #2 by wipt

Home schooling? [Home schooling? - #10 by braxtonhicks

10% of Men not the Father of their Children [10% of Men not the Father of their Children - #29 by david

high school options for non-millionaire expats??? [High school options for non-millionaire expats? - #78 by ImaniOU

Abusive Taiwanese in-laws [Abusive Taiwanese in-laws - #5 by ling_7070

I lost to the Dark Side yesterday. [I lost to the Dark Side yesterday - #15 by Lord_Lucan

Taiwan kiddies and Stranger Danger [Taiwan kiddies and Stranger Danger - #27 by OutofChaos

In-laws staying with us in America [In-laws staying with us in America

Baby Health Questions [Baby Health Questions - #13 by llama_lout

Conception & Birthing costs in Taiwan [Conception & Birthing costs in Taiwan - #6 by braxtonhicks

Re: Bassman Baby Born [Bassman Baby Born - #39 by Yellow_Cartman

Are there Baby supply shops round Shi-Da area?Playpen [Are there Baby supply shops round Shida area?Playpen - #5 by Shenme_Niao

Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron [Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron - #2 by Mother_Theresa

Baby seats [Baby seats - #6 by Hobart

Two boys born today. [Two boys born today - #41 by Limey

[quote=“Ironman”]But…I really do not like the idea of all these private rooms on Forumosa and divisions. Seems to be a recipe for fragmenting the site into groups that can go them against us in the more public forums with back up from the private forums.

So, maybe a good idea and keep it public. Private issues could be discussed by PM with like minded people.[/quote]
Not to worry, I’ll definitely keep it public. Apart from the forums that are necessary to running the website, I don’t like the ideas of private forumsas a matter of principle.

David, excellent work! :notworthy: A little bit more effort and you’ve got yourself a forum… :wink:

Here’s a few more I found

daycare - [Daycare

Calling all dads: what gender are your offspring? - [Calling all dads: what gender are your offspring?

What is there for my child to do??? - [What is there for my child to do?

mixed race kids - [Mixed race kids

Good kindergartens - parents and teachers - [Good kindergartens - parents and teachers

Lost Child at Tom Dragon - [Lost Child at Tom Dragon

Would or do you send your kids to Taiwanese school? - [Would or do you send your kids to Taiwanese school?

One more. :slight_smile:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 180#357180

Can Foreign Children Legally Attend Public School Here? - [Can foreign children legally attend public school here?

Ah … I’ve found the magic search term … it’s not ‘parent’ ‘kid’ ‘baby’ ‘child’ or anything like that. It’s ‘braxtonhicks’ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Pregnant and X-ray [Pregnant and X-ray
Dummies, Babies, and Children… [Dummies, Babies, and Children
Playgroups [Playgroups
Hiring a nanny [Hiring a nanny
Joyedza (Zuo yue zi) [Joyedza (Zuo yue zi)
Re: Hiring a nanny cont. [Hiring a nanny
Why do Taiwanese have flat heads? [Why do Taiwanese have flat heads?
Baby Sex Charts [Baby Sex Charts
Montessori alternative to Taiwan public schools [Montessori alternative to Taiwan public schools
Who is raising your child? [Who is raising your child?
Are there Baby supply shops round Shi-Da area?Playpen [Are there Baby supply shops round Shida area?Playpen
WANTED: Toddler squeaky shoes [WANTED: Toddler squeaky shoes
Baby seats [Baby seats
American School Spring Fair forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=318969
Alternative Schools in Taipei [Alternative Schools in Taipei
Two boys born today. [Two boys born today

That’s 43 threads by my count.

And this is how new forums are born! You can tell your grandkids you were here when it all happened… :slight_smile:

I’ll try to put things together in the next day or so… :sunglasses:

Thanks for the help, guys! :notworthy: :bravo: :rainbow:

[quote=“michaelw”]I’m sorry but this thinking seem a bit circular. It assumes people will talk about a topic before there is a topic to talk about! This may work for a few related threads were a particular theme keeps cropping up but for more genuinely new ideas it is simply the kiss of death.

What’s so bad about starting a new thread and killing it off if it doesn’t take off?

Michael[/quote]

Seems to me that a lot of people talked about this topic even without a dedicated forum. So now it warrants its own forum.

If you have a genuinely new idea then discuss it in the open forum. If the topic keeps cropping up then it too may find itself in a specially-built cage.

Doesn’t seem very circular to me.

What about a writers corner?

I am unanimous in my support for a cooking/food forum. :beer:

Cooking/food/drinks sounds nice.
Religion, to split such discussions off from the open forum and politics? That’s one of the few topics I couldn’t figure out where to put.

Just a thought.

I joined www.jref.com a Japanese expat site. They have an introduction forum. I got the following replies. Perhaps an introduction forum would help. It did make me feel better about venturing in there after I saw the nice replies today.

:slight_smile: Replies below:

Welcome aboard, Ironman. It's great to have you with us, and hope you enjoy the interaction here. 

Welcome to JREF, ironman!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have fun here and enjoy your stay darling. 

I’d suggest renaming the tech forum “Science & Technology” (a very natural combo if you ask me).

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 538#424538](The Mars Thread

I’d prefer just SCIENCE myself. You tech guys are geeks. :smiling_imp:

Just came across these two links, maybe worth checking out:

trading favors/services: favorville.com/

video blogging: youtube.com/

Skin care? A forum for vanity issues like skin and hair care since so many of us have whole new issues with it when we get here.