Wealthy Russians freeze their brains

When I saw this headline, I had to view the video

online.wsj.com/video/wealthy-fre … carousel_2

Too strange.

Of course it reminded me of the old Steve Martin film.

except that this is for real.

So, if you were filthy rich, would you pay to have your brain frozen when you kick the bucket, so you can live for a million or a billion years, eventually to be placed in a robotic body or a cloned body or something?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
So, if you were filthy rich, would you pay to have your brain frozen when you kick the bucket, so you can live for a million or a billion years, eventually to be placed in a robotic body or a cloned body or something?[/quote]
Why not? You can’t take it with you, but it could waiting for you when they revive you…

And maybe I could have Penelope Cruz to keep me company while I snooze. :lick:

Once you’ve got no body, you’ve got no control over what happens to your brain. They’d probably stick you next to Tom Cruise instead. . . for eternity.

The consequences of this have all been well and truly analysed before. Just watch Futurama.

The poorer Russians just try to pickle their brains with vodka.

Oh dear. :astonished: Imagine having to listen to his batshit crazy ranting for all eternity and be unable to escape or shut him up…

I think I’ll take the vodka option instead.

…and the poor ones just freeze their asses.

Should I freeze my brain?

I can’t see it making much difference from now.

Slurpees!!! Cola Slurpees!

Using a big straw, suck too fast too hard and enjoy the summer brain freeze.

Words for one’s partner to live by.

Words for one’s partner to live by.[/quote]

I was thinking of you, darling…

Honest!

Words for one’s partner to live by.[/quote]

FNARR! FNARR!

I remember the catholic church were funding research into whole body transplants. The experiments they funded included the exchanging the heads of two live chimps onto the other’s body at lightning speed. Then they tried to keep them alive and had limited success although more that what one may imagine. I saw the film at uni about ten years ago. Animal rights activists tried to shoot the scientist running the program in Italy. I cant’ remember much more about it you may be able to google it but it was a bit hush hush at the time. The idea was that a paralized person could get a whole new body or something along those lines.

BTW that is not a protestant swipe at the Catholic church just kind of surprised that they were funding it. Perhaps the Russians can freeze their entire heads instead of just the brain that way when they look in the mirror they won’t see someone else looking back :smiley:

They will someday be able to save brain farts.

That is old technology, it’s called the internet. A giant brain fart for mankind.

greedy people. @@ maybe after a hundred years people wont even care about these brains and will just use it as test subjects.

Got money to burn and a brain to freeze?

alcor.org

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Got money to burn and a brain to freeze?

alcor.org[/quote]

Interesting how they feel death of self identity is true death. Creepy but interesting. Perhaps one day we will be able to store all our memories onto a computer chip and then just plant that chip into a new body

Maybe but maybe not. Why greedy? They want to have eternal or prolonged life is that bad?

We are only just getting towards technology that can freeze a human organ for transplant, let alone brains or whole bodies. The blood vessels form ice crystals and go pop.