Wear a helmet on your bicycle!

All this talk about wearing a helmet while riding your motorbike…

Personally I think anyone who doesn’t wear a helmet while riding a bicycle is also dicing with death. Of course it’s personal choice, but given how blue truck drivers drive here, maybe a quick look at this story from the States might make you think twice about cycling in traffic here without a bicycle helmet:

madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=133934

maybe not a bad idea to wear a helmet while walking on the street in Taiwan either??

Actually,my friend’s father wear a helmet while driving his car.

Riding a motobike or bike I think it is better to wear helmet,since the traffic is messy here.

Well, if by “street” you mean “street”, then, you know…

Helmets only? what about gloves, shoulder pads, ellbow protection, knee gear … high impact face masks

I really don’t get your point, BP.

My point, you’re in Taiwan … on a bike … think man, think …

I’m thinking that it’s a good idea to wear a helmet. Obviously wearing too much stuff is impractical, but wearing a helmet is not, and could easily save your life. Wearing that other stuff is unlikely to save your life.

I’ve fallen off a bike onto my head often enough that sparrows make good eating if you can remember to close off the ballcock before inserting tab A into slot B. So, yes.

A news story said that Taipei City Government is planing to enforce a regulation to ask all cyclists to wear helmets on the road.

It said the regulation would come into effect near the end of year.

They’re going to enforce a regulation to ask? So if someone doesn’t ask, they’re going to be in big trouble, right? Anyway, I imagine they’ll require cyclists to wear helmets, and not just ask them. But it won’t work. The cops will balk at giving a ticket to a 70 year old ojisan peddling his iron horse down the street. And then the whole thing will fall to pieces. Or they’ll just enforce the law within a few select areas of Taipei, and the rest of the country will do what they want anyway…

Exactly. Riding a bike into oncoming traffic is also to be made illegal, as well as riding in outside traffic lanes adn something to do with making left turns, too. Just more political bullshitting.

more practical to require taillights that are turned on at night and reinforce that.

Heck, why not build bicycle lanes while they’re at it. Haha.

They’re going to enforce a regulation to ask? So if someone doesn’t ask, they’re going to be in big trouble, right? Anyway, I imagine they’ll require cyclists to wear helmets, and not just ask them. But it won’t work. The cops will balk at giving a ticket to a 70 year old ojisan peddling his iron horse down the street. And then the whole thing will fall to pieces. Or they’ll just enforce the law within a few select areas of Taipei, and the rest of the country will do what they want anyway…[/quote]

Yes! Require, not Ask. Thank you for pointing out my wrong word usage. :slight_smile:

The law is only Taipei City’s proposal so far.
The news was reported, many bike clubs protested it at once. They demanded for good environment for bikers.

They’re going to enforce a regulation to ask? So if someone doesn’t ask, they’re going to be in big trouble, right? Anyway, I imagine they’ll require cyclists to wear helmets, and not just ask them. But it won’t work. The cops will balk at giving a ticket to a 70 year old ojisan peddling his iron horse down the street. And then the whole thing will fall to pieces. Or they’ll just enforce the law within a few select areas of Taipei, and the rest of the country will do what they want anyway…[/quote]

Yes! Require, not Ask. Thank you for pointing out my wrong word usage. :slight_smile:

The law is only Taipei City’s proposal so far.
The news was reported, many bike clubs protested it at once. They demanded for good environment for bikers.[/quote]

Do you have any links about this, kate.lin? My wife thought this law was coming into effect this month.

Here it is:
http://news.yam.com/ettoday/life/200705/20070502225522.html

I saw am English story about it last night, too. Needless to say, I’m not clever enough to link to it, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

[quote=“kate.lin”]Here it is:
http://news.yam.com/ettoday/life/200705/20070502225522.html[/quote]

Thanks.
I don’t suppose you fancy translating that? :wink:

EDIT: Don’t worry, Babelfish to the rescue!

I like being called a “bicycle knight”.

Bohollox. Sorry.

Perhaps you were referring to this?

Any takers?