Wedding / Engagement / Diamond Rings

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I’m with Iris and TM. . . and fortunately so is my wife. I can’t believe how many of you recited the industry line about spending 3 months wages on a diamond. Fer crisakes, what would you expect the industry to say? Don’t you realize that’s just a marketing schpiel? Nowhere is it written in nature (or in the Bible) that thou shalt spend 3 months pay on a stone. Moreover, it’s a euphemism to refer to something smaller than your fingernail as a “rock” – in truth its a pebble and paying 3 months salary for it is a rip-off. And definitely do not believe any salesperson who refers to it as an “investment.” That is complete BS – it’s an extravagant luxury item.

If a diamond really is important to her, then the number one factor is carat. None of those other c’s matter. The ladies in her office won’t notice the color or the cut, but as namahottie will tell you, size does matter.

But if the stone really isn’t important to her, don’t waste too much money on it. My wife told me not to spend too much becasue it didn’t matter to her and she was being honest about that. Nonetheless, I bought rings for the two of us and, like TM’s situation, neither of us wears them. We’re just not ring-wearing people (except in the nose). But what difference does it make. If you love each other and treat each other properly, with honesty and respect, that’s what’s really important. On the other hand, if she’s fixated on a ring, get the biggest stone you can find within your budget.

Yes, that is true, but it was only so expensive because Charlotte’s fiance was impotent! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I guess it’s also the fact that he could afford it.

Yes, that is true, but it was only so expensive because Charlotte’s fiance was impotent! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I guess it’s also the fact that he could afford it.[/quote]

Well, with no sex drive, I guess he could put his energy into making money…but he was from old money anyway.

[quote]“Sex in the City” has helped boost De Beers diamond sales and prices.

A shrewd marketing campaign is aimed at encouraging independent career women and the man hunter type characters of the TV series to wear diamond rings on their right hands. . .[/quote]
marketpredict.net/resourcestocks.htm

[quote]Diamond Trading Company is the marketing branch of DeBeers, the largest supplier of diamonds in the world. In September 2003, DTC launched a new campaign aimed at successful, single women with the phrase

heh

My favorite line:

[quote]"The DPS say the ring is supposed to express one

Quite true. We bought my wife’s ring from a family friend who’s in the diamond trade and customized jewelry business. He sold it to us at cost, which was about 70% of retail. I’ve noticed that the same grade diamond is pretty much the same price everywhere in the world. Anyway, the diamond trader friend told us that once you walk out the door with the diamond, you would be lucky to get 15% of its new retail value on the 2nd hand market. That’s if it is properly certified. It’s not an investment at all. The only way it could possibly be considered as one is if you kept it for your grandson to give to his fiance, but even then you’d still be better off taking your two months pay and putting it in US T-bills.

Wow, very interesting to hear to polar views. When I read the “2 month” rule, I said to myself :noway:. That’s not what our relationship is about…(the industry, as far as I’m concerned, can go hang :raspberry: )

I’ve been doing some scouting about. It appears that everything I’ve seen in the shops, above 40K is just too gawdy (sp?). It just doesn’t suit her personality. Simplicity is the key word here.

So decision time:

Set a buget, buy a rock (pebble) and propose or…

Have dinner, propose, go shopping together…

or ask her if she even wants a diamond…mmmm…I honestly don’t know, it’s me that wants to buy one for her.

Having read all your opinions; and looked at our relationship, I think the second is more suitable. We are both in our 30’s. I’m a bit scared about the latter two because they just doesn’t seem to be very romantic…or indeed what the industry tells you to do :wink:

How did you pop the question?

L :smiley:

Do NOT ask after sex!

especially if it was with the lady herself.

Engagement rings are so old fashioned.

Girlfriend and I got matching nipple rings instead.
Harder to lose
More intimate
And cheaper than 2 months salary

Actually she has a diamond too, to show the grandparents, which she picked herself given a free choice of any ring at any price. It cost much less than even 1 months salary, which follows the other comments in thread, that appearance and suitability in the eyes of the wearer are more important than price.

I think he proposed on MSN. Something like: “Why don’t we get married the next time we happen to see each other?” It was completely unexpected and pretty romantic because it was HIS suggestion to get married here in Taiwan to make my time in Taipei more special for BOTH of us.

:serenade:

[quote=“Rik”]Engagement rings are so old fashioned.

Girlfriend and I got matching nipple rings instead.
Harder to lose
More intimate
And cheaper than 2 months salary

Actually she has a diamond too, to show the grandparents, which she picked herself given a free choice of any ring at any price. It cost much less than even 1 months salary, which follows the other comments in thread, that appearance and suitability in the eyes of the wearer are more important than price.[/quote]

I’m sure the grandkids will love hearing that story again and again. :slight_smile:

you know, i gave her my plain silver ring the night i asked her to marry me, and gave her the diamond at the actual wedding reception … she had no idea that i had bought one, although we had gone out looking a few months before. i knew what styles she liked, and took one of her old rings for size.

the look on her face was really worth it.

Can anybody recommend a custon design jeweler to design a band for us? My husband bought a diamond but wants a custom designed band.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Yeah-hay!!!
Eh, anyfing fer a good laugh!!!
OK, well … :smiley: :smiley:
If you go for diamonds, go for the De Beers option, the “non-blood-diamond” ENGRAVED and certified one. De Beers can’t lose, and you’re better off than with that laser-enhanced Russian crap.
That way, one day, you’ll get good money when you need to flog it again, for whatever reason. Trust me.
May all the gods be with you, in any case :bravo: :bravo:

I can design rings. Hmmm, how about round, yellow, and shiny?

Or you want some of that squiggly spaghetti stuff?

I find other peoples rings interesting…

Lording the rings, then? :smiley:

considering ppl say after U buy a diamond it depreciates like mad, I know in Toronto there’s a jewelry company called Spencer’s Diamonds (or Spence’s Diamond?) that advertise that they will buy back your diamond they sold U at the same price U bought it from them at any tyme in da future…

Interesting. Seems like a fairly clever marketing idea. Sets their store apart a little bit, maybe encourages people to splurge for the more expensive stone. Presumably the cost to them is quite low since they know that statistically it will very rarely happen (people will lose the receipt, move to another city etc. – same logic as offering rebates). Obviously if they pay you the exact same price (i.e. (1) not adjusted for inflation, and (2) not paying interest over the years) then they are can keep costs down a bit by paying you less than the interest+inflation adjusted price. Not bad…