Wedding/engagement/etc. rings

K.UNO is great, but expensive. I got my wedding rings custom made from their Japan store before they opened in Taiwan.

I can make wooden ring thoughā€¦ I mean itā€™s not hard. It would be a lot cheaper than any gold ring out there anyways.

The whole idea with wedding rings is started by the diamond cartel so they can artificially drive up the cost of gem grade diamond. They arenā€™t actually that rare.

2 Likes

For what its worth. Gold is way easier than wood to make a ring that is ~durable~. Ideally a wood ring is just inlayed on metal. Wood rings break REALLY easy. And cant be melted back into place. Meaning. Cheaper material costs, but WAY higher labor costs to get it perfect and stong. A wood ring.shouldnt exist without metal unless it is a cheap breakable product. For a wedding ring, one expects at least a few generations worth of use.

Probably copper, titanium etc rings are better if one likes shiny metal and long lasting without a (over the top) gouge.

I can certainly machine titaniumā€¦

1 Like

Costco website

Are you offering?

Thank you. There website doesnā€™t have prices. Would you mind tell me around how much you paid for yours?

I paid 30k for a platinum engagement ring with a small diamond.

I then paid 30k for two platinum wedding rings.

I can but I havenā€™t really gotten a price worked out yet. I have no idea how much titanium rings are supposed to retail for, then I need a couple of weeks to get some because I gotta get them from China. I have no idea who in Taiwan sells titanium.

To be fair, there is a huge variable in both metals and rocks, plus markups. I paid $3,590nt for my ring. Hers was much more. Mine was 14k white gold with a small ā€œdiamondā€. Hers was ā€œnot enoughā€ but well over 20x the price of mine lol.

If i were ever to redo things, I would probably ask someone like @Taiwan_Luthiers to make something durable and sentimental to be honest. Spend the money on OCD level labor for perfection rather than the usual.

God dammit. Nevermind.

Curious where you guys found rings of different materials. When I looked I could only find gold and silver.

1 Like

Taiwan jewelry retailers tend to just have silver, gold (all colors and purity) and platinum. I think thats probably true still today. Other materials contact dudes/dudettes that are crafty. I probably wouldnt trust a wood worker to do diamonds to he fair. But for bands without gems, i would absolutely be hitting them up.

Excuses these random videos of topics i used to be very addicted to haha

Pardon the cheesy youtubers. But these kind of rings i find far more interesting than paying a store supporting criminals haha. Maybe @Taiwan_Luthiers can do some of these with his new lathe and skill sets? Just dont make CCP coin rings please :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way most titanium came from Russia, in fact the SR71 was made from titanium from the soviet unionā€¦

So if you got a problem with that, donā€™t use titanium at all.

Luckily there are loads of other metals around :slight_smile:

I wouldnā€™t mind getting my wedding bands custom made by you.

But again, iā€™m looking for suggestions for trusted jewellers for a ring iā€™m gonna propose with

Well, like I said, there are options everywhere. Every department store in Taiwan sells them. Thereā€™s nothing but expensive jewelry shops around Taipei 101.

But also like I said, bring money, lots of it.

was hoping NOT to break the bank with this ring :ā€™)

Well, you gotta prove to your future wife that you got the means to take care of herā€¦ at least thatā€™s what the salesperson at the mall would say to you.

Buying engagement rings from the department store is a big deal, lots of money. I donā€™t know what the price is, but Iā€™d say start with about 30k and go up from there. If you need it custom made they will know how to arrange that.

Otherwise buy a tungsten, titanium, stainless steel, copper, etc. ring and be done with it. Or just tattoo it on your ring finger (some I know have opted for this). Probably hurts but at least itā€™s forever.

Or go to a pawn shop. They are sure to have gold jewelry, probably cheaper than department storesā€¦

Shop will look something like this:

3 Likes

Osmium, or perhaps iridium, if you want the symbol of your love to last until the stars falk from the heavensā€¦

:wink:

As for titanium, some ring materials arenā€™t as popular because they canā€™t be removed quickly during an emergency. You can get certain carbides in ring form, because they fail under tension

2 Likes