Wedding/engagement/etc. rings

De Boers did a big marketing campaign in the 30s, I think.

Taiwan dollars. But it also depends on the familyā€™s social status. The more ā€œeliteā€, the bigger the red envelop would be expected. I think that kind of tradition is also a benefit because it gives you time to think. If you rush into a marriage it could end up being a mistake.

I know you meant NTD :sob:

Her family is actually quite wealthy so I guess Iā€™m fucked. Weā€™ve been together 3.5 years together now so I want to get married, but thereā€™s no way I can save that much money anytime soon. At least not do that and also buy a ring and pay for a honeymoon/wedding.

I donā€™t know what to do now.

Have you two ever talked about money? What are her expectations? Does she know your net worth? Or does she assume you have the kind of money that will allow her to at least maintain her current lifestyle?

1 Like

She knows my net worth. But thereā€™s still tradition youā€™re right. I just will have to be firm and say if she wants this sheā€™s going to need to wait until I can save up enough

Edit: sheā€™s a pretty understanding woman. Itā€™s not like she is asking for money all the time. Sheā€™s even helped me out in the past when I was really really broke (finished school right when COVID struck and was not eligible for unemployment. But she stuck with me and eventually I got a job and things equalled out)

1 Like

If she is understanding then have her talk with the familyā€¦ that you really donā€™t have the massive amount of money that is required to follow tradition. This tradition is one major reason why so many Taiwanese wonā€™t marry. Not many Taiwanese have 300k lying around.

If the family wonā€™t budge then your fiancee needs to have the guts to stand her ground.

This kind of thing makes or breaks marriage by the way. A lot of marriage fail in Taiwan because in laws wonā€™t budge and the spouse lacks to gut to stand up to them. Especially between expat and Taiwanese.

1 Like

LoL be ready to buy a house and car too

Iā€™m only making less than 80,000 Ntd a month :joy:

Thank you, @keoni and @Taiwan_Luthiers! Now we are considering platinum and titanium too, so we have more options to choose from. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Before I just assumed it would have to be steel or wood.
Or maybe an Oura ring :robot::

1 Like

The oura ring looks pretty cool as an accessory. But as a piece of jewelry that is symbolic of your marriage, I wouldnā€™t choose a piece of tech that will become obsolete in a few years. Thatā€™s just how I feel about it.

950 platinum may hold value more like 24k gold. Thatā€™s what I would personally go for. Plus itā€™s pretty scratch resistant and does not tarnish in general.

grade 4 titanium is a pretty worthless metal that will not hold value except for sentimental value.

1 troy pound of titanium is about USD 45
1 troy pound of platinum is about USD 11,500
1 troy pound of gold is about USD 23,500

1 Like

Just make sure the ring is actually priced at spot gold/platinum price plus a little more for work that went into it. However most jewelry shop charge MUCH more, especially things like diamonds are artificially inflated in price.

Remember the value of your ring is actually scrap gold/platinum value which is much lower than its spot price.

1 Like

scrap value of 1 troy pound of 24k gold is about USD 20,442.45 today

1t lb= 373.2417g
scrap value of 24k gold is about USD 54.77 per gram today

Basic titanium rings are dirt cheap. There would be no point doing it unless youā€™re pretty artsy and can make a good looking piece of jewelry / art beyond a simple band.

1 Like

You are right. If the Oura ring stops working, it will just become ā€œsymbolic garbageā€.
We donā€™t care much about the value, my girlfriend and I try to be minimalistic and just want the rings as a symbol. But I will make sure to find something that is scratch resistant. :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Now we just need that one ring to rule them allā€¦

2 Likes

already have it :laughing:

My brother and his wife actually got the text of the one ring engraved on their wedding rings (but on the inside of them).

Just go to a backstreet jewellers, make sure you take your and your partners fingers with you to get the right ring size. Get 18K do not get 24K because within a week the ring will be bent.

I think I paid around NT$ 6,000 for matching wedding rings for me and the Mrs from a jewellers in NanKang. After around 15 yrs took them back to be remade as they had become a bit bashed about and paid around 3k for that.