Wedding photographer recommendations?

Has anyone obtained the services of a wedding photographer and loved the results? Both in terms of the photo quality/creativity and $$ to hire him/her…

What’s the going rate? What’s the typical working day for a wedding photographer?

Where do you live?

We had ours done in Taipei by Sophia on Zhongshan N Road in January. I can highly recommend the place.

We went and met the photographer and told him that we wanted simple, clean lines, no frilly soft focuses, natural lighting etc etc. We had a list of maybe ten imperatives and he match and exceeded every single one.

Every one of the staff from dress hire to makeup to camera assistant were very approachable, when we picked out the dresses I’d just say “No,” and they’d bring the next. Even the taxi driver, who drove us to our locations was jolly and very helpful, carrying a folding changing room in the boot of his car!

Picture quality was superb, at the end we were given a large book of photos, two miniatures a large framed photograph and the originals on CD. Cost including EVERYTHING from make-up, dress rental, photos, processing, jewelry, assistants etc was the best part of $100k NT.

If you like I’ll ask my wife to post a link in Chinese to Sophia, and I maybe able to give you the photographers name.

Very highly recommended.

L.

Oh, our day went from about 8am to 7pm

i’m sorry, i meant a freelance photographer for the day of the banquet. my fiancee already picked out the wedding company to pre-take our wedding photos… from julia wedding company. if it were me, i would not have picked that place - they are more expensive and i didn’t have the heart to tell my fiancee that the selection of dresses did not trump others to justify the difference in cost… from a webcam anyway (she was modeling for me)…

anyway, i digress. we would like a professional photographer to follow us around that day for our ‘ceremony’… what’s the going rate and how long is a typical day for these type of services in taipei?

You could get in touch with Nico at Nico Photography. Here’s his website with samples of his work plus contact info:

nicophotography.blogspot.com/

Yeah I recommend Nico, he did our wedding photos. Much better than stuff I’ve seen from local photographers, he likes working in real b&W (not photoshopped) so you get a better feel. He also likes to shoot unposed photos so you get a sense of whats going on rather than every idiot making “bunny fingers” every time the camera is pointed at them. All in all a really good photographer.

Good luck on the day

[quote=“StuartCa”]Yeah I recommend Nico, he did our wedding photos. Much better than stuff I’ve seen from local photographers, he likes working in real b&W (not photoshopped) so you get a better feel. He also likes to shoot unposed photos so you get a sense of whats going on rather than every idiot making “bunny fingers” every time the camera is pointed at them. All in all a really good photographer.

Good luck on the day[/quote]

Thanks to 500CB and Stu for the recommendations. What’s the going rate? You guys tip them or …? How about do you guys provide a seat at the banquet for the photographer too (you know feed him)? I ask that because then wouldn’t the photographer be busily chowing down the expensive dinner instead of doing his job? What’s the protocol here? I would imagine buying him dinner before the banquet? How about makeup artist? My fiancee is getting one to follow us all day too. Yeesh. Man, I’m going to be broke after the wedding. Then we’d really be feeling the world wide economic melt down.

Sorry, I don’t know what he charges - he’s a former classmate of mine, and I’ve never used his services, but I like the photos he’s taken, and I’ve read some good feedback about him, so I feel comfortable recommending him.