Wego Elementary (薇閣小學) - tossing up, any info?

You’re right, that was unnecessarily coldy phrased of me. Sorry about that. What I meant was that I don’t buy into claims that it’s overwork under those conditions.

Actually I work at a very famous private school, 8:20-4:20 M-F, and there’s plenty of time during the prep hours and on the weekends to deal with grading, lesson planning (which I assume you meant when you said “curriculum to write” which is a totally different thing altogether), and those other things, and communication with parents as a foreigner, no matter where you are in Taiwan, is sparse and usually done via communication book due to the language barrier. And this never was about “who works the hardest”. The point is that the job has excellent hours and benefits compared to a “sticky-ball chucking school” sort of job. Sorry you missed the point, and once again, sorry for wording my previous comment in such an insensitive way. No doubt, anyone who has a stroke has the right to bitch about it, but don’t shove blame in the face of what’s actually a pretty solid job, all things considered. If the gentleman wants to step up and prove me wrong, tell me how severely bad a job it is, then he’s more than welcome to. The fact of the matter is that I have heard of people that were quite happy at Wego, and was even referred there for an interview recently (but I ended up getting my current job first). If the gentleman with the stroke wants to step in and say exactly why the school is so terrible other than they’re trying to distance themselves from it, I’m all ears.

Why do so many people have something to say?..but none of them are the person who is actually affected…who is me… Sorry, Dashgalaxy 86, but you need to look at the thread more closely…I never said the school was terrible…I said it was hard work…and that is the nature of all elementary and high school jobs… I joined the thread when people told me that there was a forum thread that was talking about my health issue, and I think I have the right to be a little upset when people are talking about me. Look at my posts…I am obviously unhappy for many reasons- the stroke, my school’s indifference to my pain and suffering, complete strangers talking about me…Also, there seems to be many others that seem to disagree with the people “you heard of” that were quite happy with Wego…and I think it’s alright for people to disagree. By the way, I am happy that you have your famous private school job…Yet, your experience has little relevance to my experience, or other people’s experiences in any school here in Taiwan. This is one of Taiwan’s biggest problems ---- a lack centralized control over education…the Ministry of Education seems to have little authority over schools. Many schools pretty much implement whatever they want. And this doesn’t even address the capabilities of the school’s administrators. Hence, there is a tremendous range of differences in what schools offer kids in both private and public settings in terms of textbooks, curriculum, and both language and extra-curricular programs…Obviously, this will impact the variety of experiences that teachers will encounter when they come to this country. Also, you don’t need to apologize for your “insensitive way” I didn’t take offense and merely pointed out your ignorance. Maybe, as a teacher, you need to reflect a little more about what you are trying to express because I have no clue what the last line means: “…wants to step in and say exactly why the school is so terrible other than they’re trying to distance themselves from it…"??? Really…I have no idea. Again, however, I must reiterate what I have already said…read the thread. As for me wanting to “step up,” what do you want? … my medical report confirming my stroke … Better yet, I will tell you my story of what happened to me when I asked for my punch-in records at work…but it’s late and I need to rest now… maybe tomorrow… Ultimately, I feel you “missed the point” and became lost in the many voices we have heard on this forum…

Mike, could you tell us more about the school’s “indifference to your pain and suffering”? It could help us understand the school better. Thanks!

[quote=“kaipakati”]Hi,
Does anyone here have any first hand or hearsay knowledge of what Wego Elementary School is like as an employer?

I’m working in a pretty good cram school, which DOES appreciate me, - that is, they say thank you and please and sorry as appropriate, and give the odd bonus for extra duties - and I have a good number of hours a week, in nice blocks, with weekends and Fridays completely free. They value my input, and listen to my ideas, and generally give me what I ask for in terms of classroom management and curriculum planning. Sometimes they make noises about taking me on in a more management type role… but even if that transpires, I think I’d be a naive idiot to take it up. My job is nice because I don’t have to deal with much of the inevitable politics.

The downside is that, of course, I do far more hours in planning and meetings than I ever get paid for, growing all the time it seems. I’m only allowed to take one week’s (unpaid) holiday in a year, just after New Year when plane tickets are too expensive to go anywhere anyway, and there is no job security. Sick, on holiday, downturn in students… I’m back on my own.

I’m also getting to be “of an age” where it’s not going to be so easy to pick up new teaching jobs. I’m forty-five this year :noway: . I can still turn on the energy and enthusiasm at the moment. However, there is a perception among hirers that older teachers aren’t going to provide the right “fun” image for young learners. And also… hate to say this… but I really don’t think I do want to be leaping and clowning and singing around like a stage performer till I drop anway. :s

I’m a going to be a lifer here, so I’m trying to figure out a long term plan.

It seems like I may have an opportunity for a full time job with Wego in their kindergarten department. If I made the change, it would be in the hopes of getting better holidays, pay generous enough to afford them, and a pleasant and more stable place to work.

I may be tossing up between the not so awful devil that I know, and the possible devil I don’t.
Any thoughts?
Specifically, I’d love to hear any info on conditions at Wego - holidays, pay, happy quotient.

Thanks![/quote]
I am close to your age and am coming across the same dilema that you have. Places I have talked to tell me that they are worried that I won’t be able to keep up with the young kids at my age. They tell me that my demo is good. They just worry that I can’t keep it up no matter how much I show them I can. If I show them a lot of energy in my demo, shouldn’t they judge me on that rather than my age? Since they saw no evidence of rustiness in my demo, shouldn’t they assume that I can keep up with them?
There is also a Wego English School in Taichung county. Is there any connection here?
What does Wego mean anyway :ponder: ?

Yeah I was thinking about the same thing. It’s hard to get any picture of what it’s like at the school from what has been posted so far.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“kaipakati”]Hi,
Does anyone here have any first hand or hearsay knowledge of what Wego Elementary School is like as an employer?

I’m working in a pretty good cram school, which DOES appreciate me, - that is, they say thank you and please and sorry as appropriate, and give the odd bonus for extra duties - and I have a good number of hours a week, in nice blocks, with weekends and Fridays completely free. They value my input, and listen to my ideas, and generally give me what I ask for in terms of classroom management and curriculum planning. Sometimes they make noises about taking me on in a more management type role… but even if that transpires, I think I’d be a naive idiot to take it up. My job is nice because I don’t have to deal with much of the inevitable politics.

The downside is that, of course, I do far more hours in planning and meetings than I ever get paid for, growing all the time it seems. I’m only allowed to take one week’s (unpaid) holiday in a year, just after New Year when plane tickets are too expensive to go anywhere anyway, and there is no job security. Sick, on holiday, downturn in students… I’m back on my own.

I’m also getting to be “of an age” where it’s not going to be so easy to pick up new teaching jobs. I’m forty-five this year :noway: . I can still turn on the energy and enthusiasm at the moment. However, there is a perception among hirers that older teachers aren’t going to provide the right “fun” image for young learners. And also… hate to say this… but I really don’t think I do want to be leaping and clowning and singing around like a stage performer till I drop anway. :s

It seems like I may have an opportunity for a full time job with Wego in their kindergarten department. If I made the change, it would be in the hopes of getting better holidays, pay generous enough to afford them, and a pleasant and more stable place to work.

I may be tossing up between the not so awful devil that I know, and the possible devil I don’t.
Any thoughts?
Specifically, I’d love to hear any info on conditions at Wego - holidays, pay, happy quotient.

Thanks![/quote]
I am close to your age and am coming across the same dilema that you have. Places I have talked to tell me that they are worried that I won’t be able to keep up with the young kids at my age. They tell me that my demo is good. They just worry that I can’t keep it up no matter how much I show them I can. If I show them a lot of energy in my demo, shouldn’t they judge me on that rather than my age? Since they saw no evidence of rustiness in my demo, shouldn’t they assume that I can keep up with them?
There is also a Wego English School in Taichung county. Is there any connection here?
What does Wego mean anyway :ponder: ?[/quote]
Wego is also the name of a famous Love Hotel near Miramar. It’s very controversial because it advertises to men who are cheating on their wives in its commercials and ads. I’m not sure where the word actually comes from, however, and why it is shared with several schools throughout Taiwan.

Could you please tell the people who are applying to Wego what the school is actually like, though?

Could you please tell the people who are applying to Wego what the school is actually like, though?[/quote]

I don’t know Wego but after 14 years teaching here and reading this thread let me guess.

Mostly young and dynamic employees with a we are all friends attitude. All on a one years contract only. No open ending contracts.
An underlying constant pressure towards the elderly workers.
The paid holidays during/after or around the time of renewing the contract.
Not a nice holiday if you don’t know what it’s going to be after.
At my current job they renewed my contract one month after summer vacation and I am still pissed. Not wego!

What’s it like replacing the once who either dropped dead, sick or out, I don’t know. I always refused to take the hours from teachers who were disposed.
I saw my colleges scavenging the black guy’s hours who wasn’t needed anymore. Maybe they can tell you what it’s like.

[quote=“kaipakati”]Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks![/quote]

Well, honestly the Devil you don’t know and the devil you do are both DEVILS.
We have an old joke in the United States: “How is a boss like a diaper? They are both full of shit and constantly on your ass.”

We get holidays which are frequently accompanied by specialty foods and red envelopes. Monday is the Dragon Boat Festival, the school gave everyone gourmet Rice Dumpling (Zongzi) and cash in a red envelope. The philosophy is that we are all family, each and every employee and student is a member of the Wego family. I too have always worked for very famous schools here in Taiwan . I moved from Hsinchu to Taipei for family reasons last year and have just about completed my one year contract with Wego. Do we work hard? Yes, every moment you are at work you are are working, no one ever misses any time at work ever; except for major medical, financial or legal necessities approved weeks in advance. Some jobs are like teaching jobs with an office or administrative component. What I have directly experienced is an office job with a teaching component.

I have known a lot of very good people at Wego. Just the other day, Thursday, the calligraphy teacher was telling me how happy she is with her job and how happy she was to be a member of the Wego family. I have fond memories of last summer’s new teacher orientation where we did such things as a candle ceremony to welcome us into the Wego family, I met a lot of great friends. You mention age kaipakati, we have staff in their 60’s and 70’s who are respected and appreciated members of the Wego family. I hope I have answered the original question this thread was established to ask.

Lastly, Teacher Mike has been a hard working major contributor to our department for the last four years and remains a model employee, as far as I know. So please, stop putting words in his mouth and attempting to goad/gōd/ him. I have worked with him directly many times, he always gives 100% to everything he does. Parents and students alike respect him and trust him implicitly. As for his stroke, that is not the topic of this thread nor is it my place to comment.

There have been many questions posed to me. Some I can answer and some I cannot because of the non-disclosure terms of my contract. I intend to keep my professionalism and word intact. As for pain and suffering…my left side is a little messed up…diminished strength and coordination…trying to negotiate stairs has posed problems at times. I cannot use words to really describe how it all feels. Obviously, there is pain sometimes and fatigue most of the time…Yet, I am still stacking chairs and trying to do the duties that many of us are asked to do during graduation ceremonies…Yet, the next day, I am paying the price…The doctor recently told us that it would take 6 months to 1 year to make a full recovery. He’s optimistic, but honestly, I am frustrated with the lack of recent progress. I guess I am more used to sports injuries. I will try think of how best I can answer some of the other questions that have been posed. I must apologize if my responses are late at times, but we had a medical emergency last month and we are trying to deal with the challenges posed when someone in the family has been lying in a bed in a comatose state for over thirty days…

Cheers Mike. Take care!

Sorry Mike! I didn’t know that. Now I feel worse because I was trying to help with your situation. I didn’t know that this forum could have trolls that can pop-in and then run away when you ask tough questions. Also, I didn’t know that schools here can have non-disclosure terms. Is it really that common? And what is a school trying to protect? Is your school going to do anything for you? I guess you should take care of yourself and your family, and try not to get too stressed out. That’s some real bad luck you’re having. I hope it turns around soon.

Take it easy, man, hope you start to notice you’re recovering quicker soon.

My guess is that the other people working at the school heard that there was a post on forumosa, and since he’s still working there, they took a look here. Several of the posters look like they work at Wego. And so he probably gets a talking to, and a warning that if anything does happen they’ll take away his pay for the last few months. Now he can’t say anything bad. The only thing that may disprove this theory is that one of the posters who did say something pro-Wegoish had actually posted in another forum about chasing pretty Taiwanese ladies.

Does anyone know if non-disclosure terms are common in school contracts? I’ve never heard of this before, but I am also new to this Taiwan experience.

When you are negotiating a settlement it’s very common for the two parties to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Hamletintaiwan commented on “Does anyone know if non-disclosure terms are common in school contracts? I’ve never heard of this before, but I am also new to this Taiwan experience.” and replied: “When you are negotiating a settlement it’s very common for the two parties to sign a non-disclosure agreement.”

I agree totally. I never signed any “non-disclosure terms” before going to Wego and have not been asked to sign any with my new school. Lin is now in charge of recruitment and I feel she is a very good person. Mike is still here and is surviving.

If you are signing their contract and accepting a year at Wego, accept, you have been warned.

Does anyone have any new information on this school? I interviewed here and the teacher I interviewed with seemed a little crazy. They offered me a position but the hours seem awfully long. Any information from current or old teachers?

If you have doubts about a job, I would think long and hard about it. Maybe you should ask questions. I made the mistake of taking a job that I knew could turn out to suck – not at the school in question. Well, to make a long story short, it sucked.