Wego Elementary (薇閣小學) - tossing up, any info?

alas… I am not alone in thinking Taiwan is miserable… After reading this post I am starting to think that my job is not that bad! LOL… Except for the fact that I’m broke after 8 months of working here. Lets face it what keeps us in Taiwan.? Our karma got us stuck here… haha… After a recent visit to the US I realized how much better the overall quality of life is there … Why am I here? Because of the girlfriend…

Girlfriends are easily replaced.

Some pretty disturbing posts on Wego, but that was a long time ago.
Anyone currently working there that can share some info?

It sounds like a cult.

Weblow

1 Like

Pay/ benefits are good. But some supervisors will yell at you in front of staff if you make mistakes. Not every mistake, but you never know when it’ll happen. Kind of a toxic work environment.

1 Like

Sounds like normal Taiwan workplace. Toxic

1 Like

For what it’s worth, a friend of mine went for an interview there, but this was at the senior school, and thought the senior teacher was basically wasting his time. The said person asked him to do a demo with a bunch of kids in a small classroom using a garbage book. He was disqualified for reasons that remain unknown.

Getting yelled at? Wow! I’ve never experienced that or would tolerate it (which might be why I’ve never experienced it).

3 Likes

I got yelled at my first year of teaching ESL at a cram school when I was 25, but I kind of deserved it. I refused to desk warm and would just leave the building when I wasn’t teaching. So my director yelled at me that he would not renew my contract. I shrugged and said “okay” and haven’t worked at a cram school since. It’s worked out well for me.

2 Likes

Oddly I’m considering getting back into cram school work.

As part time in addition to your uni? There are some good and fun cram schools out there. The bad ones are just more fun to talk about.

I’m trying to figure out semi-retirement. Buxiban may well be a factor.

2 Likes

I was very surprised to see this thread. I have worked in the kindergarten for six years and love it. Great pay even better holidays, but can’t write too much, Wayne’s world 2 is on cinemax…

I’m glad you like the kindergarten but that is a separate school to the elementary school. The kindergarten must have a better work culture. Working at the elementary school, I became physically ill for months. It’s not surprising that a teacher had a stroke while working there. The way my Taiwanese supervisor and some of the staff treated me was awful. Teachers have not finished their contracts because of how they’ve been treated. I’m definitely not saying everyone who works there is bad. Some of the teachers were very helpful. But it takes a long time to change work culture and everything there changes very slowly. Please think carefully before making a decision to work in a place that it is difficult to change your job in. A year contract can be a long time for your health and well-being.

Any more updates on working at Wego Elementary? Has it changed much in the past few years?

I thought English teachers only teach 20 periods per week or is this what they sell you to get you in the door?

1 Like

That didn’t go well for Donald Trump. :rofl:

They will make other names for any teaching over that period of time if you are a full timer.

1 Like

The school actually invited me to return. Apparently , some of the elementary school administrators have been changed and they elevated a former colleague to rebuild the English department. She did a tremendous job at the kindergarten and was well regarded by foreign staff there. I crossed paths with some who worked there and they had nothing but good things to say about her. I am not surprised as I worked with her at Wego elementary and she was a hard worker who was easy to collaborate with. I have spoken with other Taiwanese teachers there and there now seems to be sense of optimism for the future and former teachers have been returning, but then again the teachers were never the problem that’s why I have been able to stay in touch with many of them…at least until Covid disrupted our lives. Pretty happy for them because teachers have enough to deal with without a toxic and unpredictable office. Anyways my update about the school…

3 Likes

Any experience with the high school?