Welcome to the online Beginning Chinese I (Dallas, TX)

Welcome to the online Beginning Chinese I

CHIN 1411 (4 Credit Hours)

Are you:

Wanting to learn Chinese, a language spoken by over 14% of the world?

Working toward a college degree and need foreign language credit?

Seeking professional and personal enrichment?

Seeking Dual Credit opportunities?

Trying to do business with a Chinese partner?

Interested in Chinese and Chinese Culture?

Here is a chance tailored for you. The benefits of this online course:

Provides college credit from Brookhaven College a part of the Dallas County Community College District

Has the same course numbers as courses offered in the regular academic curriculum

Will be taught by a native speaker instructor approved by DCCCD

May be taken for no credit for professional development or personal enrichment

The tuition fee is affordable. If you live in Dallas County, the cost of tuition is $52 per credit hour.

Course information: CHIN 1411 (4 Credit Hours) Beginning Chinese I (This is a Texas Common Course Number. This is a Core Curriculum course selected by the colleges of DCCCD.)

Course Description: This is the first semester of academic transfer Chinese. This course is an introductory course intended for students with little or no knowledge of the language. Its aim is to present essential vocabulary and grammar, and to develop the pronunciation, listening, reading, and writing skills necessary for basic communication and comprehension. Customs and cultural insights are also presented.

This is a 100% online course. Students must have access to a computer, the Internet and email. This course will begin 6/05/13 and end 8/08/13.

Tuition Fee: dcccd.edu/PC/Cost/Tuition/Pages/default.aspx

Admissions Application: www1.dcccd.edu/stuapp/

To find more classes:

Go to econnet: econnect.dcccd.edu/

Future student Menu->Find Credit Classes->TREM: 2013SU - Summer 2013->Course: CHIN – Chinese, Course #: 1411

Realize that the statement about “the teacher will be…” means they don’t HAVE a teacher yet, so they have no idea who it will be or what the qualifications and experience will be.

Doesn’t sound much different than any course offered in Taiwan, except that it’s online.

Or maybe they have several teachers and don’t know exactly which one you will get. Is your business online too ?

Not the same market, but I do some online teaching, yes.

Ironically the Mandarin classes I’m taking at McDonald’s are fantastic, also when my tutor is late I take a nap right there.

In the US, the “game” at colleges these days is the Adjunct Pool. Most lower-level courses are taught by an adjunct instructor, who is not full-time and is paid hourly or, sometimes, per student (mostly for online courses). It is rarely the case that there are several full-time faculty and the school just hasn’t figured out who will teach the course. Most likely they haven’t decided which adjunct will get the course – or they haven’t hired their adjuncts for the summer yet. In any event, the net effect for undergraduate students is that you get a more or less random teacher, often one who is not a full-time or experienced teacher. This is especially true for foreign language courses which are viewed as things that anyone who is a native speaker “can teach”.

I still say that a school advertising a course without stating who the instructor will be indicates that the school doesn’t know. That is the way it works in the US, where this college is. And from the student’s perspective, that MAY be – MAY be – an indicator that careful thought should be done before signing up. You may get a great teacher assigned randomly. But you may not. The odds tend to be stacked toward the latter, given the recruiting process. That’s why people change teachers at the local language centers in Taiwan, and sign up for classes at those language centers that are taught by specific teachers who others have recommended.

[quote=“ironlady”]In the US, the “game” at colleges these days is the Adjunct Pool. Most lower-level courses are taught by an adjunct instructor, who is not full-time and is paid hourly or, sometimes, per student (mostly for online courses). It is rarely the case that there are several full-time faculty and the school just hasn’t figured out who will teach the course. Most likely they haven’t decided which adjunct will get the course – or they haven’t hired their adjuncts for the summer yet. In any event, the net effect for undergraduate students is that you get a more or less random teacher, often one who is not a full-time or experienced teacher. This is especially true for foreign language courses which are viewed as things that anyone who is a native speaker “can teach”.

I still say that a school advertising a course without stating who the instructor will be indicates that the school doesn’t know. That is the way it works in the US, where this college is. And from the student’s perspective, that MAY be – MAY be – an indicator that careful thought should be done before signing up. You may get a great teacher assigned randomly. But you may not. The odds tend to be stacked toward the latter, given the recruiting process. That’s why people change teachers at the local language centers in Taiwan, and sign up for classes at those language centers that are taught by specific teachers who others have recommended.[/quote]

Hi, I do not know all your “information/guess/rumor” comes from.
To have an online course, first I have to build up the whole course before the school puts the registration information out. So everything is ready. You think that it is just some personal chat with your friends.
If somebody just wants to do personal chat, he/she needs not come to my class.
You do your own business, it does not sound friendly to say bad things about other people with all the fake information just to make yourself great.

If anybody who is interested in my class or other classes, you can just follow the direction below, and find out who the techer will be, and the other exact information.
To find more classes:
Go to econnet: econnect.dcccd.edu/
Future student Menu->Find Credit Classes->TREM: 2013SU - Summer 2013->Course: CHIN – Chinese, Course #: 1411

No one is saying anything that is not customary practice in the US. That is how US colleges work, especially for online and continuing education courses.

I am posting this information in my capacity as the moderator of the Learning Chinese forum, pointing out the likely pros and cons of the class. The same thing happens for all classes and teachers who post on this forum, whether the course is in Taiwan or not. Our aim is to give our readers the best and most complete information to weigh their options.

If you want to refute what I’m saying, just say who is teaching the class, the syllabus, and other ordinary information that comes with a college-level course. That’s normal. Of course, people are then free to discuss that. But this is a discussion forum. If you just want paid advertising, we can offer that, too. Let me know if that’s something you might be interested in. We do get a lot of readers who want to learn Chinese, so it might make sense for your program.