Wellman's Tienmu - Closed

The venerable little store that two decades ago when I arrived was about the only place to get imported canned goods and the like is closing its doors. Always a bit overpriced, the larger international supermarkets with similar and more often than not an even better selection of goods, finally forced it to shut down.

They still have a selection of stuff that isn’t sold at most places, except at Willie’s deli, which has similar stuff.

Oh, bummer. When I walked past it the other day they were in the process of pulling out the product and shelves. I was hoping that meant they were remodeling, not closing.

I agree with the previous poster: Both Wellman’s and Willie’s have (or had) very similar inventory, including quite a few things you still can’t find at Carrefour, Jason’s, City’s Super, or anywhere else in Tianmu as far as I know. And actually, on many of the items that Carrefour does carry, Wellman’s had slightly better prices. I wouldn’t have called them overpriced at all for imported western groceries in Taiwan.

Their canned goods were always 10 to 20 NT more than any other store and many times the cans were past their due dates.

Sorry, for reopening 200 day old topic, but…

Great. So, where can I find Phyllo dough now? Wellmans was the only place I could find it. Or, at least the only place I thought to look.

Check any of the baking stores?

I did that. All around me, all they seem to carry is puff pastry. From Hsinchu to Taichung to Taoyuan to Taipei, nothing. Wellmans had 3 boxes one time, I bought them all. My burek cup ranneth over.

I guess it is just not a thing here. I could make it myself, but that is an incredible pain in the guzi.
Hand-rolling dough for burek is an art and dark science, and I have no talent to speak of for that.

Yep, there’s a reason they tell you to go buy it at the store :slight_smile:

I searched but couldn’t find a thread on Willie’s Deli (former G&G). Does anyone know if they’re still around? Couldn’t get answers on their phone line or by Messenger. (Am looking for Brer Rabbit mild flavor molasses and canned cranberry sauce.)

1 Like

They’re still around. Closed today it seems. Carrefour in Tienmu had canned cranberry in stock, just fyi.

3 Likes

Willie’s/G&G is still around, the owner is still awesome, and it’s where I find most of the stuff I used to find at Wellman’s. I don’t even know what phyllo dough is, though.

What’s up with people who spell Tianmu “Tienmu,” by the way?

It’s a long-standing alternate spelling.

Flaky pastry dough, spelled filo as well.

It’s used enough here and in Facebook groups (mostly by people who live in Taiwan but not in Tianmu, it seems) that I thought it was an alternate spelling, but you won’t find it listed on anything official. Even elsewhere online it’s rare enough that when you google it you get, “Do you mean Tianmu?” I’ve lived in Tianmu for a decade, and “Tienmu” has always just looked like an uninformed misspelling to me.

Hope you find your dough, though. I’m surprised the major baking supply stores like the one in Banqiao don’t have it? Maybe they would only have the ingredients to make it from scratch.

Yeah, it’s kind of a holdover from pre-hanyu pinyin days when it had some currency.

Not my dough :slight_smile:

Talk about pre-pinyin days . . .

2 Likes

I know a few foreigners who have lived in Tianmu for like thirty years, and they spell it with an ‘e’ so I presume that is how it used to be back in the day. Some signs near my work still spell it as Tienmu. I’ll try and take some photos tomorrow.

2 Likes

Apparently it was the common spelling up until 20+ years ago, though it was never correct.

At any rate, it’s an understatement to say we’re well past time for it to die, which was my main point. Sorry for the thread hijack.

2 Likes

Good gravedig.