Wendell Minnick vs. J. Michael Cole

New China in Arms post just dropped, and it’s a doozy. Taking direct aim at the oldest deep-green white on the island

Agent Provocateur? - J. Michael Cole

Does the DPP Use Foreigners as Scapegoats for Influence Operations?

By Wendell Minnick (Whiskey Mike) 顏文德

TAIPEI - J. Michael Cole, formerly a desk officer on the Hezbollah for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), and now an “expert” on all-things political in Taiwan has announced on LinkedIn on 29 November that there is a limit to his time via the coming election on the island:

Sorry people, but if you’re among the hundreds of people who will be
“passing through” Taiwan between now and the general elections in
January: No, I do not have time to “have coffee” or “a drink” for “a
chat about Taiwan politics.” If I said yes to every such request, I
wouldn’t have time to do my work…and I couldn’t sleep from all that
caffeine (and I don’t drink anymore, so there goes that “pint or two”).
Also, I really don’t feel like talking shop all the time - life’s too
short. Thank you.

Ross Feingold has heartedly announced his willingness to take up the torch of debate and discussion on all things Taiwan political. He, unlike Cole, will welcome free coffee and booze. Feingold is a lawyer that can read, write, speak, and fart in Chinese, unlike our hero Cole. His Twitter @rossfeingold for contact information (unless you are Hezbollah).

Cole had become disgruntled by CSIS after the CIA requested that a potential Hezbollah terrorist and his family that had migrated to Canada be expelled back to their homeland in Lebanon.

He saw the expulsions of entire families based on the evidence of only one individual in the group as a potential terrorist as inhumane.

With only six months as an active officer in CSIS, he drew upon his courage and wisdom, along with his Taiwanese girlfriend, to resign in protest in 2005.

The plan was to go to Taiwan for a fresh start. A form of self-imposed exile that would help create the archetype of an anti-hero so common in mythology.

The only problem with the plan was Cole’s decision to take his girlfriend on an adventure to Cuba before flying to Taiwan.

In his book, Smokescreen: Canadian Security Intelligence after September 11, 2001 (2008), there is no mention of his Cuba visit, but during a conversation over drinks at Bobwundaye in Taipei, Cole boasted of the trip.

Cole stated that he wanted to give the U.S. the middle finger with a “fuck you” and visit to the beach.

From a counterintelligence perspective, there is one natural question: did Cole visit the Iranian and Syrian Embassies in Havana?

That would amount to a different kind of beach visit.

We become pals after his arrival in Taipei. I introduced him to both U.S. and Taiwan military and intelligence folks. We visited Taiwan military buses and attended exercises:

550x309.375

Above: Hualien Air Base, Clair Chennault Monument.

550x331.52777777777777

Above: At an Armor exercise on Penghu.

It would be fair and transparent for the reader to state that myself and Cole had a following-out over an article written accusing a local Taiwan academic of being a “traitor” for attending in an academic conference on maritime sea law held in China.

This was during the Presidency of Ma Ying-jeou, KMT, and academic exchanges were common, even with China’s military colleges and think tanks.

The final straw came with Cole’s article accusing the academic of being a “traitor”. The problem was I had been his roommate in university and shared the same mentor. I dedicated my first book to our mentor: Spies and Provocateurs: A Worldwide Encyclopedia of Persons Conducting Espionage and Covert Action, 1946-1991 (McFarland).

Maritime Law is not a hotbed of espionage and high-seas piracy. Even having read and on occasion proofread many of his academics papers for 30 years I can honestly say that these were just about as boring as humanely possible.

So when Cole’s article came out, on top of the Cuba revelation, and his participation as an volunteer advisor to students in the Sunflower Student Movement, I enacted my three strikes rule and terminated our friendship.

My baseball-themed Three Strikes Rule is a stop-loss rule that prevents any further waste of my time, money, sanity, etc.

The rule can be tricky. You have to use a ratio between 2.5 and 3 for it to be effective. Stop loss is normally a trade-off. If you set the stop loss level too far, you run the risk of losing a friend if the former friend’s guanxi goes against you later. With friends it is largely subjective, which makes it difficult.

Since I do not write about political issues and focus entirely on military and intelligence subjects, I already live in a dangerous world. But to mix politics and military would be like mixing grapes and grain. My number one rule in life: " Grape or grain, but never the twain ."

The second strike was his tactical advice and support for students of the Sunflower Student Movement that made the one-day January 6 crisis On Washington seem puny in comparison. The Sunflower students occupied the nation’s Legislature (aka Congress) in March 2014 and briefly the Executive Bureau.

As a journalist, the problem with participating in an action rather than covering an action is to know your place. The journalist is the observer that documents an event.

Journalists do not pick up a rifle and start shooting. Or lend comfort and aide to one side or the other in the form of advocacy journalism, particularly providing tactical advice to the Sunflower protestors when your background includes military and intelligence training.

Cole has a master’s degree in War Studies from the Royal Military College of Canada.

That and his two-years of intelligence school prior to CSIS makes him a potential problem, should Cole decide to involve himself in another Sunflower Movement escapade.

Unfortunately, Cole could find himself from agent provocateur to scapegoat if things go sideways.

It would be fair and transparent for the reader to state that myself and Cole had a following-out over an article written accusing a local Taiwan academic of being a “traitor” for attending in an academic conference on maritime sea law held in China

Went into that link of that book.
Couldn’t find that academic “traitor”. Who is/was he? As that was the third strike.

What does this mean?

I see “oldest” and I see two colors with a green and white but what what does this mean?

Anyway is this published somewhere?

Edit: Found it here on substack. What the hell is substack

Agent Provocateur? - J. Michael Cole - by Wendell Minnick

I read this article and remember:

On 20 December 1973, the Wall Street Journal quoted Sayre as: "Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low.

2 Likes

Fart in Chinese???

:rofl:

It seems very personal.

2 Likes

Yeah, the whole thing comes off as a cheesy smear over something personal. Maybe he made a pass at Cole and got rebuffed? Or maybe professional jealousy?

3 Likes

That article reads like a disgruntled drunken person dissing on their boyfriend or girlfriend

2 Likes

From another article

Or just that he called his roomie a traitor :slight_smile:

1 Like

You sound like deluded paranoid stalker dude , get a life !

I don’t welcome stalker types here personally.

@Marco

is this acceptable ?

What’s a “natural question?”

That’s hilarious.

Is that what happens when you run English through Google translate into English?

Guy has never watched Al Jazeera. Or CNN, or MSNBC or FOX or the Beeb.

And whomever wrote this crap could be speared with a lawsuit, all because he hit REPLY.

:popcorn:

“Whiskey Mike” might want to . . . back off the whiskey a bit.

Guy

1 Like

Maybe if the academic and article in question were identified, it might be more understandable. Maybe

Possibly telling us something?

1 Like

Looks like some dull axe to grind . . .

Guy

If anyone of consequence read this site that post could be professional suicide. Whoopsie

And this from a sober fella? :laughing:

1 Like

You could have asked ChatGPT instead:

The term “deep-green white” in Taiwan is an interesting example of synecdoche, where a part of something is used to represent the whole, or vice versa. In this context, the term is a combination of political and cultural identifiers.

1. “Deep-green”: This part of the term refers to a strong affiliation with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in Taiwan. The color green is associated with the DPP, and “deep-green” signifies a deep commitment to the party’s ideals and policies. This often includes strong support for Taiwanese nationalism and independence.
  2. “White”: This refers to the racial or ethnic identity of the person, specifically indicating that the person is a white expatriate. In Taiwan, “white” generally refers to people from Western countries.

When these two terms are combined into “deep-green white,” it signifies a white expatriate who strongly supports the ideals and policies of the DPP in Taiwan. This is a synecdoche as it uses the party’s color (a part) to represent the whole political and ideological stance of an individual, and the term “white” to represent their cultural and ethnic background. This term encapsulates a complex intersection of political affiliation and cultural identity, highlighting how expatriates in Taiwan can be deeply integrated into the local political landscape.

Expats with big media egos fighting is always amsuing.

Like Brian Hioe (proper spelling Ho) vs. Keoni.

That was entertaining too, if not much of a fair fight.