Were foot-pedal brakes a thing on scooters in the past?

So today on the road I spotted a vintage scooter–I’m guessing from the 1960s? Anyway, I noticed what I assumed to be a shift pedal at the driver’s feet. However, when I looked at the handlebars there was no clutch lever. That’s when I noticed there were no hand levers, neither clutch nor brakes. Since I needed to pay attention to the road, I didn’t get a chance to see too much of how she was driving the scooter.

Anyway, I was just curious if that foot pedal was indeed a brake.

Yes, on a Vespa I had dated around 1986. A horrible break. People love Vespa’s now, I couldn’t stand them.

1 Like

Yep, I had one back in the 60’s and it had a brake shaped like an elongated 0 with a hinge across the centre that held it to the frame. You just pushed your foot down on the upper end and the other end applied pressure to the rear wheel. Worked well, as long as you were going in a straight line.

Ahhh - EDIT - mine was not a motor scooter - I was the motor!! - A decades earlier Razor type one is what I had.

1 Like

I forgot to add the gear change was on the handle bar.
I didn’t like that too.
It might just be because I prefer motorcycles to scooters

Ridden a few like this set up

1 Like

Had a scooter with a foot operated rear brake in my early days in Taiwan, CVT with front brake on the right handlebar, was a local brand, maybe a Kymco, and a ghost bike with papers to boot. Drowned in Nari.

1 Like

Friend in college had :point_up: , Honda elite 150cc in late 1980s. Right foot brake. another friend had a Honda 250cc with same foot brake.

1 Like

If this from the 1980s, then this confirms the scooter I saw was from an earlier time, based on the body design and materials. It was weird seeing a scooter without any handlebar levers, and the tires were much narrower than today’s.

yes, I searched for 1987 picture as my friend probably bought it that year. It looks like I remember it did.

For people who also ride motorcycle, it is nice to have the foot brake instead of a brake lever where the clutch should be.

1 Like