Western food in Taoyuan City

Does anyone know of any good resturants in Taoyuan City that serve western food? I’m not talking about fast food restaurants but real restaurants.

Thanks
Ryan

While you are looking around keep in mind the Thai restaurant called Archers in Taoyuan. I wish I could tell you how to get there. I can drive there but not direct anyone.

It has fantastic food in a quality Western standard establishment.

Archers is on Ta Shing West road just north of Chung chen road in Taoyuan…They do have great food.

Nice avatar Ironman :smiling_imp:

[quote=“surrenr”]Does anyone know of any good resturants in Taoyuan City that serve western food? I’m not talking about fast food restaurants but real restaurants.

Thanks
Ryan[/quote]

If you are in Taoyuan city, I’d recommend going to Taimall in Nankan. They have one western style restaurant on the top floor and a Ponderosa steak house. Better still is M&L’s, located a few blocks away. Nankan is a little cell of expat life in the otherwise dead body of Taoyuan.

Other than that, in Taoyuan proper, you are limited to Rodeo’s pub for western fare (apart from McDonald’s and KFC, that is). Not sure if the newly opened Jake’s pub serves food or not (but it’s probably worth checking out).

For non-western, I would also recommend Arches for Thai. As mentioned, it is on daxin xi road. It’s near a large, 24 hour petstore (if that helps. Sorry, I used to have their card with their address, but I lost it) I went there numerous times when I lived in Taoyuan city. You might also want to try the all you can eat Japanese buffet on the top of Tonlin department store. Also, check out the restaurants on the top floors of the Idee and Far East department stores. One of them may have western fare (I seem to remember seeing a western restaurant in one of them, though I’m not sure as I never went in).

Is that better than the Ponderosa in JungLi? Atmosphere was like a Sizzler on a bad day.

What about TGI Fridays? Any in Taoyuan.

Or you could do what we do further south. Save up your appetite and go to Carnegies on the weekend.

Is that better than the Ponderosa in Zhongli? Atmosphere was like a Sizzler on a bad day.

What about TGI Fridays? Any in Taoyuan.

Or you could do what we do further south. Save up your appetite and go to Carnegies on the weekend.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it is the same as the one in Zhongli. Agreed, it’s certainly not a great dining experience, but it’s cheap. M&L’s is better by far.

No TGI Friday’s in Taoyuan city. The one at Dajiang (Metrowalk) is the only one in the area.

One little ray of hope was a resturant I saw some time ago, also on Daxin xi road. It claimed to be a French restaurant. Never checked it out though.

I heartily agree with your final point. Head into Taipei on weekends for real food (my gf is partial to the outragiously priced Ruth’s Chris).

MJB, Ironman, Toasty, et al.

Ok, I’ve started the (greater-Taoyuan-area) ball rolling… help me fill in the gaps (names, directions, contact details, etc.)

See: TaiwanSaffies.com/TaoyuanLive.html

:bravo: