Wack Things in Taiwan 2018

This ‘addiction’ has many names.
One of them is FOMO
Fear Of Missing Out

Fear of missing out - Wikipedia
Fear of missing out, or FOMO, is “a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent”.[2] This social anxiety[3] is characterized by “a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing”.[2] FOMO is also defined as a fear of regret,[4] which may lead to a compulsive concern that one might miss an opportunity for social interaction, a novel experience, a profitable investment, or other satisfying events.[5] In other words, FOMO perpetuates the fear of having made the wrong decision on how to spend time since “you can imagine how things could be different”.[4]

Vegetarian sushi!! Yum.

Q: How many pieces of sushi can you make from one vegetarian?

A: Depends on how thinly you slice them…

3 Likes

Watch those ‘serial likers’ doing their FB thing. Just crazy.:roll_eyes:

http://www.rubbers.com.tw

Just saw the company sign on the highway.
In the US, rubbers are slang for condoms.

And website has contact person: sunny@…

1 Like

Better than those “not-likers” on Youtube. There is always one person who will destroy that perfect record of your video… :slight_smile:

It goes as, like, like mmm…cute, like, like, like, like, hahaha! like, like, like, like, oh looks delicious like, like like likelikelikelikelike … WTF like, likelike, OMG like, likelikelike …

I know this is an old deal and everything, but, seriously, the whole fucking Eat Anytime, Anywhere thing still drives me bugfuck, even after all this time.
I just rode up in a crowded elevator in which these two mutt-brained college-age girls were gobbling up Gπ out of plastic bags shoved up against their muzzles, like they were on the way to the electric fuckin chair or something.
Am I the only one who finds this kind of thing just heinously uncouth???

3 Likes

I keep trying to remind a certain Taiwan friend who claims she knows good etiquette because she lived in France once, that you don’t put your mouth in the spaghetti or soup, you bring the spaghetti or soup to your mouth.

And please chew with your mouth closed.

2 Likes

+9000! One of my biggest pet peeves!

And then they add insult to injury by making smacking noises and sucking air through their teeth.

3 Likes

The burping, the burping.
Old ladies, young ladies. Aghhhh

True story
Many many years ago, on a visit home.
Me, my (then brand new) wife, me sainted Ma, and sister eating in a big fancy Canto/TW restaurant in Richmond.
Ma: So can you tell who’s from Hong Kong and who’s from Taiwan?
Me: Yeah, the ones from Hong Kong are the ones eating with their mouths closed.

My wife actually punched me right in the nuts.

8 Likes

Early train rides. 6-7 in the morning half a sleep. There is always someone in the car, most often close-by, eating oh-ah-mee-sua, aka oyster vermicelli, or a hamburger inside a plastic bag and you smell it and you hear the munching and rustling with the bag all the way to Yilan.

1 Like

My MIL is coming to England tomorrow and I’ve had to warn my parents about the eating issue. We’re talking open mouth, full of food, totally engaged in conversation, bits flying all over the place. My wife wants us all to go to a Michelin starred restaurant as well.

4 Likes

Duh! The guys yelling in Cantonese are the HK folks.

Next!

Guy

If your folks like Indian food, take them to Joseph Bistro—no star, but listed under Bib Gourmet. It’s terrific—and utterly not “whack”!

Guy

I’m currently in England.

Will give it a try when I return to Taiwan, cheers!

1 Like

Right! While you’re there, I’ll work on my reading comprehension skills.

Enjoy your time in the UK!

Guy

1 Like

i agree. i think its actually a massive problem thats effecting people today. its making us lose the ability to significantly focus on anything anymore. theres so many negatives. taiwanese people don’t seem to mind being super addicts. its actually quite easy to just turn the internet off and go hide it somewhere.
i’m actively trying to be less addicted. i’m not hooked like taiwanese people are when i am out and about but at home i’m pretty glued to it. today i’ve had it off for most of the day and i feel pretty great.

1 Like

too true… just another level to the minding your own business so you can act more antisocial culture. i was eating in a food court yesterday, some middle aged woman had her own metal flask full of pai gu soup and she was just sitting their sucking the meat off the bones making the most gross noises that nobody wants to hear when they are eating. i mean its nothing compared to what i saw in china, the tables looked like a battle field when they were finished eating but its still super annoying.