What about Longtan

[quote=“mingshah”]Hey guys, that was just a joke… no, no, no… not move all up here… so quite and peacefull here now… and I am the only foreigner in this community, don’t take my unique status away from me, they all tread me so nice now… :smiley:

and also I just realised: Does that mean I have to live next door to a G E R M A N soon? :astonished:

:smiley:

(I should try to get some % of the sales prices… :wink: )[/quote]

Hey, I have beein in Vienna 3 times already. That makes me almost k.u.k, right…

Well, the foothills are nice, but check out the top as well.

Vienna is just 2 steps better than German for a guy from Salzburg. :smiley:

But let’s take it as good will, not your fault you were born in the wrong country… :wink:

[quote=“xtrain”]dude, don’t buy anything that you are not happy with.

longtan is a great place, especially if you want things a little quieter and cleaner. is there any chance that you can convince her to live there 6 months to a year in a rental? if it’s acceptable, then look for something nearby to buy?

we have a pretty good set up in Taoyuan right now (rented house 2 minutes from the mountains). if you are outvoted as to where you are going to spend the $$$ to buy a place, you may at least want to look around here - there are places for sale as well as for rent. gimme a PM if so.[/quote]

And don’t marry a woman that already bought a place you’re not happy with and if you ask her to lease (rent) a place make sure she doesn’t buy it instead, and be shure she hasn’t bought a place in the sticks, between the rubbish or some other place you didn’t know about or/and you’re not happy with … because sometimes you can’t get rid of the darn things without losing money … :s and than you need to work your ars off to get the darn things paid for or make up for the lost money … so be sure you married a money savvy lady or marry one that knows her way in this realty mess.

Or marry one who agrees with you.

So far mother in law’s God has rejected the house in Longtan. Now I was getting into a long really nasty rant why I should care for the opinion of one of the 500 binlang-chewing Chinese gods, what is so special about them if there are 500 of their kin.

But then my wife pointed out, the houses (Sunshine villa or so, close to ACER Asprire, but no part of it) are all sold as vacation places for the weekend to Taipei people and only we would live there and the area has no security guard but is close to the ACER security area.

So I guess that makes the place a bit vulnarable, as burglars will be attracted by the “rich man” area and probably get scared away by the security guards and thus end up with our house… :astonished:

So I meet Mingshah and we take a look at the area. And I forgot to PM xtrain because my wife immediately creamed something about “traffic traffic jam” when I tried to decribe it to her…

Oh yes, the mother-in-laws gods. They were asked before we moved to Taiwan too, they said I will be rich in the next 3 years and have great fortune just starting soon. Just have to sit here and wait and it will drop into my hands. :wink:

So which complex in the area did you check out than? Not the one in the Aspire Park it self as we have usually up to 10 security guards at a time and cameras everywhere (on the streets and out side, sorry no shower cams or so… :wink: ).

Oh, and thanks for the “living in the rich mans area”. Still surprised that me poor mountain guy from a tiny village over there made it to sneak in here. :laughing:

Oh, and here are also some hoses just filled with people on weekend, they have to work in Taipei so they live there in appartments, but if they want to life, they come back here. And guess what, most of them would prefer to stay here during the week too, just Acer moved and they went with them.

Anyway, let’s meet tomorow and you have a look.

Bob, I have the solution for you.

1. Take out fat life insurance policy for your wife.
  2. Wait patiently one or two years and make no complaint about the shithole she forces you to live in.
  3. Go on overseas business trip.
  4. I pay her a visit while you’re away.
  5. ???
  6. Profit.

j/k of course, but your situation is exactly why I married a girl from a family that doesn’t buy into any of this superstitious bullshit.

[quote=“redwagon”]Bob, I have the solution for you.

1. Take out fat life insurance policy for your wife.
  2. Wait patiently one or two years and make no complaint about the shithole she forces you to live in.
  3. Go on overseas business trip.
  4. I pay her a visit while you’re away.
  5. ???
  6. Profit.

j/k of course, but your situation is exactly why I married a girl from a family that doesn’t buy into any of this superstitious bullshit.[/quote]

Aaaaaaaaarrg, if she gets run over by a bakery truck tonight someone will read this and we both will end up in death row.

Here is the house we looked at…

I just think no security guard is not so good close to secured area.

And “rich”, well, if so many Taiwanese wouldn’t have given all Dollars to her parents…

[quote=“bob_honest”]
Aaaaaaaaarrg, if she gets run over by a bakery truck tonight someone will read this and we both will end up in death row.[/quote]Hmmm. Bakery truck eh? Usually the spouses don’t get that picky about the cause of death, but everything is negotiable… :wink:
Did you go buy the insurance yet? :smiling_imp:

This is amazing. Even when there is no reason not to put windows on two sides of a room, they don’t do it. Why is it these people choose to live in dark caves?

Well, Bob how come you have not chedked out MJB’s, Ironman’s, Wookie’s and my Sunny Forest Hill yet?

Regarding the wife, and how to handle her, then it would appear that you have an intercultural issue there. I can assure you that most Taiwanese guys would not stand for any of that, to put it mildly.

Longtan and vicinity looks and sounds great. It just seems so … well … far from Taipei for daily access, say for work. I feel stupid saying that 30 kilometers or whatever is far, but around here, it can take forever and increase blood pressure significantly.

What do you folks think who actually live there?

I used to work in Taipei and commute from Yangmei. The drive in mornings was not too bad - 45 minutes only. However note that I left home at 6:20 AM due to the fact that I was a financial analyst, who get into the office early. If you leave after 7 AM you are looking at 60-90 minutes.

Back home in the evenings. Leaving at 7:15PM would be home around half past 8.

I later worked in Taiyuan and commuted. It took one hour from Yangmei, as the freeway would be a complete mess.

One foreigner lived here and worked in Keelong. he was not too unhappy about things, I think.

If you have an issue with spending 2 hrs per day in a traffic jam, then too bad.

Bob came (today), he saw and he was lost to the place. Seems that it is not to bad here at all, even his (usually very critical) better half seemed to like it. Well, let’s see what the gods say and the mother-in-law and the other 500 relatives. :smiley:

Adn bob Honest won’t even check out the top of the mountain?

He, spill the beans. What is so damn interesting about the top of your bloody mountain?? Inquiring minds need to know.

That is a very personal question. I think it’s the size, the volcanic eruptions, and the hot, molten, lava flows. At least that is what the lady mountaineers used to tell me.

The sheer beauty of the area.

A large variety of housing available, all in a peaceful and tranquil setting. Lots of greenery, and more park space per inhabitant than most of Taiwan can offer.

A small, but vibrant group of foreigners living there adds to the attraction of the area.

The higher altitude means that we get cool and soothing breezes in the summer. There is less pollution up here than in either yangmei or Longtan proper.

I offerd him to contact one of you guys and to guide him over but “the big boss” denied the request but they will be soon again in the area I think. At least he got an impression how it is, not so much difference from ours to yours anyway if you compare it with the rest of Taiwan. :wink:

You are right - not much difference.