What am I looking for in a color laser printer?

I’m looking for a color laser printer. Nothing too expensive, just a home-office type.
Any particular things to look out for?
Any recommendations?

I’m going to North America next week. Is it better to buy there or here?

Thanks.

Erm… I can help you with two points.

You definitely need:

1. Colour (or color)
  2. A laser

YMMV, of course, but I have consistently gotten SCREWED when buying Epson, either because of insurmountable or near-insurmountable driver issues, wherein drivers for local SKUs match poorly with English OS, or other problems.
I got a Canon i560, it’s brilliant.

[quote=“the chief”]YMMV, of course, but I have consistently gotten SCREWED when buying Epson, either because of insurmountable or near-insurmountable driver issues, wherein drivers for local SKUs match poorly with English OS, or other problems.
I got a Canon i560, it’s brilliant.[/quote]
Is that a laser Chief?

How hard is it to get sharks with friggen lasers attached to their heads?

(sorry couldn’t pass up that opportunity…)

Ooops, sorry, color, yes, printer, yes, laser, no.
2 for 3, I’ve done worse.
(Note to self: Read ALL the words, then reply…)

[quote=“Truant”]I’m looking for a color laser printer. Nothing too expensive, just a home-office type.
Any particular things to look out for?
Any recommendations?

I’m going to North America next week. Is it better to buy there or here?

Thanks.[/quote]

Try this

http://www.wickedlasers.com

Instead of printing with laser you can actually BURN with this laser… dont point them at anyone’s eye though, will cause instant blindness

I like my Oki C5300N or whatever it is called. Reliable, nice almost glossy print on regular paper. When I got mine, I also looked at a Minolta and a HP. Both weren’t able to make such a nice print out. If you want to print in bulk, get one with 4 print units, they are way faster. And of course look at the prices for consumables.

If you are in North America, definitively go to Best Buy or any other computer appliance store and get some test prints of each model to compare. I don’t think they do that here in Taiwan.

Unless you get a good deal on air cargo, buy it here. Mine weighs 60 kg. Or was it 60 lbs.
Not sure anymore.

I wouldn’t buy overseas and bring back unless you’re sure you can get parts here. I brought over a nifty Brother MFC all-in-one machine and when the drum needed fixing, I couldn’t find the part anywhere in all of Asia-Pac. Damn me :blush:

Buy local and stay with your usual reputable brands. Color lasers are so cheap nowadays :astonished:

I am looking for one as well. The best bang for the buck for printing photos.

Any suggestions?

[quote=“irishstu”]Erm… I can help you with two points.

You definitely need:

1. Colour (or color)
  2. A laser[/quote]What colour lasers ?

Also, if you wear a tin-foil hat to bed, or are planning to use your printer for terrorism, you might want one that doesn’t secretly print its serial number, time, and date on everything you print. eff.org/Privacy/printers/

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I am looking for one as well. The best bang for the buck for printing photos.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

I would not get a color laser printer to print photos. Unfortunately, the high precision is bad, as you always see some sort of pattern in photo prints. And the colors don’t mix as well as ink jet printers. I think the resolution is also lower. I have never seen a print out of a 1200 dpi color laser though.

if your primary intent is photo then use a good inkjet printers. If your intent is to print lots and lots of color ads or brochures then get color laser.

If all you are doing is black and white office prints then a cheap black and white laser will work.

[quote=“rahimiiii”]if your primary intent is photo then use a good inkjet printers. If your intent is to print lots and lots of color ads or brochures then get color laser.

If all you are doing is black and white office prints then a cheap black and white laser will work.[/quote]

Or if you are printing a master thesis or dissertation, get a color laser with 4 print units. They are worth it.

I just bought the Epson Stylus CX 4100.

It is an ink jet printer with a built in scanner.

5760 DPI

1200 DPI Scanner

I is great. Prints nice photos.

Not as good as something made in a darkroom of course but not too bad at all.

Nt 2900

ok, I bought one today.

It seems in Taiwan, there are only a few Home Office lasers that are readily available:
HP 2600n
Epson C1100
Xerox (cant remember the model)
Minolta (cant remember the model)
there may be a few others, but being able to readily buy reasonably priced cartridges is the aim of the game.

After reviewing them I opted for the Epson. I have had a few HPs and the cost of consumables has always been at the high end.
The same this time for the 2600n.
The Epson outranks the HP in all areas, except the HP comes network ready.
The HP replacement toners are good for 2500 pages and are about 200nt or so cheaper than the Epson cartridges that do 4000 pages.

Epson 13400nt from GRB, B1 in Nova
HP 12400nt from GRB in Nova
(Cheapest place I found)

Interesting note:
The Epson box is huge, and heavy. After dragging it from Nova to the train station basement carpark (an absolute mission with 2 people) I discoverd that it had no chance of fitting into the trunk. It almost fitted into the rear seat (Medium sized car) but in the end I had to take it out of the box to fit all the pieces in. :noway:

In some cases if you buy a printer that large they will deliver it for you… in fact if they will I would ask for delivery cause if you didnt have a large van or pickup (blue truck) you will have little chance carrying that home.