What are adult KTVs like in Taiwan?

What’s in the bags? Ice cold six-packs of beer?

1 Like

Wet wipes?

2 Likes

I don’t get it. Is it a brothel or are people seriously paying money to have the girls sing with them?

1 Like

“It can be both things.”

• Old Taiwanese proverb.
6 Likes

I can’t say I understand the singing part. I would prefer just the sex part if I was to pay for a girl’s time.

2 Likes

That whole kind of thing is tremendously popular and a common part of the local nightlife scene here. Singing, drinking, conversation, with some kind of bill, maybe something more later or maybe not at all.

3 Likes

I guess some people are just lonely and the sex itself isn’t that important for their needs. They probably just want to have the attention of a young girl like they’re the man. It’s not unlike making it rain at a strip club now that I think about it.

I’m just not so into singing, but it seems people love it.

3 Likes

Imagine if Taiwan got rid of all semi-illegal KTVs, hostess bars, snake alley streetwalkers and the like. And just focused on the ”legal”‘provision for red-light districts. Introduce Macau style legal gambling as well. Would make the whole industry much more regulated, upscale and probably safer.

Well, I dunno. I’ve never bothered to partake, but apparently some people like it just the way it is, so if it were regulated and streamlined it would probably take away all the fun. Unlike in, say, Europe, there appears to be very little coercion or trafficking involved and there are no pimp-controlled hordes of whores walking the streets and making the place look untidy. So I’d say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

The Asian approach to prostitution - which just blurs the lines between ‘dating’ and ‘paying for sex’ rather than deleting the line entirely - has a certain logic to it.

2 Likes

From what I’ve ‘heard’ those jiudian are a bit seedy but the girls generally aren’t put in harms way. I mean they aren’t the best places to work but they pay a lot of money, people who work there are students, single mothers, all types. They aren’t illegal and they don’t offer sexual services in general.

And the girls themselves want to find a sugar daddy in many cases.

The singing is just an excuse to kind of interact and have fun (for the guys…For the girls it’s work isn’t it). I think it’s more Japanese culture isn’t it that was transplanted here.

Actually I should mention there’s some some for women too. Almost exactly the same format.

They work on the same principle , middle aged and older folks getting attention or more from younger attractive people.

Some places the hostess carries the tools of the trade with them. Tissues, paper cups, lotion, mouthwash, excetera. Whatever might be needed in a situation.

3 Likes

I love a good paper cupping

1 Like

what the …? Why?

Assuming proper glasses/cups are provided for drinking beer, I’ve clearly led a sheltered life.

1 Like

I’m skeptical. My impression is it’s a thing around this part of the world in general, leaving out the Muslim countries.

1 Like

First let’s just be aware there are many many kinds of KTVS providing anything from a singing partner to some other type of partner.

A paper cup might be useful if someone found something in their mouth that they didn’t want to swallow so could easily spit it into a paper cup. And trash it later.

Never ever pick up a paper cup and drink from it in a KTV.

1 Like

This should be a sticky.

7 Likes

Ah right - betelnut. Thanks for the public service announcement!

No seriously, thanks for the glimpse into a world most of us will not visit or work in.

1 Like

Pun intended?

1 Like

:no_no:

1 Like

Girls for old guys?