What are Kaohsiung people like, generally?

Roughly 2 more months to go. It’s some bullshit. I don’t even leave my apartment anymore unless I really need to. Just being around these people makes my body and my senses go into shock. Would never recommend this nation of bullies to anyone unless you are a 60 year old retiree with nothing else to live for.

In the meantime, I’ll brush up on my Chinese and make some online friends from Kaohsiung so I’m not flailing about when I arrive.

I avoid outside so idk. I get bad allergies from pollution.

Seconded

sounds kinda hot if I’m honest

I wouldn’t know where to start, or how to maintain any sort of coherence. It would end up as an atavistic howl of rage and frustration, a pointless lament at the depths to which humanity can sink when left to wallow in its own crapulence.

While I’m in a relatively good mood, I’ll just say that I’ve met some Filipinos (roughly, five) who put the rest of their countrymen to shame (or would, if they had any shame). Whenever the thieves from the government come around to steal from them, or their neighbors do something vile to them, they just take it on the chin, dust themselves off, and get on with the job of making the world a slightly better place with equanimity. How they do that, I just don’t know. I’m assuming that one day, they’ll get a red glint in their eyes, fire up a chainsaw, and say to the wife, “I am just going outside. I may be some time”.

3 Likes

Perfect! You should start a new thread for this. I’m sure it will be very edifying for all of us.

I’m would kill to get a good balut in Taiwan. And rum.

Just say, Taiwan was a bit of a dump and got tidied up over the last 20+ years.

1 Like

Most nations take pride in their food, except the English and the Dutch!

Filipinos don’t take pride in their food or their work which is why you see Japanese and Korean establishments absolutely killing it here, despite being disliked.

But c’mon dude, you gotta admit lechon is the shit! (And I mean that in a good way)

Sometimes. Mostly they can’t even get that right. They don’t feed the pig properly, slaughter it too young (so there’s no actual meat on it), and then leave the carcass lying around all day to get good and stinky before cooking. Had one a while back at the restaurant (one that the customer had brought in themselves) that had a load of maggots in the middle. It takes some seriously unhygienic handling for that to happen.

Filipino food, when it’s done right, isn’t bad. However the average Filipino isn’t interested in doing it right. As long as he’s got half a kilo of rice on his plate drenched in Magic Sarap, he’s happy.

1 Like

Is lechon supposed to be salty? Like really salty? That was my take on it.

I had my gf help me cook specific meals, but I put an end to that after I caught her dumping in a whole bunch of MSG one day in what she was making. And then she started crying and said she wanted to kill herself because I very gently told her it’s not healthy and that maybe she should try something else.

Maggots? Wow, that’s even worse than getting a baby roach in your soup. Was this in the Philippines or in Taiwan? I could see them fucking up Filipino food in the “ghost island” like they do Vietnamese and Thai food, but I actually haven’t even come across any Filipino joints here.

Anyway, I remember having good to great meals during my brief experience of like 5 days in Cebu years and years ago… but that was a long time ago and we mostly ate at high-end or recommended places.

Don’t think so. It’s basically just BBQ pig, usually stuffed with lemongrass or similar. Pretty hard to fuck it up, but … well …

It’s possible some places will salt it, but I’ve never noticed that.

What did you expect? MSG is virtually a deity. :slight_smile:

Same here. Go to top-grade restaurants and you’ll get some top-grade nosh (especially in Cebu, for some reason). Everywhere else … sigh.

The maggot episode was in the Philippines. They were discovered in the middle of the pig, so at this point the guests had basically eaten all the meat. It was their own lechon brought in from outside, so we (the staff) hadn’t had anything to do with it, or tasted it. Fortunately. We just got rid of it quietly, even though it wasn’t our fault.

None of the guests noticed, but it must have been slightly rancid.

Protein!

You’d probably shriek like an Opera singer if you saw maggots wriggling through your lunchbox meal.

1 Like

You probably never were on a survival course?

Does flying economy on United Airlines count?

2 Likes

If they feed you maggots!