What are my options? (associates degree: is there a UK equivalent?)

Hi, I’m a 20 year old from the UK who wishes to move to Taiwan (kinda a life goal).
I’m at University, but doing a preliminary course which then gets me onto a degree and I’m finding it harrowing so far as it’s very dull and I don’t like the university environment. The only reason why I am here is so I can move to Taiwan.
However, I heard you can move to Taiwan with an associates degree without issues, so is there a UK equivalent? If so, what is it called and would that be sufficient enough to get me to Taiwan?
I’d rather avoid doing another three years of this if I can as I hate the uni, the people, student life and everything with it.
I’d appreciate any help, thanks.

I did an HND and Taiwan doesn’t seem to recognise that, unfortunately. No way am I going back to uni just to get a bachelors though.

Although i think it’s an utter crime against humanity, many visas for many countries put a heavy emphasis on education. I have a decade of work experience at a pretty high level in my field and yet I still hit issues for not having a degree when I was applying for jobs and such in Taiwan and other places like Canada.

Surly there must also be other reasons? Anyway what will you do in Taiwan? And why Taiwan?

You definitely need to go to Taiwan where hate don’t exist.

2 Likes

Is your degree online now?

What do you want to do in Taiwan? Teach? <-- Not a great path, considering the birth rate of Taiwan.
If some other type of job/sector, you now have probably 1 year before Taiwan opens up again to just any random person/traveler. So, in the meantime, start taking Mandarin Chinese class, and not just speaking. Be able to read the characters up to maybe the newspaper level. That’ll beautify your CV by a lot.

1 Like

Yeah I agree entirely mate. It’s a real pain. So you found no work in Taiwan I take it? Are you there now?

Taiwan looks great. I’d love to learn chinese and just explore an entirely different culture. I’ve wanted to move there since I was like 12, and it’s the only thing that gives me some sort of drive and energy to get out of bed in the morning.
I’d probably be a teacher as the work culture there isn’t great, so like IT and stuff is off the table.

Yes pretty much. I have no clue when it will be back to in person teaching, but I’m still paying full price.

No I’m in the UK right now. I found lots of job adverts that were in my field, most of them a step down for me but that’s fine, but I could either not apply without a degree or didn’t hear anything back if I could. Don’t speak or read Chinese though so that’s another thing perhaps.

Perhaps that’s just my luck though, I’d still hunt around before you quit anything to get an idea)

In what respect?

You need more drive! Why didn’t you attend a university in Taiwan?

Like everything about it, the mountains, the cities and accessibility, the food, quality of life. It’s much better than shitty UK.

And yeah you may be right, I give up way too easily, but it’s this or the military…

I’d love to go to a university in Taiwan but I’m quite broke at the moment and covid probably affects me entering anyway.

Taiwan universities are dirt cheap compared to the UK, and you would be able to work part time to help pay for it.

There’s a fair chance they’ll give you a scholarship.