What are the benefits of APRC card

That’s a helpful overview, even though there are a few specific points that are not strictly accurate. The author of that Commonwealth Magazine article Larry Johnson writes:

The types of APRC are listed below, and full details are covered in this [article]:

1. ​Normal foreign worker APRC
2. Gold Card/Special Professional APRC
3. Spouse/Child of Taiwan ROC national APRC (currently holds JFRV, aka “依親 Yiqin” or family-dependent ARC).
4. Dependent on foreign skilled professional APRC holder APRC
5. Investment (Plum Blossom) APRC
6. Missionary APRC

For category 5, namely the Plum Blossom card holders, investment is only one route. I think most of us in that category got there through the other route as “senior professionals.”

Guy

1 Like

Yeah, I also noticed, but in general it helps.
This could be a good reference:
National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan) - Amended Instructions on Document Submission for Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (Plum Blossom Card) Applications by Foreigners Who Have Made Special Contributions to Taiwan or Are Senior Professionals or Investment Immigrants(Serial No. 0917)

I almost lost interest to read here.

you have to be on one ARC type for the whole five years.

and stopped here

Ability to declare yourself unemployed and receive related welfare benefits

1 Like

this is why I posted the article from NIA.
Point one: one type of ARC, it’s not explained in a correct way but actually it’s true.
point two, you’re right, therefore I’ve attached a new article.

It is not hard to find accurate information on official sites. I’m not sure whether it is more helpful or harmful when the article is spreading these kind of false information.

I thought the five years for the APRC could be calculated using different ARC types. That is not true, you have to be on one ARC type for the whole five years.

You can combine years on different types of ARC for the 5 years to get an APRC, unless you want to apply for ARPC as a foreign special/senior professional.

I thought I did not have to apply for an open work permit because I have a Taiwanese spouse. That is not the case, even people with dependent ARCs must apply for a work permit after they receive their APRC.

Open work permit must be useful practically, but it is not a legal mandate, when you have an APRC and your spouse has a HHR.

Article 48 of Employment Service Act

Prior to employing foreign worker to engage in work, employer shall apply to the central competent authority for employment permit with relevant documents submitted. However, the following foreigners are exempted:

2. A foreign worker has married a national of the Republic of China with a registered residence in the Republic of China and has been permitted to stay therein.

Article 9-1 of Enforcement Rules of Employment Service Law

The circumstances as referred to in Subparagraph 2 of Paragraph 1 of Article 48 of the Act include those to whom the competent authorities in charge of the entry and exitadministrative authority issue residence permits in accordance with Subparagraph 1 of Paragraph 1 of Article 23 of the Immigration Act, permanent residence permit in accordance with Article 25 of the same Act or extended residence permit in accordance with Subparagraph 1 to Subparagraph 5 of Paragraph 4 of Article 31 of the same Act.

As well, if you get your APRC as a foreign professional, open work permit is not a legal mandate for you and your dependents with APRC, except for your adult children who can live independently.

Article 7 of Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals

A foreign professional, foreign special professional, or foreign senior professional, their spouse, child under the age of majority, and child over the age of majority who is unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, having obtained permanent residency, need not apply to the Ministry of Labor or Ministry of Education for a permit to engage in work in the State.

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that by moving from a spouse dependent ARC to a spouse APRC, the applicant loses the ability to stay out of Taiwan for more than 6 months per year without asking for permission from NIA?